zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 53
Views: 2,274
0 Finally ready to start :)
Last Post: jackass
Replies: 69
Views: 3,738
0 New to zeo
Last Post: Invictoreef
Replies: 35
Views: 1,950
5 Ditch the chaeto?
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 5
Views: 113
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Replies: 76
Views: 2,382
0 New sps tank
Last Post: chrisevich
Replies: 194
Views: 10,319
0 Sale: Eheim, TLF, Salifert, Reef Brite, Aqua Genesis
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 45
0 GIVEAWAY: Inland Frag Saw
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 225
0 Considering switching to zeovit tank from redsea
Posted On: 05-18-2018
Replies: 10
Views: 282
0 needed color & health of this stag
Posted On: 05-18-2018
Replies: 2
Views: 229
More...

Old 01-25-2018, 08:58 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Default Reducing Nitrates

Hi, G. Alexander.

So my tank has been great and I've struggled with low-nutrients for so long that I've let the nitrates and phosphates rise quite significantly. Most of my corals are great but I've noticed a slownwness in growth and some have some grey spots.

In short, now that I know I have enough nutrients being put in the tank via food and now I need to reduce them. Here's what I've tried and what options I have.

PAST STEP:
I've increased the light period of my cheato reactor to 24hr for a week. Nitrates have not come down.

CURRENT STEP:
I have switched my skimmer over to wet skim from dry skim, and am reducing feedings from 3x a day to 2x a day.

NEXT STEP:
Here are my options for a next step. Currently, I am not dosing any ZEOStart, Coral Snow, ZEOZym, or have any ZEOlite media. I'm considering one of the following four options.
  • Option 1: Dilluting ZEOStart with RODI and putting it on my doser. How much ZEOStart should I dose with 65g water volume? I'd need a guide to figure out how much RODI vs. ZEOstart to dose or how that works.
  • Option 2: 5ml Coral Slow every other day to increase skim performance
  • Option 3: 1/2 tsb ZEOzym 2x Week to increase skim performance
  • Option 4: Throwing 300ml of ZEOlite Media in a Media Bag.

Let me know which would be the best route!

Thanks,
Joey
Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

What are the actual levels of PO4 and NO3 Joey, how do you control nutrients at the moment ?

G.Alexander
Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
What are the actual levels of PO4 and NO3 Joey, how do you control nutrients at the moment ?

G.Alexander

Phosphates are 0.1 and Nitrates around 20. Right now I dont make any extra effort to control them just a skimmer, rollermat, live rock and Chaeto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 PM
ZEOadmin

Difficult to say Joey but of you do not like to run the full system I would try to dose ZeoBac, ZeoStat and BioMate to see if this has a effect.

ZeoStart – 0.125 ml 2 x daily
ZeoBac – 3 drops daily for 2 weeks, than every other day for some time
BioMate – 5 drops daily for some time

You can additional dose CoralSnow and ZeoZym if you like to. Keep the skimmer running to skim wet while cleaning it daily and vacuum your sand regular while doing the weekly water changes.

If this does not get nutrients under control additional steps might be necessary but lets first see how this works. Also make sure to have a adequate quantity of fish for the system size.

G.Alexander
Old 01-26-2018, 11:37 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thanks! Great advice and will begin now. Just cleaned the skimmer. Question for you, why clean the skimmer daily? I dont mind but is there some kind of reason?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:38 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Difficult to say Joey but of you do not like to run the full system I would try to dose ZeoBac, ZeoStat and BioMate to see if this has a effect.

ZeoStart 0.125 ml 2 x daily
ZeoBac 3 drops daily for 2 weeks, than every other day for some time
BioMate 5 drops daily for some time

You can additional dose CoralSnow and ZeoZym if you like to. Keep the skimmer running to skim wet while cleaning it daily and vacuum your sand regular while doing the weekly water changes.

If this does not get nutrients under control additional steps might be necessary but lets first see how this works. Also make sure to have a adequate quantity of fish for the system size.

G.Alexander

One more question, should I cease any other dosing? I dont think elements like iodine or coral food like CV causes issues right?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM
ZEOadmin

If you do not have additional algae or cyano issues you can continue to dose them but as nutrients are elevated I would recommend to reduce the quantities to 1/3 for example. If corals slow down their growth because of any other reason the dosage of such elements can lowered also as the consumption does decrease.

