zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Considering switching to zeovit tank from redsea
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 38
Views: 2,441
0 New zeovit in France
Replies: 37
Views: 3,337
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Replies: 181
Views: 10,247
0 Algea issue
Replies: 9
Views: 256
0 Iodine Complex
Replies: 3
Views: 112
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 86
Views: 6,042
0 New Innovative Marine Products + Icecap Salinity Tester in Stock
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 45
0 skimmer bubble problem (film)
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 0
Views: 80
4 Cyle A Zeovit Tank
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 88
Views: 7,431
4 Brown Algae and Stagnant Coral Growth
Replies: 29
Views: 1,096
More...
Old 02-26-2018, 01:47 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Sounds interesting, do you have additional information ?

G.Alexander
it took me 6 months to collect enough data to judge based on. it was pain.
so I used marine pure initially and I noticed that al, Si are creeping on and increasing month by month. so I started experimenting and sending triton test every week and here is what I discovered:
marine pure submerged in salt water without zeo products leach al, Si slowly. this process is accelerated when using ZZ, every time I use ZZ, marine pure seems to leach more Al and Si, and my guess was that ZZ somehow is breaking down some elements in the marine pure.
my experiments were done on a separate container of marine pur block submerged with salt water that is maintained with proper circulation and at 35ppt, 75c all the time.
finally one thing that was also obvious is that the marine pure blocks keep breaking down with water flow (normal sump water flow) in to fine sand and fill up the sump with debris that end up impacting the skimmer and pumps. no to mention the nutrients that are stuck in the marine pure blocks that if not rinsed regular will increase NO3/PO4 by time.
once I removed the marine pure I saw the reduction in Al and Si one to one. meaning, when I remove 50% of the marine pure, I got 50% reduction in the4 AL after one month, then when I removed marine pure 100% I got al free in my tank within 2 months,.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:10 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzeo View Post
Hi thought I should update no3 is 0 phosphate is still high 0.043 Ive been dosing biomate daily for 2 weeks no reduction in phosphates.im considering adding a small amount of phosphate absorber to see if it helps Im aware that rapid reduction could cause stn rtn but in a small amount it should be limited to how much it removes,any tips,only dosing basics at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you already checked / measured the zeovit reactor flow ?

0.043 mg is not really a issue I am sure it will come down in the next couple of weeks slowly.

G.Alexander
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 AM
ZEOadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
it took me 6 months to collect enough data to judge based on. it was pain.
so I used marine pure initially and I noticed that al, Si are creeping on and increasing month by month. so I started experimenting and sending triton test every week and here is what I discovered:
marine pure submerged in salt water without zeo products leach al, Si slowly. this process is accelerated when using ZZ, every time I use ZZ, marine pure seems to leach more Al and Si, and my guess was that ZZ somehow is breaking down some elements in the marine pure.
my experiments were done on a separate container of marine pur block submerged with salt water that is maintained with proper circulation and at 35ppt, 75c all the time.
finally one thing that was also obvious is that the marine pure blocks keep breaking down with water flow (normal sump water flow) in to fine sand and fill up the sump with debris that end up impacting the skimmer and pumps. no to mention the nutrients that are stuck in the marine pure blocks that if not rinsed regular will increase NO3/PO4 by time.
once I removed the marine pure I saw the reduction in Al and Si one to one. meaning, when I remove 50% of the marine pure, I got 50% reduction in the4 AL after one month, then when I removed marine pure 100% I got al free in my tank within 2 months,.
Thank you for the additional details, really interesting as I observe more and more people does use the material even if it is not necessary.

Have you observed any negative impact to your corals or any improvement with them after removing the material ?

G.Alexander
Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Dzeo Dzeo 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Yes thanks ohashimz I want to remove my marine pure bloke but Im to concerned il get a massive no3 spike,or will zeovit handle it?it should,dont want to risk causing stn rtn

Old 02-27-2018, 02:54 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Thank you for the additional details, really interesting as I observe more and more people does use the material even if it is not necessary.

Have you observed any negative impact to your corals or any improvement with them after removing the material ?

G.Alexander
i am bit more data driven and do not like to have conclusions quickly, BUT, I did see more Alk, CAL consumption and coral growth once I removed all the blocks. now this can be due to the reduction in my PO4/NO3 and Al or at least its part of it.
I agree with you, I think reefers like to experiment and these companies advertise broadly that can entice people to use them. now I have realized that increasing the media using these products are truly not needed as long as you have aquacaped rocks.
I think what reefers miss some times is that in zeo system the bacteria population is living predominantly in the zeolite (or at least that's what I believe), that's why we see zeos ystem is successful with bare bottom tanks more than other systems as it do not depend solely on the rocks and sand to host the bacteria.

what do you think alex?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:09 AM
ZEOadmin

In my opinion there is not better way thank running a zeovit system with live rock, this is my experience. Bare Bottom systems do work also but from my experience they have more often / heavier swings in the biology which does have a negative impact to the corals. I have had best results with a thin sand bed in my systems with all kind of corals.

The ZeoVit material hosts bacteria on its surface which his very porous. The pores of the material are to small to fit bacteria inside the rocks but this is fine as the surface is really huge.

G.Alexander
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Dzeo Dzeo 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

My protein skimmer has died Ive just ordered a new a skimmer but wont probably arrive till next Friday!will my tank be ok?il do 10%wayer Change sat and cut back on feeding,should I dose as normal or should I cut back on zeostart?
Thank

Old 03-01-2018, 02:41 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzeo View Post
My protein skimmer has died Ive just ordered a new a skimmer but wont probably arrive till next Friday!will my tank be ok?il do 10%wayer Change sat and cut back on feeding,should I dose as normal or should I cut back on zeostart?
Thank

reduce feeding, increase flow if possible, do water change more often if you see rise in PO4/NO3.
the key here is to daily check your PO4/NO3 to avoid surprises.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Dzeo Dzeo 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Default My tank spec

So dont bother reducing zeostart?i got a few tank changes coming next few weeks,Im going to remove the Marine pure block concerned about no3 spike,new skimmer will be installed,also changing from led to t5 after waiting nearly 2months for my kz lamps!!!ordered off a well known uk supplier I wont name names,obviously I wont do all at once but which way you think I should go about these changes and should I just continue the basics or maybe dose flatworm stop and coral booster to help?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Do not stir things while no skimmer in the system. I woild wait on removing the marine pure untill i get the skimmer. Witgout skimmer, You want to avoid having dirty water unless the water will be removed.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Dzeo Dzeo 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Update,so things are looking Int good po4 finally coming down 0.008,got great pe and growth,nitrates and po4 did spike without a skimmer but I did water changes also I have finally installed the ati t5 8 54wwith kz lamps and to be honest I think that has made the difference in the turn around in my tank!i still have the block of marine pure in sump but things are looking good and I dont want to ruin that todo I might hold of removing it for another month als I find k is been used up super fast Im considering putting on the doser[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/107df78e91e52970a9d29c5a7065ca64.jpg[/IMG

Old 03-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Dzeo Dzeo 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Ps thank for the tips