zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 High nitrates
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 26
Views: 604
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: "Alex"
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 352
Views: 53,700
0 Zeo-Einsteiger hat Fragen
Last Post: "Alex"
Replies: 54
Views: 4,378
0 800 l reef change to zeo
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 19
Views: 1,241
0 Finally ready to start Zeovit
Replies: 13
Views: 734
0 20% OFF Eshopps Protein Skimmers & Sumps
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 07-17-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 84
0 GIVEAWAY: Eshopps Nano Reef Tank Protein Skimmer
Posted On: 07-17-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 197
0 Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 15
Views: 735
0 New Tank Build - Red Sea Reefer 750XXL
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 12
Views: 675
0 GIVEAWAY: IceCap Kalk Mixing Reactor
Posted On: 07-15-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 157
More...
Old 06-16-2019, 08:30 PM
PeterBedford PeterBedford 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Lightbulb Red See Reefer xl425 - Fresh Start

Hello again.

I set up my tank almost 2 years ago with zeovit. You can read my previous start here: https://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36654

Unfortunatley after almost 2 years of running zeovit I had to drain down my tank, move live stock to temporary aquarium and start everything again. Why? My Nitrate was about 80 ppm and not go down at all. My PO4 ~0.49 constantly and on the end 0.70.
I have done everythink I can, but those two param stay at same level. What was wrong? Now I can share my little experience with you, so this might help newcomers get started right.

I have start twice after I drain out my tank.
First I take out everything and clean out inc. rocks and sand. Dry out tank and sump. I have clean my rocks (pressurewash), let it dry on a direct sun for 3 days, clean again, and dry, then rise and RO water and again let it dry.
I have use Pukani Rocks.
After rock I clean my sand (ATI FIji white sand). First with tap water. Rinse good 2 hours, then RO water, let it dry.
After 2 weeks when my tank was dry, in a meantime I clean some equipment in a citric acid (powerheards, weir combs, etc.)
Then I put my sand and rock in and fill with RO water. Drain all down, fill again to half, drain down, fill again and start powerheads and pump for 2 days. Then - you do not beilive but I drain out again, and fill again. After that time - fresh RO water.after few hours of circulation, I check my NO3 and PO4 and guess what?
NO3 ~5
PO4 ~ 0.08
????
Ok, lets say, rocks and sand wasn't 100% clean, but to make sure I check my RO water - all fine!

I just think I give a try and see what is happen after few days, so I put salt in. Day 8 when I check my favourite parameters - NO3 20, PO4 0.54!!!!
Really. I just added salt and let it run for few days!!!!
That was end of my patience!

I drain out tank, throw away rocks and sand.

I have bought new dry rocks (yes again dry rocks), but this time I go for full dead/dry rocks (Real Reef Rocks) 20kg. New sand (Aqua Medic Coral Sand 2-5mm and KZ Coral Sand Aragonite). Clean rocks and aragonite with RO only.
After fill up with RO to half, drain down and fill up to full. Start powerheads and pump. Then it was time to check parameters...
NO3 - 0??? really
PO4 - 0.03 on hanna - I'm guessing it is some trace left from last time.

Then I bought only 3kg of live rock. Orginaly I was thinking to put it to a sump just for first 2 months to help cycle a tank, but I put rock to DT and I will leave it there.

It is show time! Start cycle with zeovit.
1 liter ZeoVit with a constant water flow of ~ 400 liters per hour through the reactor.

Initial dosage:

ZEObak: 20 ml
ZEOstart: 40 ml
Sponge Power: 12 ml

On day 4 continue with:

ZEObak: 4 drops daily
ZEOstart: 0.4 ml 2 x daily
Sponge Power: 4 drops daily

…until day 14, than continue dosing as follows:

ZEObak: 4 drops 3 x weekly
ZEOstart: 0.4 ml 2 x daily
Sponge Power: 4 drops daily

I have done everything as manual telling you to do. Because I used dry rocks and only small amount of live rocks (total of 23kg for ~400L net), I have add my Marine Pure Block 8x8x4 from my old system (stored in my temporary tank with live stock) - so it should help kick a cycle.
I finish cycle after 14 days and parameters... was much better then my very first time 2 years ago. On that time, I might add snails, crabs, urchin, but... I didn't. I let it cycle a bit more due dead rocks. I haven't got Amonia spike, NO2 same, even NO3 didn't spike - well day 4 my NO3 was 5ppm, then after two days drop to 2ppm. I might missed as I didn't check parameters daily - every 2, 3 days. My onlu concern was PO4 again. second day after initial dose I get reading of 0.20, then on day 6 - 0.40!!! Patience is a key. Day 8 - PO4 = 0.06 by Hanna and finnaly day 14th PO4 = 0.03
I had bacterial bloom, as my water was cloudy for a few days - good sign.
I left tank to cycle for 4 weeks. Yesterday, 42 days after start cycle my parameters as follow (only main ones):

Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phosphate = 0

All has been cross check with different test kits. Phosphate I'm sure I have some trace, but Low range Hanna showing 0.00. Now I have to buy ultra low version as I do not expect to get high readings ANY MORE!!!!

I have done first water change (day 42) and next day I change 50% of zeolites. So far I'm happy and with a bit of experience I have with zeovit I hope this time everything will go in a right direction. In a future I might think about Calcium reactor, if all be fine.
Present issues: very light brown algae mainly on a live rocks and some on a sand bed - normal and expected.

