zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 About to start running the ZEOvit system
Last Post: bckey
Posted On: Today
Replies: 34
Views: 1,790
0 High no3 and po4
Last Post: babajaga
Posted On: Today
Replies: 10
Views: 164
0 REFRIGERATED FOODS Flat Rate $7.99 2-Day Air Shipping
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 41
0 Curious about all zeovit tank T5 combination
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 5
Views: 737
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: ycnibrc
Posted On: 12-11-2019
Replies: 30
Views: 8,701
0 What's NEW from Tropic Eden? + 40% OFF Premium Refractometer
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 95
0 vermetid snails.. and success stories
Last Post: Mario_B
Replies: 16
Views: 517
0 Daelie's Reefer 250
Replies: 3
Views: 239
0 Rollermat with full Zeo
Posted On: 12-10-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 232
4 Featured Tank . Pawel Szember (paszembe) - Poland
Last Post: tony73
Posted On: 12-10-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 8,676
More...
Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default switching back to ZEOvit

Hello all,

I've been entertaining the idea to move over to zeovit for a while not, not much in my aquarium a this point so it will be in my eyes regarded more or less a fresh start.

I was not planning on implementing a full zeo program, just bits and pieces.

I'll lay it out here, all feedback would be appreciated.

--> so it will be bb, (Im syphoning that sand out on my regulair water changes)
--> planning to keep my Kh on the higher end of the spectrum.. lets say 8,5-9,0 than reccomended,, would that be an issue?
--> active carbon, yes but in fluidized filter half of recommended passive quantity that is that ok i take it?
--> I dont have calcium reactor on this setup, balling method with 3 containers..( Calcium Chloride, Sodiumbicarbonate and Magnesiumchloride... First 2 enriched with fm trace) in due time I'll start dosing amino's from KZ
--> KZ, zeoliths are clearly must and they will be used as advised
--> regatding KZ additives plan was to use constantly zeobak, first two months seostart and sezofood,, but idea is to to stop using last 2, and in due time to replace them with distilled booze like vodka or or plum brandy (Slivovitz)

all other things such as lignting, strong skimming, water movenment and turnover through sump, ro, filter sock etc. will be in check..

Thank you fro your attention,

Mario
Old 11-24-2019, 08:13 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Try to answer some questions

ZeoVit system, recommended Kh 6.5~7.5

Zeo Carbon, most of the recommended use of bags placed in sump, passive flight. If you use a filter, maybe 1/2 less (I'm not sure).
Use recommended amount, bag, passive flight, 30 days replacement, is the easiest / energy saving / convenient way

Make sure there are no other trace elements is good

Yes, using ZeoVit materials to achieve the desired level of nutrition (ULNS)

Different carbon sources have different formulations and effects. It is believed that the founders of the Zeo system have undergone different tests and experiments and believe that such “composite” carbon sources are good,for the Zeo system

I would recommend that you use a complete system anyway, which would be better.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

hey Jacky and thank you for your reply.

yes I am aware recommended Kh is within 6.5~7.5, but it seems to be at a low end of the range for my taste. Thats why I'd like to know more in a sense of why shall I keep so low kh and will I be doing something wrong if I set it at 8,5 -9,0. It is also a PH buffer, I travel every now and than for my field work and it is normal for me to be away for a 3-4 days every month so keeping it low as 6,5 looks like asking for trouble.

I love my reef octopus fluidized filter,had that thing for yeras and feel pity to end it.. so probably I'll stick with it.

>recommend that you use a complete system anyway

Well I have to confess aquarium I plan is not my first zeovit sistem.. I was there back in the day in 2004. when we first heard of the system. Had it for a 3 years, but had to move so that made the end of it....

still got the vid of that tank on youtube, if you want to take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zMCnEYk5o

back than we did it all by the book, it was a new thing..One thing is sure, Zeovit systems stood the test of time, in a meanwhile tons of new research and experiences came out.. so Im just wondering here.

with all due respect to offical active carbon and bacteria food isnt it just an active carbon and carbon as energy sources for bacterial growth? provided you've got good and clean stuff of course..

but the bottom line is I just plan to have it as to lower the nutrients strategy, would not go into chasing extreme colors of sps, nor trying to push the expectations to the edge..
Old 11-24-2019, 11:44 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

I watched these two videos, a sea anemone and a feeding show. The video is very relaxing and I like it, great sharing, thank you.

I talked about my thoughts. I can't say that I am right. I have no actual evidence from experiments and scientific analysis.

The basic water quality parameters are kept in the range "New South Wales", the water quality of the sea is "balanced" and the "inline" parameters, which should be relevant. (As for why I can't tell you the clear answer)

NP is like a protective film that protects coral tissue (dark tissue appearance / "very healthy"). When the water quality approaches 0, the symbiotic algae leave the host, at which time the coral has no symbiotic algae (a burden of burden), begins to change, and changes in light/element. At this time, the coral is more "fragile". When one side is unbalanced, or the high/low element, it will bring pressure to the coral. For example, Kh is too high, the top of the coral is burning, and the coral cannot pass such pressure.

The most important thing is that the water quality parameters remain stable and are modeled on the parameters of natural seawater and remain balanced. For example, magnesium is seriously deficient and kh/Ca cannot be maintained.

Zeo Start and Zeo Food are different products

ZeoStart
This is the carbon source. It smells like vinegar. Maybe a mixture of vinegar, sugar and/or other substances, but I don't know what it is.
ZeoStart helps the proliferation of nitrifying bacteria, which essentially eat phosphates and nitrates, and it also provides a stable biology.

