zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 New sps tank
Last Post: chrisevich
Posted On: Today
Replies: 98
Views: 3,767
0 Ayuda para comenzar m彋odo zeovit
Last Post: Alexec
Replies: 1
Views: 38
5 Established tank, installed ZeoVit, Help Needed
Last Post: Scribe
Replies: 30
Views: 654
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: Strazz
Replies: 33
Views: 1,169
0 The journey starts 12.09.17
Last Post: FraysReef
Replies: 74
Views: 2,640
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 267
Views: 25,658
0 The Dreaded Dino and Zeovit Paradox
Last Post: iamchadster
Replies: 9
Views: 350
0 Boggs Elos 120XL
Last Post: bogg
Replies: 455
Views: 60,791
0 Zeospur
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 1
Views: 57
0 Cloudy Water
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 13
Views: 728
More...
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM
mmckenna1029 mmckenna1029 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Aquarium restart

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 60 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 50 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) SCA-301, 65g
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels undetectable for both, red sea test kits
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels switching to red sea salt
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) sump with skimmer, live rock
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Reefbreeders Photon 16 LED
12. What corals do you keep Currently some zoas, mushrooms, hammer and 2 monti's. Looking to be primarily SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) light
14. How long has the tank been running 4.5 years
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system A structured strategy for SPS with significant support
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) I use Red Sea Alk, Mg, and Ca to maintain levels when needed
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 50lbs, 4.5 years
18. Any present problems Tank restart due to needing to relocate and looking to get rid of sand bed as well.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) Currently have bad cyano, I suspect the sandbed has a lot of hidden nutrients
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Red Sea, less than a year old
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) None
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Temp swings, one of the reasons tank is being relocated
23. Which salt brand do you use have been using IO reef crystals, switching to Red Sea salt, (lower alk)

So I am new to Zeovit but after doing a fair amount of research have decided to apply this system to my tank. I have struggled over the life of my reef on not having a consistent strategy in place. The tank is being relocated to a different part of the house. The current room it is in seams to have large temp swings and also gets direct sunlight which I would prefer to avoid. As part of the move I have decided to completely strip down the tank and start over with new water and also go bare bottom. Sand can always be added by in later. All my live rock will get transferred but I will try to scrub off any cyano and algae first. The livestock will go in a temp tank, I only have 1 fish right now and minimal corals. Should I add the live rock back in right away and they go through the Zeovit 14 day cycle before adding livestock back in? Since the rock is already cured is the 14 day cycle really needed? I am not sure if I should treat this like a new tank start up or changing over an existing tank.

Appreciate any input,
Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Forgot to mention, I purchased the following items:

ZEOvit Media (1000 mL)
10 mL ZEObak Microorganism Solution
100mL ZEOstart 3
50mL ZEOfood 7
Activated Carbon (1L)

Also, due to a lack of space in the current sump I cannot run a reactor so the Zeovit media and carbon will both be in filter bags. I am exploring options to fit a reactor down the road.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Matt

I would recommend to do the 14 day cycle as follows:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=7

Just additional get SpongePower, ZeoFood can be used later once if the system runs nutrient poor stabile to fine tune coral coloration.

If your live rock does not contain accumulated nutrients you can use them for the cycle. A shallow sand bed of dry aragonite does improve the biology making it much more stabile once the system is running so something I would personally use but it is not a must.

Please keep in mind that no animals should be in the system while the cycle. As the quantity of corals and fish is very low I expect you can move them from the temporary holding system after about 10 – 14 days if all goes well.

If you use filter bags for the Zeovit material the nutrient processing will be lower so I would recommend to get a reactor up and running. Maybe a DIY reactor is a alternative, here you can find some ideas:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34

G.Alexander
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Excellent! Thank you for the response.

I just ordered the Sponge power and will take your advice for the cycle. Unfortunately I cannot fit a reactor at the moment just due to shear sump size but I will be building a new sump hopefully in the next month. Then I will add a reactor. The other option I have is to run the Zeovit media through my static reactor but shaking it up would be very hard to do. This would give me total control over flow though.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM
ZEOhead in Training

So... challenge accepted on the reactor. I looked into it and ended up getting everything needed to make up a diy PVC reactor that will run off the manifold that my carbon was hooked up to. There is zero room left in the sump.

Friday evening the livestock gets transferred to the temp tank and the display gets broken down. I will see if I can post some before pics. I'm pretty excited about having a solid system to work too!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Glad to hear you found a way for a reactor. If you run the carbon with active flow like putting it in a mash bag on the top of the zeovit material just use 50% of the recommended quantity replaced every 3 weeks.

G.Alexander

Last edited by G.Alexander; 10-19-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:14 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Default Day 15!

So I am on day 15 of the cycle. Here are current parameters:

Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 7.7
Calcium: 425
Magnesium: 1380
Potassium: 370
Nitrate: .75
Phosphate: .02

I decided to introduce some corals that have been in QT to observe over the next few weeks. I have more frags on QT and a fish QT with a pair of snowflake clowns. The clowns will not be introduced until the end of November.

Thank you,
Matt