zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Kh plus
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 15
Views: 238
0 Clarisea Gen2 Automatic Filter Roller Unboxing
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 moving from aF back to Zoevit
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 21
Views: 1,052
0 Syds red sea 170
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: 10-14-2018
Replies: 9
Views: 227
0 A restart
Replies: 118
Views: 10,540
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 187
Views: 15,474
0 Hilfe..No3 0..Po4 zu hoch
Posted On: 10-13-2018
Replies: 27
Views: 1,204
0 Mein Zeobecken
Replies: 61
Views: 4,511
0 100g SPS Tank
Replies: 19
Views: 1,016
0 200 gallon switch to Zeovit
Replies: 105
Views: 6,523
More...

Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 AM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Considering switching from FM to Zeo

Dear Alexander,

I have been running a SPS dominant reef for past 2 years or so.. During the last 1 year the reef has been running on Fauna Marin products and allthough I am somewhat satisifed with my tank overall I feel I can get much better colors from my SPS in particulars if I move to perhaps a Zeo FM Hybrid system.

Why I say hybrid system is because there are certain products from FM which I have been using with good results and I am not yet ready to entirely give up on them to run a strict Zeovit system. However what is lacking from their system is presence of good mechanism to keep the nutrients down due to lack of carbon dosing products and as a result my reef is always hovering at very high nitrate levels (in range of 50ppm ) P04 seems to be under control though hovering around 5-10 PPB.

Now inorder to bring my Nitrates down i started dosing NO3PO4x. And during the last 2 weeks or so the Nitrates have started to fall steadily. Now I am a littl confused as to how best approach to make the switch. These are the zeovit products i have already bought and intend to incorporate amongst my daily dosing and I am looking for your inputs as to how to go about it or any additional products which I should look at in order to get the best coloration out of my corals.

1. zeobak
2. Zeostart
3. Zeospur
4. Biomate
5. Acro Glow

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 600 Litres
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 600 litres
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique : Red Sea 2 parts
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) : No
5. Are you using Ozone: no
6. Are you using UV: Yes ( 10 hours at night )
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume): Curve 9 rated for 1000-1500 Liters
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: No3 = 20 and po4 = 0.03ppm
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: Ca=400ppm, Alk=7.3dKh, Mg=1200ppm , K - 390
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.): Skimmer , roller mat, 2 x marine pure blocks
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.):8x54w ATI sunpower (4 hours)+ Reefbrite (8 hours ) + 2xHydra 52HD. (10 hours)
12. What corals do you keep: SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark): On the darker side
14. How long has the tank been running: 2.5 years
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system: better coloration for my SPS
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.): FM Amino Acids, Coral balance, Coral Vitalizer & color elements
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.): live rocks - 2.5 year old approx 20 -25 kgs
18. Any present problems : Aptasia Infestation
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.):
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.): Salifert and Hanna checker ULR
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.): salinity 1.026, temp 26-27 degrees in summer and 25-26 in winters.
23. Which salt brand do you use: Red Sea Blue bucket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_173640.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	21602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_185024.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	21603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_211903.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	21604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_180008.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	21605  
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello,welcome to zeovit

Probably the following, see for a reference.

Start reducing nutrition from basic products:

1. Place 1.5 liters of zeovit into the Zeo reactor. The zeolite water flow is approximately 600 liters per hour.The reactor pump was connected to a clock timer and the reactor pump was run for a start time of 3 hours / 3 hours / 3 hours. When shutting down the pump, make sure that the zeolite is not exposed to the air. Clean the materials daily. The zeolite was left in the filter for 4 weeks until the first replacement. This is the first replacement interval and the others may be extended to 6-8 weeks.

2. Place 0.6 liters of activated carbon into the filter bag and place it in a passive stream of water in the sump, changing every 30 days. Rub the carbon every day to keep the surface clean. Most users get the perfect result with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Take 6 drops of ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, taking 2-3 times a week, 6 drops each time. Daily dose 0.6 ml ZeoStart 2 times (morning and evening). They are put into use before the Zeo reactor pump is switched on.