G.Alexander
Old 01-28-2018, 10:59 AM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
If you do not have additional algae or cyano issues you can continue to dose them but as nutrients are elevated I would recommend to reduce the quantities to 1/3 for example. If corals slow down their growth because of any other reason the dosage of such elements can lowered also as the consumption does decrease.

G.Alexander
Thanks G Man!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:20 PM
SantaMonica SantaMonica 目前離線
ZEOhead

Try to get that chaeto growing; algae absorbs lots of N and P
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

I am. I was running a 24hr period for a week then realized that Cheato does not like that at all. My nitrates ended up spiking all the way to 50, so then I reduce the Cheato down to 8hour photo period. I did a 50% W/C over the course of three days and increased my ZEO Start dose from .3ml / day to .5ml / day dosed 3x automatically with an Apex DoS.

I will keep you guys posted on how this is working. Starting to see some small amounts of growth again with some easy corals. I'm really just worried about my Pink Flyod Acro which has browned out but still has some PE so I think it will recover.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Try to get that chaeto growing; algae absorbs lots of N and P
Sorry forgot to Quote you, explanation above.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 AM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Default Reducing Nitrates

Alright everyone good news. Nutrients are starting to drop and some corals are showing signs of new growth the rest still recovering. Also the tank is using up alk again. My question is here is my current dosing for nutrient reduction. What would you decrease first? I dont want to decrease everything at once because I dont want to have them spike again, with that said I dont want to continue to strip the water of nutrients because as they get closer to low I dont want the corals to starve.

Anyway here is what Im dosing for nutrient reduction.

0.5ml ZEOstart per day dosed 0.1ml 5x a day,
3 drops ZEObak daily
5 drops BioMate daily
3ml Coral Snow 2x Weekly
0.5tsp ZEOzym 2x Weekley

When nutrients got high I stopped dosing XTRA, CV, Iodine and Iron

I am still dosing B Balance, Amino Acids, K Balance, SpongePower, and Booster

Im thinking of moving Bak and BioMate to every the day when I dose my Sponge Power

Let me know.
Joey

Old 02-08-2018, 02:29 AM
ZEOadmin

First thing I would try is to reduce ZeoBac to 2 x weekly and BioMate to every other day.

G.Alexander
Old 02-10-2018, 02:13 AM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
First thing I would try is to reduce ZeoBac to 2 x weekly and BioMate to every other day.

G.Alexander

Swee thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM
maLx maLx 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hi, Everyone.

Currently I have two issues, I believe related to this, I need help solving.

Issue 1:

So I was able to bring my nitrates down to 5ppm tested with a NYOS kit. Last Phosphate test I had it was an ICP test and registered at .3ppm which is still high. So, since I don't run any ZEOlite, I tossed in 250ml of ZEOlite in a bag passive mode in my sump to see if that would help. Next, I purchased a Hanna URL Phosphorus checker. and it says my phosphorous is 200. When I convert that with their chart, that's 0.6ppm or over. Could this test kit be that off? I just sent in another ICP test just in case and did a 30% water change as a precautionary measure, but I wanted to ask what you guys thought about that.

Issue 2:

Additionally, I have some blue acros that have faded into a mute grey/blue. I thought it might have been due to phosphates or the B-Balance (using Automatic Elements) which has just run out so I have not replaced that. Additionally, I was almost at the 3 month mark with K-Balance (using Automatic Elements) so I swapped that out as well to see if the blue color comes back. Knowing that, and knowing that I have 65g of water volume, this is what I am dosing. Should I cease dosing any of these?

2 Tabs Amino Acids
3 Drops CV Daily
3 Dops ZEObak Daily
5 Drops BIO mate Daily
3 Drops Sponge Power Every Other Day
0.5ml ZEOstart Total Daily dosed at 0.1ml each time with DoS unit
3 Drops Potassium Iodine Daily
3ml Coral Snow 2x Weekley
.5tsp ZEOzym 2x Weekley

I also have in my aresanl
Phol's XTRA Special
Coral Booster

Let me know what dosing tweaks I should make. I'm considering reducing Bak, Bio Mate, Coral Snow and ZEOzym because I am not sure that is helping.

The good news is, I have some corals that weren't growing growing now. PE is a bit scarce, but they do grow and I do see polyps come out sometimes.

Let me know what to tweak.