zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Resistant Fish Concentrate
Last Post: benou
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 37
0 Corals not growing and proper way to raise nutrient levels
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 9
Views: 81
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 26
Views: 29,705
0 Dinoflagellates
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 15
Views: 306
0 Transitioning to ZeoVit
Posted On: 11-15-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 137
0 help pale corals
Last Post: Bugger
Views: 74
0 Start Zeovit system
Replies: 22
Views: 2,582
0 Milwaukee Black Friday Sale - 15% OFF Storewide
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 15% OFF Pre-Black Friday Sales + 20% OFF Tunze
Posted On: 11-14-2019
Views: 91
0 GIVEAWAY: AA Aquarium Internal UV Sterilizer Kit
Posted On: 11-14-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 46
More...
Old 10-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Boonz28 Boonz28 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Monthly Operating Costs?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and in the process of setting up a new tank, a Red Sea 750 XXL. This will be my 3rd reef tank and I'd really like it to be something special.
My plans are to build a SPS dominant tank and was considering setting it up to run the Zeovit method. I ran some searches but came up empty so i've got a few questions for you guys.
It seems like every time i see an SPS tank that blows me away its running on Zeovit, however when i've talked to friends about it they seem to agree that the system is great however extremely expensive to run on a larger system.

So my question is, what is the real world monthly cost of running the Zeovit method on a 200 gal system?
I know it is going to depend on how many of the supplements are being dosed but i'd love to get some feedback from those with firsthand knowledge.

In addition, any advice or links on what i need to get started (size of reactor), other equipment needed or not needed, would be a great help!

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
-Seth
Old 10-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

Its like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. expect to pay from 50 to 300 dollars a month depending on how many products you use.
A bottle of bac should last you 6 months
a 250 ml bottle of start should last 125 days
Some say it cost little but only use two products
Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 AM
Boonz28 Boonz28 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

That's kind of what I figured. So $300/ month is the high end for a 200 gal system right? And that's if you're dosing all the goodies?

I know this is a tough question to answer considering all the variables involved so i guess i'm hoping some can chime in with their particular experience.

A little more info on the system i'm building, lighting will be 4 Radion Gen 4 XR-30 Pro's mounted inside the Aquatic life T5 hybrid fixture (i plan on running Blue + bulbs), Flow will be MP 40's and potentially MP 60's if needed (so far i've only got 2 MP 40's but figure i will need more). Return pump is a Vectra M2.
No skimmer yet as i'm still weighing my options there.

The plan is to build a high light, high flow SPS tank.

The Zeovit system looks awesome but i hate to buy equipment and get married to a system that is "outrageously expensive" as i've had a couple people tell me. What is crazy expensive to one person might sound reasonable to another so that's why real world dollar numbers for various systems would be a huge help.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 AM
Michal Michal 目前離線
TeamZeoVit

Quote:
however when i've talked to friends about it they seem to agree that the system is great however extremely expensive to run on a larger system.
I would say it's a math done wrong. People say that you need all these blue bottles and that they are expensive. My experience with Zeovit was completely different. First - if you look up all these nice tanks, you will notice that most of them use only few additives. You only buy what you need, when a need occurs, you don't have to buy everything and dose it to your tank. Actually if you go that way you are going to crash it. My second observation is that KZ products are actually the cheapest on the market. Even if initial cost of buying is slightly higher in the long run it's cheaper because KZ additives are highly concentrated. You literally dose drops, where other brand additives you have to add x-mililiters. So usually every blue bottle lasts couple of months. The bigger the tank the bigger the savings. Every time I converted my tank to a new brand that was popular I discovered that it was actually much more expensive to run.

Also I can see that you want to get the best results with your SPS so I would go a different way with your lighting. Don't supplement LEDs with T5, go full T5 and eventually supplement it with some blue/royal blue LED bars. T5 fixtures are much cheaper and they are going to give you better colors, growth and health of corals. I'm not saying LEDs can't grow Acroporas, I'm saying what gave best results in my experience

Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.
- Matsuo Munefusa
Old 10-17-2019, 06:43 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Seth

Basically it is not easy to calculate the exact cost as you already said. The products are high concentrated and most of the products are dosed in drops / 25 US gallons 2 – 3 x weekly.

The ZeoVit material is replaced every 6 – 8 weeks depending to the nutrient situation and the carbon usually every month. Those are two components which are beside ZeoBac and ZeoStart are really necessary.

Here you can find a recommendation to cycle a fresh system with ZeoVit:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...60&postcount=7

Most common used additional products are SpongePower, BioMate, XTra, Iodine, CoralSnowand B-Balance.