Later you can use other products for coral staining. Adjust your skimmer to keep it moist, keep it clean, and export as much as possible. Add water with salt and change water 5-10% per week.

The basic water parameters look good and try to stay stable in the following range of New South Wales:

KH 6.5 - 7.5
Ca 400 - 420 mg
Mg 1250 - 1300 mg
K + ~380 mg

For malnourished environments, K + (potassium) seems to be an important factor. I suggest you also get a test kit for this element and post your results.

@You are using UV: Yes (10 hours in the evening),
A: it is recommended to stop using it. It is not recommended to use it in the kz system.

@Now, in order to lower my nitrate, I started taking NO3PO4x. In the past two weeks or so, nitrate has begun to decline steadily.
A:It is recommended that you try to slowly reduce the dose, and pay attention to no3 po4, they should not rise, switch to zeo start3.

@ 16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.): FM amino acid, coral balance, coral vitality and color element
A: Let us temporarily stop adding, change to use better in malnourished environment

@ 18. Any current question: Aptasia infection
A: Forgive me for lack of experience, more narratives, or pictures

@ 10. What filter method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.): skimmer, roller pad, 2 x marine pure block
A: usually kz system, sump inside, skimmer, zeolite reactor, activated carbon, live rock . Other items are not recommended. Try to rule out the cause of uncertain objects

A:Confirm that the ro/di unit is good

Note: There may be something wrong with this. Its just my small suggestion. I hope you can refer to G.Alexanders suggestion.

Last edited by jacky; 09-18-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Welcome AB_Reefer, to Zeovit

First I must say that you have a great looking tank, and I can't wait to see what it will look like in a few months time!

Do you plan on using a Zeovit reactor, or will you just implement the zeovit additives to your current dosing schedule? I think you might find it hard to decrease the Nitrates without using a reactor, but I may be wrong.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Difficult for me to give you a real recommendation as I do not know which results the products you already use have to the corals in conjunction with the basic ZeoVit system.

Can you tell if you plan to use a ZeoVit reactor with the material also or do you prefer to just dose some “additives” which does have a positive effect to the corals ?

G.Alexander
Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 AM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Dear Alexander / Blackizz /Jacky,

Thank you all for your prompt replies..

I am using a zeovit reactor already since the start of Fauna marin system 1 year ago. It contains around 500 ML of Fauna marin zeolight stones. The flow rate through the reactor is approx 200-220 liters per hour and its on 24x7. I change the media approx 7 -8 weeks..

Regarding the UV , i am aware its not recommended in the Zeovit system but i started using it as a last resort to fight my bad dino outbreak and the results were just amazing.. Since then i have reduced the running period slowly from 24 hours to 10 hours.. This I feel keeps my water crystal clear and I havent had any outbreaks for Dino / Cyano or any other nasties for past 7-8 months or so. Also as far as I understand majority of zeo bacteria are colonizing on the zeovit rocks and the live rocks and UV will only kill the free flowing bacteria in the water column so it shouldnt conflict with much with the zeovit system ??s

RODI is good with period change of filters and resin and 0 TDS water.

I am unable to do weekly water changes and do a 15% WC every weeks or so..
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 AM
ZEOadmin

I do not have experience with mixing different systems but basically this is what I would try to dose from the korallenzucht components you already have:

ZeoBac – 6 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart – 0.6 ml 2 x daily
BioMate – 12 drops 2 x weekly
AcroGlow – 6 ml 2 – 3 x weekly

ZeoSpur2 can be used later once things are working well.

As you run a UV system additional I recommend to switch it off for about 2 hours while dosing.

G.Alexander
Old 09-19-2018, 07:39 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

First of all, your tank coral is really beautiful, I like it very much. You explained very well, it made it easy for me to know your original understanding and it was great.

Your explanation inspired me another idea. First of all, I have not used UV germicidal lamp experience.

My idea is: Will the bacteria needed by the carbon source method be disposed of, which will result in insufficient sound or need to be more A large dose, which leads to the measurement of n and p, is a simple idea for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 AM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
First of all, your tank coral is really beautiful, I like it very much. You explained very well, it made it easy for me to know your original understanding and it was great.

