zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 35% OFF Salifert, 30% OFF Rossmont, 10% OFF Bashsea & more!
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 3
0 Phosphate Issue
Last Post: rchavez
Replies: 10
Views: 202
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 139
Views: 10,193
0 180 Convert to Zeo from Turf Scrubber
Last Post: gguertin145
Replies: 27
Views: 594
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 29
Views: 647
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 22
Views: 824
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Replies: 52
Views: 1,720
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Replies: 7
Views: 172
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 969
0 Mein Deltariff...
Last Post: chrima78
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 62
Views: 4,465
More...
Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Bri49er80 Bri49er80 ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Unhappy Zeovit SPS Tissue Loss...Help Needed!

Hello,

I am in need of help with my Zeovit tank as I just lost several SPS frags (Specifically acropora) and I think I now know why upon detailed investigation. Hoping Zeovit nation can confirm my suspicions and weigh in on if my adjustments seem proper to get the tank back on track. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are my specifics before what I suspect went wrong:

Question Answer
1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 240
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 198 Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique -Apex dosing system setup with 2 part
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - NO
5. Are you using Ozone - NO
6. Are you using UV - NO
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Reef Octopus 202-s rated for 265 gallons
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 0.05 NO3 0.00
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels CA=405 mg/l, ALK=7.3 Hannah, 7.8 Red Sea, MG=1380, K+ = 420
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Refugium with mud +Zeovit + Protein Skimmer
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 4 Kessil 360w
12. What corals do you keep -Montipora, montipora setosa, acros, birdsnest, chalice, blastoff, leptos, torch, hammer
13. Tissue color (light or dark) light
14. How long has the tank been running 7 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit - Was Interested in ulns, perhaps higher fish stock capability, extreme coral coloration and growth of SPS (particularily Acros)
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) 2 Part Dosing by ESV, 25 ml calcium 22 ml alkalinity daily through Apex. Magnesium dosed by hand only when needed.
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 140 pounds
18. Any present problems - Tissue loss SPS and even a few LPS such as Blasto and a couple chalice Corals are dying also.
19. Problem description (tissue loss, some diatom on sand but minimal)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Salifert, RedSea, Hannah instrumentsall are new within last 4-5 months..some new this week
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity = 1.025 , Temp - 78 F, pH 7.9 in dark and up to 8.1 in light
23. Which salt brand do you use - ESV Bionic Seawater System

Dosing (already changed today because of issues):

Zeostart: 1.1 ml per day / before 2ml per day
Zeoback: 2 times per week 8 drops with
ME Amino Acid: 2 times per Week 10ml
Coral Vitalizer: 8 drops daily
Activated Carbon: 1 Liter per Month using Rox carbon until todaynow replaced with KZ carbon with 700ML in reactor
KZ Zeovit: 1 Liter (change after 6 to 8 Weeks)
Zeovit Reactor Flow: Reduced now to 65 gph, before was 280 gph
Water changes - Have been doing a 15-20% water change every 2 weeks and plan to continue that but also planning to do 2-3 20% water changes over the next 6 days to get things back in order.

Full list of parameters:
Ammonia - 0 (API Test Kit)
Nitrite - 0 (API Test Kit)
PH - 8.0 (API Test Kit), 7.9-8.1 from dark to light with Apex Probe
Nitrate - 0 (Salifert Test Kit)
Phosphate 0.05 (Seachem Test Kit)
Temperature - Stable at 78 degrees
Salinity - 1.025 Tested by Refractometer and digital testing as well
Alkalinity - 7.3 Hannah, 7.8 Red Sea
Calcium - 405 Hannah
Magnesium - 1380 (Salifert)
Potassium - 410 (Salifert)

Basically I believe the RTN is due to to much flow through the Zeovit reactor coupled with perhaps using Rox activated carbon. I believed I was using a Sicce .5 Pump for the Zeovit reactor with max flow of 185 GPH. Turns out I had the wrong pump and it was a Sicce 1.5 which is 385 GPH! I measured the flow to be 285 GPH. This scared me to death and made me rush to change this within an hour. I think this would explain the RTNdoes Zeovit Nation agree? I now have the correct pump and measured current flow to be 65 GPH. It can go as high as 165GPH which hopefully is the most I will need? As I also mentioned, I changed out the ROX carbon to KZ carbon and reduced from 1L to about 700ML in a reactor. I have also made the following dosing adjustments:

ZeoStart - Was 2ML per day but is now 1.1ML per day
ZeoBak - Still planning twice a week at 8 drops each time
ZeoFood - Still planning twice a week at 8 drops each time
CoralBooster - Still planning 4ML Daily
ME Aminos - Still Planning 10ML twice a week
Coral Vitalizer - Still planning 8 drops daily

Thanks for patience in this long post and I anxiously look forward to your feedback on if this is sufficient or what I may be missing? Along these lines, here are a couple specific questions I am wondering.

Given I have some Phosphate (although very low) should I not adjust the ZeoStart dose amount as I mentioned above?

What is a good suggested flow rate through the Zeovit reactor? 65GPH is currentis that good for short term, long term, etc.? Also, is it ok to have this pump on constantly or do I need to adjust where the pump goes on and off at various times throughout the day?

Any other suggestions/additions besides water changes to get tank back on track quickly?

Thank you,
Brian
Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Hi Brian

Can you tell me which you have started to use ZeoVit on that system exactly ?

I would agree with you, the high reactor flow and the carbon can cause such issues.

For a net water volume of 200 US gallons I would recommend you to continue dosing as follows:

ZeoStart – 0.7 ml 2 x daily
ZeoBak - twice a week at 7 drops each time
ZeoFood - twice a week at 7 drops each time
CoralBooster - 7ML 2 x weekly
ME Aminos - 7ML twice a week
Coral Vitalizer - 14 drops 2 x weekly

Run 0.35 liters activated carbon if you use a reactor, 0.7 liters if you place it passively flown in the sump.

Is there any special reason why you just use 1 liter of the ZeoVit material ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Bri49er80 Bri49er80 ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you for the reply. Which system I am using or why I am using Zeovit? Not sure I understand that question? Perhaps you are referring to my use of a refugium in a Zeovit system? That is for generation of pods to feed angels and others. Can you clarify if you mean something different or if you feel the refugium is an issue?

I will follow your dosing suggestions. I do have one correction to my earlier post. I am using 2L Zeovit media.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 AM
ZEOadmin

Sorry for the confusion, the question is when have you started to use ZeoVit on your system ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Bri49er80 Bri49er80 ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

I started Zeovit about 4 months ago
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 AM
ZEOadmin

2 liters of the material is fine for your system size, water flow should be ~ 20 0US gallons per hour. If your corals do still loose tissue it might make sense to reduce the reactor flow temporary to 2/3,

G.Alexander
Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Bri49er80 Bri49er80 ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Is that 200 or 20? I assume 200 but want to make sure? Just concerned since I was at 270 give or take and had such bad issues. Want to make sure I am not losing corals but of course running a ULNS. This has shaken my confidence in Zeovit to be honest to the point that I have considered giving up on Zeovit if I cannot fix this. Thanks again for your help and confirmation.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 AM
ZEOadmin

200 US gallons per hour would be the right amount but usually a little bit more or less does not cause issue. If you like to reduce it just do it slowly step by step which will give you more control.

G.Alexander

Tags
rtn, sps, zeovit