Zeofood
This is a food source of corals and bacteria and contains amino acids.

This is roughly the case, not very correct.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:57 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Mario, I try to answer your questions as follows:

Quote:
--> so it will be bb, (Im syphoning that sand out on my regulair water changes)
Basically the system can also be used for bare bottom tanks but from my experience the biological stability is much more robust if a shallow sand bed is used.

Quote:
--> planning to keep my Kh on the higher end of the spectrum.. lets say 8,5-9,0 than reccomended,, would that be an issue?
Natural Seawater has a KH in the range of 7.5 – 8 so higher levels will just cause issues. My recommendation is a maximum KH of 8 but even if the level is 7 it will not have any kind of a negative impact. The lower nutrients are the more important it is to not have the livel to high but stabile.

Quote:
--> active carbon, yes but in fluidized filter half of recommended passive quantity that is that ok i take it?
For the transfer I would recommend to passive flow he carbon in a mash bag in the sump, you can change it later if you like to use the reactor. In the case of a reactor just use 50% of the recommended quantity and replace it every 3 weeks. The passive flow is more “gentle” so it is the better choice for the transfer.

Quote:
--> I dont have calcium reactor on this setup, balling method with 3 containers..( Calcium Chloride, Sodiumbicarbonate and Magnesiumchloride... First 2 enriched with fm trace) in due time I'll start dosing amino's from KZ
I would recommend to just use the Ca and the KH component, Mg can be used additional if the level is to low but usually it works well to refresh this element with the regular water changes if the salt mix has a adequate concentration. A Mg level of ~1280 mg is working well. What I would recommend to stop are the additional trace elements which are mixed in the Can and KH supplement.

Quote:
--> regatding KZ additives plan was to use constantly zeobak, first two months seostart and sezofood,, but idea is to to stop using last 2, and in due time to replace them with distilled booze like vodka or or plum brandy (Slivovitz)
Not sure about the question but I would recommend to use the systems components instead of anything else as we know they are working well (ZeoBac / ZeoStart). If you like to get a dosing recommendation for the transfer please post some more information about your system:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

G.Alexander
Old 11-25-2019, 08:05 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

[QUOTE=G.Alexander;346752]

G. I have a question. [The lower the nutritional level, the more important it is to maintain a high level of nutrition rather than a stable level]

Can this "higher nutritional level" have other explanations? (forgive my stupidity)

Here is my understanding, I don't know if it is similar to what you said.

I realized that when the water quality is in the ULNS, I always need more dose/more frequency of nutritious food supply to maintain the coral appearance.

If NP is a number, is it N = 0, P < 0.03 ppm.
Or N>?, P<0.03 ppm?

Or according to the appearance of the coral, try to supplement the nutritious food as much as possible, and then P is not higher than 0.03ppm?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:43 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Jacky, it is my experience that the nutrient poor a system is running the more it is necessary to keep the basic water parameters as close as possible to natural seawater.

G.Alexander
Old 11-25-2019, 09:16 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hello Jacky, it is my experience that the nutrient poor a system is running the more it is necessary to keep the basic water parameters as close as possible to natural seawater.

G.Alexander
Thank you G. It turned out that I misunderstood the meaning.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

thank you for your time and for the explanations Alexander, stuff you talk does make sense,

Still will go bb,, love the stuff I can do with the flow when there is no sand to be levitated also love the way one can vacumsuck detritus out of dead spots

I'll run passive carbon through first transition phase..

>I would recommend to just use the Ca and the KH component, Mg can be used additional if the level is to low but usually it works well to refresh this element with the regular water changes if the salt mix has a adequate concentration. A Mg level of ~1280 mg is working well.

I hear that, Mg can be probably ballanced with one liter bottle and syringe.. not really dosing pump needed there

>What I would recommend to stop are the additional trace elements which are mixed in the Can and KH supplement.

I hoped you would not say that. Dosing trace that way is plain easy,, complete sollution for lazies like me i can understand that people who are proposing official approach wont risk advising some third party fixes... but lets say that Ive been warned and If Id do it on my own risk do we have some success stories here? Anyone?
Old 11-26-2019, 03:50 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Mario, problem is that if you dose to much trace elements corals will just suffer coloration also getting darker tissue. The nutrient poorer the system is running the less additional “elements” are necessary to optimize coloration. If you like to keep dosing those elements my recommendation is to just dose 10 – 15 % of the quantity you use today. You can later fine tune the dosage. For the transfer it might be better to completely stop dosing those elements.

G.Alexander
Old 11-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Yes I I totally agree about dosing to much trace elements and its leading to corals suffering or worst. For that reason I'm not dosing the stuff manually.. Im just following the position that water changes with good salts are more or less sufficient. (same one you advised me about Mg) Next to that Im just giving it a "little push" by using less than a half from instructed by supplier ( in my case FM).

Im not even fan of dosing potassium, have well noted that on this forum much is talked about it and great importance given to it, but than again, my tests show me that water changes and this "little push" are more than enough. Many folks from my local scene think otherwise, but imomost are just overdosing it which is obvious by their algal problems..
Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 AM
ZEOadmin

Potassium should just be dosed if the level is less than 380 mg, otherwise it does not make sense. Some systems consume potassium in higher quantities while others have a stabile level of 380 mg. So if you are able to keep the level around 380 mg all is good.

G.Alexander