Your explanation inspired me another idea. First of all, I have not used UV germicidal lamp experience.

My idea is: Will the bacteria needed by the carbon source method be disposed of, which will result in insufficient sound or need to be more A large dose, which leads to the measurement of n and p, is a simple idea for me.

Thanks again Jacky, to me its a work in progress.. There are lot of things and new products out there i want to try But I am too lazy to start multiple reef tanks so I would continue my experimentation on this tank itself , hoping I dont end up nuking the entire thing..

Now I am no expert on the topic of carbon dosing or bacteria or UV lamps for that matter and thats why I was hoping to get more insights on this website..
Normally i hand dose the carbon 2 times a day afternoon and evening. And this is the time when bacteria should be utilizing this carbon and burning up on NO3 & PO4 is what my assumption is. And most of this bacteria should be on the live rock or zeo media not free flowing in water column (again this is my understanding so someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong).. My UV is on an auto switch from 11 pm at night to around 9 am next morning.. During this time I am not dosing anything to my tank and the UV just helps keep the water really clear and perhaps much more...
Old 09-24-2018, 05:31 AM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I do not have experience with mixing different systems but basically this is what I would try to dose from the korallenzucht components you already have:

ZeoBac 6 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart 0.6 ml 2 x daily
BioMate 12 drops 2 x weekly
AcroGlow 6 ml 2 3 x weekly

ZeoSpur2 can be used later once things are working well.

As you run a UV system additional I recommend to switch it off for about 2 hours while dosing.

G.Alexander

Hi Alexander, thanks for your recommendation for dosage. Kindly note I made a mistake in the product list and instead of acro-glow i have coral vitalizer.

Also shouldn't i dose the ZB everyday for first week or so ?

UV is only on at night time when nothing is dosed to the tank..

thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:37 PM
ZEOadmin

12 drops CoralVitalizer 2 x weekly should work well, because of ZeoBac you can dose it daily for 10 days at the beginning or after a material exchange.

G.Alexander
Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 PM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
12 drops CoralVitalizer 2 x weekly should work well, because of ZeoBac you can dose it daily for 10 days at the beginning or after a material exchange.

G.Alexander
The instruction on the bottle says 1 drop per 100 L so basically we are double dosing CV and Biomate?
Should this dosage be kept at these levels or gradually reduced back ?

thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:56 PM
ZEOadmin

I have personally had better results while doubling the dosage of those two products 2 x weekly instead of smaller quantities more often but if you like to you can also change the dosage to the bottles labels.

G.Alexander
Old 10-04-2018, 02:26 AM
AB_Reefer AB_Reefer 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Alexander.

Just an update.. I have been using the zeovit products for about 2 weeks now and wow.. The colors are already showing signs of great improvement.. Allmost all SPS have much more vivid colors with tips of acro turning blue/pink/purple..

Now I am looking to add more zeovit products in my dosing regime to further up my sps coloration.. What additional products will you suggest?

Also i think i noticed is some of my acros are starting to be coverd in a stringy slime like thing.. Not sure if its a good thing or a bad.. any ideas?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:29 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Just an update.. I have been using zeovit products for about 2 weeks, wow.. colors have shown signs of great improvement.. All SPS have more vivid colors with acro turn blue/pink/purple tips..
@Very happy that you are getting achievements slowly, this is what we choose KZ.

Now I want to add more zeovit products to my dosing plan to further increase my sps coloring. What other products would you recommend?
@ Red =K+, BB. Blue = PIF, JOD, Green = IRON, Xtra, AA, CV, CB, SP, start3. I have not enough experience in this part and I am sorry for you.

Also, I think I noticed that some of my acros started to be covered in something like a slimy mucus.. Not sure if it is good or bad... Any ideas?
@ Posting pictures is easier to know
Old 10-05-2018, 02:05 AM
ZEOadmin

Can you please post a picture of the slime you have mention ?

Difficult to give a recommendation as I do not know how your corals are looking at the moment, any chance to post some good example pictures of your corals or describe what exactly you like to improve ?

G.Alexander