G.Alexander
Old 10-17-2019, 06:43 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Seth

Basically it is not easy to calculate the exact cost as you already said. The products are high concentrated and most of the products are dosed in drops / 25 US gallons 2 3 x weekly.

The ZeoVit material is replaced every 6 8 weeks depending to the nutrient situation and the carbon usually every month. Those are two components which are beside ZeoBac and ZeoStart are really necessary.

Here you can find a recommendation to cycle a fresh system with ZeoVit:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...60&postcount=7

Most common used additional products are SpongePower, BioMate, XTra, Iodine, CoralSnowand B-Balance.

G.Alexander
Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Boonz28 Boonz28 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

That’s some good perspective! I hadn’t thought of it that way or heard someone using it explain it in that way to me. That’s good to hear and makes a lot of sense to me.

As for the lighting, I’ve already bought all the Radions, diffusers, and hybrid fixture so I’ll probably give them a shot at least initially and then swap them out if they don’t produce the results I’m looking for.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 AM
Boonz28 Boonz28 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you for the link Alexander.
Some more info/ questions:
I’ve already purchased a roller mat for the new tank because I’m sick of messing with filter floss/ socks. Is this okay to use as part of my mechanical filtration with Zeovit?
Also I’d like to have a bare bottom tank and plan to use minimal rock so I’ve purchased some of the Brightwell aquatics XPORT-NO3 bricks to aid in biological filtration. Are these okay to use with zeovit or should I ditch those and let the rocks in the reactor serve this purpose if I go Zeovit?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:25 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

I would recommend using some good quality rock rock, which is good.

"Mechanical filtration", I don't quite understand what it means, sorry

If I understand the difficulties you have encountered

Here is an introduction to the first 14-day cycle of Korallenzucht, (recommended way)

Water
Fill the system with reverse osmosis water and, if possible, add filter resin to the reverse osmosis unit. Heat the water to 20-25 C and install the latest pump at the same time.

2. Current
We recommend a smooth and wide flow, about 20-30 times the volume of the tank per hour. The combination with Osci-Motion is also well recognized - due to the rotary pump they produce a very natural shifting flow.

3. Sea salt
Once the water temperature reached 25 C, the salt was slowly added to the water stream and a salinity of about 34% o was used. After the salt is completely dissolved and the water is clarified, live rock can be added.

Live rock
It is important to use fresh, clean live rock. 10% of the tank contents are placed in the tank after the live rock, followed by the sand bed. At this point, the skimmer and the ZEOvit filter are running and the tank needs light now!

5. Sand bed
Now you can add a shallow sand bed. Use crushed coral sand or aragonite. Do not use Live Sand with the ZEOvit system. Soak the material in reverse osmosis water for 3-4 days before use and replace the permeate water daily. If the PO4 level of the water is close to zero, then sand is desirable.

6. Start the ZEOvit filter and separator
A water tank of 400 liters (100 US gallons) is used for 1 liter of ZEOvit. The maximum flow rate per 1 liter of ZEOvit through the filter must not exceed 400 liters (100 US gallons). Make sure to run the reactor at a continuous flow rate. Start the protein separator.

7. Lighting and other technical equipment
Start lighting minutes. 10 hours a day. All other technical devices are now also activated.

*The Zeo system is also suitable for a bare bottom tank

Welcome again to ask questions, I will try my best to help you.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

Take for example Amino LPS. you can get a 250ml bottle for 45 (the 500ml is sold out) you will get 62 doses for your tank at 72 cents a dosing. after 30 days it will cost you 21 dollars.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Boonz28 Boonz28 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Okay that’s good to know, from what I gather I’ll use a $30 bag of carbon every month as well as about $20-$30 worth of the media.
Hard to tell how long a lot of the other additives will last since those vary depending on the tank/ coral needs.
Given the amount I’ve already put into this system before it’s even wet, and the money we can wrap up in livestock, I think the money spent on the Zeovit system is worth it for me to produce the results Zeovit is known for.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

At the beginning, the Zeo base was used more. As the water quality of malnutrition gradually reduced the Zeo base dose, the Zeo activated carbon was replaced once a month, and the ZeoVit material was replaced 50% for 7-8 weeks. The rest of the coloring/nutrient, I have never calculated the cost of the coral, and I am only interested in changing the appearance of the coral.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:41 AM
ZEOadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonz28 View Post
Thank you for the link Alexander.
Some more info/ questions:
Ive already purchased a roller mat for the new tank because Im sick of messing with filter floss/ socks. Is this okay to use as part of my mechanical filtration with Zeovit?
Hello Seth, I would not see a problem using a roller mat filter but basically it is not necessary.

G.Alexander