Now. Why first time dosen't work??
If you read all above you should know by now, but I will summarize:
Pukani rocks leaching phosphates and nitrates
My old sand might not be prepared correctly and after rock leaching bad stuff, it start doing same thing - leaching bad stuff

WARNING!
Before you start, do a research. Ask few pearson about same thing if you want to buy equipment, rocks, sand. Post your questions here or other forums. If you got problems on a beginning with parameters, try find culprit straight away if it possible. In that way you will avoid problems in a future, you might save a lots of money, and you will have beatifull reef tanks!!!!

I hope this will help someone. We are learning everyday.
Happy reefing everybody.

PS. do you think it is good to set up a calcium reactor. If yes - when to do it?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello PeterBedford

Like a vivid description, it’s like watching a movie.

1. Make sure the source of the material is good
2. As long as the NP is not abnormally high and the persistence anomaly increases, it should be normal.
3. The Zeo Guide recommends using some live rock. Similarly, NP is also measurable.

Dry rock and live rock. The difference between "biology" and many different sizes of pores, perhaps this is where dry rock can not match

Zeo system marine pure block is not required

I am also very happy to find the source of the problem.

Calcium reactor, with test package measurement value adjustment
Number of corals / coral growth = element consumption

Usually magnesium consumption begins, Ca is slower to consume

In addition, every time Zeovit material is replaced, Zeo Bac x10 days
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Thank you Peter for posting your experiences, glad to hear you finally found the source of the problem

G.Alexander
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Lets continue.

My current tank is almost 50 days old.
All parameters ok.

Current dosing:
ZeoBac 3x weekly - 4 drops
ZeoStart3 daily - 0.4ml 2x day= 0.8ml
SpongePower - 4 drops daily
LPS Amino Acid - 2ml daily (mornings)
Coral Snow - only sometimes (used maybe 8 times in 50 days)

I do not have any SPS
Got LPS and sofites only.
Coral List:
Bush coral
Lobophyllia sp (Brain coral)
Favia
Frog Spawn - frag
Green Torch
Hammer - Euphyllia divisa
Orange Plate (Short Tentacle Plate cora) - The Fungia repanda
Duncan - 9 heads
Candy Cane - Caulastrea furcata
Ultra Green Candy Cane - 1 head frag
Zoas - few collonies
Green Star Polyps - Pachyclavularia
Toadstool - Sarcophyton
Kenya Tree coral
Green Button Polyp - Protopalythoa
Moon Coral

Bubble team anemone
Urchin
Crabs
Snails

Fishes:
Yellow Tang
Gold Rim Tang
Coral Beauty Angelfish
2x Cardinals
2x Ocellaris Clownfish
Orange Spot Gobby
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp

What additional Blue Bottles I can start using and what dose I should keep?

Thanks for answers.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello PeterBedford, I feel that LPS coral has a good development, it is recommended to get Zeo KB, potassium to 380 mg. If the malnourished water quality is stable, then the extra nutritional supplements are good, for example: Zeo CV, Xtra, PIF is also a good choice.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Peter, as long as there are not issues I would recommend to stay with the basics. Amino LPS can be dosed but I would change to 2 – 3 x weekly instead of daily. Actual nutrient concentrations do also play a role, for soft corals B-Balance can be helpful.

G.Alexander
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hello Peter, as long as there are not issues I would recommend to stay with the basics. Amino LPS can be dosed but I would change to 2 3 x weekly instead of daily. Actual nutrient concentrations do also play a role, for soft corals B-Balance can be helpful.

G.Alexander
G. I have a question. Zeo BB, SPS, slow coral tissue lighting. Then what kind of performance can LPS bring? I want to learn, thank you.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 AM
ZEOadmin

Hallo Jacky, I have observed a positive impact of B-Balance also to Softcorals (growth / coloration and polyp expansion).

G.Alexander
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Hallo Jacky, I have observed a positive impact of B-Balance also to Softcorals (growth / coloration and polyp expansion).

G.Alexander
Thank you G. So its like reducing the zooxanthellae to achieve a more active growth/coloration and polyp expansion of the coral.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:57 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
Hello PeterBedford, I feel that LPS coral has a good development, it is recommended to get Zeo KB, potassium to 380 mg. If the malnourished water quality is stable, then the extra nutritional supplements are good, for example: Zeo CV, Xtra, PIF is also a good choice.
Jacky - ZEO KB - you mean KZ Zeo Pohls K Balance Potassium?
PIF - you mean KZ Zeo Potassium Iodide Fluoride?
Xtra - you mean KZ ZEO Pohl's Xtra

Quote:
Hello Peter, as long as there are not issues I would recommend to stay with the basics. Amino LPS can be dosed but I would change to 2 – 3 x weekly instead of daily. Actual nutrient concentrations do also play a role, for soft corals B-Balance can be helpful.

G.Alexander
G.Alexander I will reduce dose for Amino LPS and add B-Balance next week.

My pottasium lvl is 380 and not move at all. I think not many consumption atm as not many corals in

Last edited by PeterBedford; 07-12-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 07-13-2019, 01:34 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello PeterBedford, that's right. Good for low malnutrition water quality

Tags
fresh start, high nitrate, high po4, learning, new tank