zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Skimz Zar Reactors
Last Post: Rsafron
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 689
0 new to zeovit
Last Post: Kproescher
Posted On: Today
Replies: 209
Views: 19,165
0 High ph 8.5 zeovit
Last Post: vaddevill
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 Zeostart NO3 and low PO4
Last Post: skull
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 20
Views: 1,058
0 GIVEAWAY: Eshopps Bio Lux
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 04-21-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 30
0 GIVEAWAY: AI Prime Fuge | The LED light for Refugiums
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 146
0 Helping dosing zeo system.
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 90
Views: 4,714
0 Mein Zeobecken
Last Post: Robert Haase
Posted On: 04-20-2019
Replies: 82
Views: 9,485
0 Making the switch after 30 years of reefing.
Last Post: StinkFish
Posted On: 04-20-2019
Replies: 8
Views: 153
More...
Old 04-06-2019, 12:32 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Default Rowaphos

Forum, anyone have used rowaphos along zeovit? I know zeovit do not recommend using po4 remover, but never understood why other than "not to drip po4 to zero or drop it too quick and stun the coral".
Is there any other issue when running a good po4 remover like rowaphos with zeovit?
Can you share your experince? How did you use it, how long, why..etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2019, 01:04 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

I don't have a good theory,
I have no practical experience with Rowa.
it might be like this.

By adding an absorbent to the system, you can create a competition of PO4 between Zeovit and PO4 remover. Usually the PO4 absorbent will win this game. The first result will be the disappearance of nitrifying bacteria on the stone, which will lead to the stagnation of ZEOvit (stone) in the reactor. This will cause NO3 to increase and other problems.

Probably may have a biological impact

Old 04-09-2019, 01:56 AM
HarryGriggs HarryGriggs 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Forum, anyone have used rowaphos along zeovit? I know zeovit do not recommend using po4 remover, but never understood why other than "not to drip po4 to zero or drop it too quick and stun the coral".
Is there any other issue when running a good po4 remover like rowaphos with zeovit?
Can you share your experince? How did you use it, how long, why..etc

Hi Ohashimz,

From my research as I had the same question it has become apparent that zeostart3 which is the carbon source contains nitrates. This allows the system to remove phostphates even if the system is nitrate poor as well as giving the corals that extra nutrient source.

If you use rowaphos it can remove to much phostphate for the beneficial bacteria to reproduce, I.e. the bacteria cultures we are trying to achieve with zeovit will not have enough phostphate to grow.

That is my understanding I'm sure others will chime in if I am wrong

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

After some research here is what informstions I found:

Beside the risk of reducing po4 too quick or reducing it to zero which we know why it's a no no,
Rowphos contain iron which attract bacteria. So bacteria build up on the surface of the gfo and might outcompete the bacterial build up on the zeolites. This means when you change the rowaphose you might suddenly reduce the bacterial population suddenly which might creat biological imbalance.
That's also why some times when using rowaphos you can see bacterial bloom for the first couple of days.

That being said I do not see other issue of using gfo with zeovit honestly.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
After some research here is what informstions I found:

Beside the risk of reducing po4 too quick or reducing it to zero which we know why it's a no no,
Rowphos contain iron which attract bacteria. So bacteria build up on the surface of the gfo and might outcompete the bacterial build up on the zeolites. This means when you change the rowaphose you might suddenly reduce the bacterial population suddenly which might creat biological imbalance.
That's also why some times when using rowaphos you can see bacterial bloom for the first couple of days.

That being said I do not see other issue of using gfo with zeovit honestly.

If this is the case then will removing the zeolite media cause a biological imbalance every time it needs to be exchanged?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryGriggs View Post
If this is the case then will removing the zeolite media cause a biological imbalance every time it needs to be exchanged?

Yes it will, hence you are suppose to remove 90% and keep 10% so you help re establish the bacterial population quickly. If you change all the zeolite with new one, system can go through a mini cycle.
The imbalance I referred to is the sharp reduction on the bacteria. Similar to when you remove big parts of the rocks or substrate, system go through a mini cycle.
Remember we are talking here about big change in the bacterial population, not saying such events will remove all the bacteria....make sense?

Old 04-10-2019, 03:40 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Yes it will, hence you are suppose to remove 90% and keep 10% so you help re establish the bacterial population quickly. If you change all the zeolite with new one, system can go through a mini cycle.
The imbalance I referred to is the sharp reduction on the bacteria. Similar to when you remove big parts of the rocks or substrate, system go through a mini cycle.
Remember we are talking here about big change in the bacterial population, not saying such events will remove all the bacteria....make sense?

I understand your thought process but when you consider the bacterial concentrations on the zeovit media compared to rowaphos I do not believe the rowaphos would cause a significant impact at all. We must also remember there are substantial bacteria populations in the water column, sand bed and rock work which would be far higher than that on the surface area of the rowaphos.

I have never seen any bacterial mass grow on rowaphos when you can quite clearly see it on the zeovit media.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:42 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
I understand your thought process but when you consider the bacterial concentrations on the zeovit media compared to rowaphos I do not believe the rowaphos would cause a significant impact at all. We must also remember there are substantial bacteria populations in the water column, sand bed and rock work which would be far higher than that on the surface area of the rowaphos.

I have never seen any bacterial mass grow on rowaphos when you can quite clearly see it on the zeovit media.

Yeh..maybe.
As I said my earlier sharing is my thoughts and personal conclusion. I might be wrong lol

Old 04-10-2019, 03:47 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Yeh..maybe.
As I said my earlier sharing is my thoughts and personal conclusion. I might be wrong lol

Yes and same here, I'm not trying to say any one person's opinion is wrong I'm just trying to put across my thoughts in what I hope reads as a constructive manner. Sorry if any offence has been caused as that was not my intention! We all want to help each other at the end of the day

Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Yes and same here, I'm not trying to say any one person's opinion is wrong I'm just trying to put across my thoughts in what I hope reads as a constructive manner. Sorry if any offence has been caused as that was not my intention! We all want to help each other at the end of the day

Oh no no, there is no offence at all. At all.
I am really trying to find the answer and I recognize that I do not have it...