zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 new member
Last Post: artisson
Posted On: Today
Replies: 10
Views: 144
0 Neueinrichtung und viele Fragen
Last Post: chrima78
Replies: 5
Views: 330
0 ZeoFood vs CV and SP
Last Post: TravelingPotato
Replies: 4
Views: 118
0 Mein Kleines Wohnzimmerriff
Last Post: Slap
Replies: 68
Views: 8,960
0 3 weeks in, high po4
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 7
Views: 112
0 New tank Planning
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 87
0 ZeoZym / Coral Snow / Flatworm Stop questions
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 1
Views: 49
0 GIVEAWAY: NEW! Eshopps Prodigy Overflow
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 Flatworm Stop & Polyclads
Last Post: skr791346
Posted On: 02-20-2020
Replies: 2
Views: 149
0 bryopsis problem
Last Post: Aquajan
Posted On: 02-20-2020
Replies: 6
Views: 553
More...
Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Burgessbc Burgessbc ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default New build, need advice

Im getting back into reefing after a few years hiatus forced by a move. Im planning on doing a 120 gallon in wall design with 40 gallon sump. I would like to do this build with the Zeovit system. Ive done a lot of research and this website has been very helpful. I plan to go bare bottom and use all dead rock. Therefore my plan was to start with a very long cycle such as up to four months before I add any livestock or even consider turning the lights on. I have a reef octopus SSS 1000 skimmer and will be using T5 with Kessil LEDs.

Ive read the 14 day cycle posted here as the recommended way to start With Zeovit. My question is how would you recommend I adapt this system to a longer cycle.? I am still in the planning stages, so I am flexible but really do not want to use sand or live rock to limit the risk of introducing unwanted pests into my system and to allow for higher flow. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Using dry rock altogether, biology does take longer. It is recommended that you can add some functional animals after the 14-day cycle and maintain some ecology instead of completely without them, but make sure to be slow.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:48 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Welcome to ZeoVit.com

Here you can find a step by step guide for the cycle:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...60&postcount=7

The cycle is used for system with 100% live rock but it is the same procedure with dry rock.

Main difference is that the cycle with dry rock will take much longer, up to a couple of month but this does also depend to the kind of rocks you use.

Which kind of rocks do you plan to use ?

Personally I would prefer live rock but it seems not to be a option for you.

G.Alexander
Old 02-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Burgessbc Burgessbc ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the reply. I have reef saver rock and figi rock from my last tank that is completely dead and bleached to remove old organics. I don’t mind being patient with a long cycle but certainly will add a few fish at around 14 days to get things rolling. I’m not completely against using live rock, I have used it in the past. This is what I have presently and kind of like the idea of a clean start. Without the risk of introducing something unwanted. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

In fact, it is difficult for us to be 100% sure that there are no "pests" in the tank (or what you are considering avoiding), it is really difficult. Introducing new corals in the future, it can happen with a small gap. However, I support your idea. I also wish you success in your new project and share it with us. Personally, I prefer live rock.

Regarding the dry rock brand material you described, I don't know and can't help much, sorry
Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

I do also have no experience with the rocks you plan to use but as you have used them in another reef already it looks like they do not leach any kind of stuff. You can try to put a piece of rock in some saltwater for one day and check the PO4 level with a high sensitive test kit or a photometer, it should not leach PO4.

G.Alexander