zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Conversion to Zeo from Bio-Pellets
Last Post: detective_colombo
Posted On: Today
Replies: 34
Views: 2,651
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 10
Views: 466
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Replies: 2
Views: 42
0 ALK Spike
Last Post: Pnorris11
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 Converting a 1 yr old tank to Zeovit
Last Post: Vincentwangz
Replies: 21
Views: 1,079
0 Settin up a nano tank whit zeovit...how much flow?
Last Post: Ghiaccio1o
Replies: 3
Views: 58
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 134
Views: 10,030
0 What to do by high barium
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 22
Views: 1,076
0 My little Clownfish
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 1
Views: 38
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 50
Views: 1,653
More...
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Help starting ZEOvit on an established tank

Hi,
I have an established tank and need help on how to start the ZEOvit system. My goal is to reduce nutrients - nitrates in particular. Here is info on my existing system:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 67 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 60 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Yes, running BRS media reactor with a mix of 1/3 BRS GFO and 2/3 BRS ROX carbon
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 rated for 90-175 gallons tank
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4=0.0 ppm, NO3=3 ppm
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca=405 ppm, All=8.74 dKH, Mg=1320 ppm
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) 2"-3" sand bed in display tank, in sump - filter floss (replaced once per week), 2 gallon fuge with cheato and two 8"x8"X1" marine pure blocks,
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) ATI Sunpower 36" with 4 T5 bulbs and Nanobox LED hybrid fixture
12. What corals do you keep At the moment mostly just LPS and softies. I would like to better keep SPS corals but I've been struggling with nitrate spikes (as high as 40 ppm). I've done a series of large water changes over the course of a week to reduce my nitrates.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Maybe a little on the darker side
14. How long has the tank been running 1 year
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Reduce nutrients - nitrates in particular
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) I have an auto-doser that doses 65 ml each of BRS Alk (sodium carbonate) and Ca (calcium chloride) daily, and 10 ml of BRS magnesium mix daily.
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) Yes, 65 lbs of live rock
18. Any present problems Would like a more effective way of keeping nitrates low
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) SPS corals and chalices have a low survival rate in my tank
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna checker for Alk, Red Sea for Ca and Mg, and API for nitrates. Although I recently bought a Red Sea nitrate test kit since the API kinda sucks.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) None
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity=1.025, temp=79-80 degrees Fahrenheit
23. Which salt brand do you use Natural sea water. I live near the ocean, and there is an oceanography facility that offers natural sea water from the ocean for reef hobbyist. It is a pipe that goes out about 500 feet from shore and 30' below the ocean's surface. Nitrates and phosphates are at near zero, Alk=6.83 dKH, Ca=390 ppm, Mg=1220 ppm. Before use, I dose the NSW to Alk=9.5dKH, Ca=430 ppm, and Mg=1350 ppm.

I do 10% water changes every week. I have limited space in my sump for a Zeo reactor, so I'm looking to start by placing the Zeovit stones in a mesh bag and putting it in between the skimmer chamber and return pump chamber. I should be able to shake the stones filled mesh bag daily while keeping the mesh bag submerged. I was also going to place the Zeo carbon bag in the same spot next to it. In the future I may add a Zeo reactor where I will use my main pump to drive it (I have an Ecotech Vectra M1 for my pump). As such, I will not be able to do the 3 hrs on and 3 hrs off for the Zeo stones as the guide recommends.

Any advice on how I should get started will be much appreciated! Thanks,