zeovit.com AquaIllumination  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 200 gallon switch to Zeovit
Last Post: kosiarek84
Posted On: Today
Replies: 68
Views: 3,949
4 Help please Potassium deficiency? or growth?
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 8
Views: 113
0 Coral nutrition
Replies: 4
Views: 56
0 Austria Zeovit Reef 2.0
Replies: 57
Views: 2,291
0 High Phosphates on new Zeovit system!
Replies: 16
Views: 324
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 133
Views: 10,312
0 100g SPS Tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 5
Views: 234
0 What kind of algae is this and how do I get rid of it.
Last Post: Bugger
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 62
0 Euphyllia and lps aminoacid
Last Post: Bugger
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 6
Views: 162
0 25% OFF PE Mysis Pellets + New Glue from PolypLab
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 09-21-2018
Replies: 0
Views: 42
More...

Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM
zebra zebra 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Doubts guide on zeovit.

Hello, I have read the new zeovit guide and I have some doubts.

1.- Is it not necessary to turn off the skimmer with a producer such as zeobak, biomate, coral snow and Zeozym?

2.- Is it not necessary for the zeoback and the zeostar3 to be dosed at the inlet of the zeolite reactor pump?

3.- With regard to B-Balance, is not it the same or better to dose 1ml / 100litres 3 times a week than 3ml / 100litres 1 time a week?

regards
Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Hello, I have read the new zeovit guide and I have some doubts.

1.- Is it not necessary to turn off the skimmer with a producer such as zeobak, biomate, coral snow and Zeozym?

2.- Is it not necessary for the zeoback and the zeostar3 to be dosed at the inlet of the zeolite reactor pump?

3.- With regard to B-Balance, is not it the same or better to dose 1ml / 100litres 3 times a week than 3ml / 100litres 1 time a week?

regards
well the new guide is done by the one and only Thomas Phol, so am sure it all correct.
here is the thing, zeovit is reactive system, meaning you can apply it in multiple ways depending on how your system react.
some evidence based on your questions:
1- I do not turn off skimmer for any of these products except zz, even with zz I have some times forgot to turn it off. I think the turning off rational came from the fact that the skimmer can overflow when you dose ZZ that's all. the rest of the product do not require turning off anything.
2- I never dose ZB ZS to the reactor directly and it never mattered for my system. think about it, if your system is stable why would it matter? ZB is bacteria and ZS is food for this bacteria. it will eventually make it way to the zeolite regardless where you dose it. these are microscopic organism that will pass through all your filters and make it to the zeolite and to your rocks.
3- BB ppl dose it in different fashion. some daily, some every 2 days and some weekly. at the end of the day the amount you dose weekly is the same if you dose every day. I asked Thomas Phol about the BB specifically and he told me it does not matter if I want to dose daily or weekly, what matter is how my system react and need....
make sense?
the old guide was more of guideline not bible, am treating the new guide the same. this is the beauty of Zeovit.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
zebra zebra 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hello ohashimz. the truth that everything you tell me makes sense, also makes it more comfortable.

Being aware of the skimmer was the worst thing I had, because as I dose almost all the products at night then I had to wait to start it before going to sleep.

He had also made a tube that directed the ZB and the ZS to the inlet of the zeolite reactor pump, but that has the hours counted.

Another thing that the guide does is not to dose PIF on the same day as ZB, BM or CC.
The truth is that with so much product it is difficult sometimes to square things. What I do is to dissolve the PIF in the morning before the lights are turned on, and the bacteria at night, after the zeolite reactor acts, I hope it is enough time for these products not to interact.

Greetings and thanks for your comments.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Hello ohashimz. the truth that everything you tell me makes sense, also makes it more comfortable.

Being aware of the skimmer was the worst thing I had, because as I dose almost all the products at night then I had to wait to start it before going to sleep.

He had also made a tube that directed the ZB and the ZS to the inlet of the zeolite reactor pump, but that has the hours counted.

Another thing that the guide does is not to dose PIF on the same day as ZB, BM or CC.
The truth is that with so much product it is difficult sometimes to square things. What I do is to dissolve the PIF in the morning before the lights are turned on, and the bacteria at night, after the zeolite reactor acts, I hope it is enough time for these products not to interact.

Greetings and thanks for your comments.

"Being aware of the skimmer was the worst thing I had, because as I dose almost all the products at night then I had to wait to start it before going to sleep. "
BTW if you are using any controller all you need to do is to set a feed setting. then have your skimmer turned off when feed cycle is initiated.
what I do is I have 2 hours feed cycle on my apex, and have my skimmer turn off whenever the feed cycle start. so when I dose ZZ I simply activate my feed cycle and go to sleep, skimmer will turn off then turn on once feed cycle end (2 hours)...)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
"Being aware of the skimmer was the worst thing I had, because as I dose almost all the products at night then I had to wait to start it before going to sleep. "

BTW if you are using any controller all you need to do is to set a feed setting. then have your skimmer turned off when feed cycle is initiated.

what I do is I have 2 hours feed cycle on my apex, and have my skimmer turn off whenever the feed cycle start. so when I dose ZZ I simply activate my feed cycle and go to sleep, skimmer will turn off then turn on once feed cycle end (2 hours)...)

I always wonder if it matters to turn in back on after 2 hours? I always do it based on what you thought me, however is it the end of the world if you wait until you wake up in the am? Or 3 hours later, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scybulski View Post
I always wonder if it matters to turn in back on after 2 hours? I always do it based on what you thought me, however is it the end of the world if you wait until you wake up in the am? Or 3 hours later, etc.....

The issue is filtration. You do not want to turn off important equipments like skimmer when it's not needed. For me 2 hours is long to be honest. Remember every time u turn skimmer off then on even for small time, it take the skimmer time to start building good foam and skimmate.
So I will say it's not the end of the world rather missing on opportunity to filter your tank from harmful particles...make sense?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
The issue is filtration. You do not want to turn off important equipments like skimmer when it's not needed. For me 2 hours is long to be honest. Remember every time u turn skimmer off then on even for small time, it take the skimmer time to start building good foam and skimmate.
So I will say it's not the end of the world rather missing on opportunity to filter your tank from harmful particles...make sense?

As always yes and thank you. I usually keep the skimmer on, however just remove the cup (clean it out then)... actually I sit it on top not locked In so easy to connect and go to bed. I do have an apex and could shut it off and turn on on a schedule like you suggested or remotely. However always afraid that it might not come back on correctly (I do have a decent skimmer quantum NYOS).

Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
As always yes and thank you. I usually keep the skimmer on, however just remove the cup (clean it out then)... actually I sit it on top not locked In so easy to connect and go to bed. I do have an apex and could shut it off and turn on on a schedule like you suggested or remotely. However always afraid that it might not come back on correctly (I do have a decent skimmer quantum NYOS).

Lol if you do not trust your controller you should not use it. Ha ha
Apex is reliable thu

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Lol if you do not trust your controller you should not use it. Ha ha
Apex is reliable thu

I dont trust my skimmer pump! Some small particle jam it up or something else... Apex is solid (touch wood). As you said I dont mess with skimming. So even if I did the timer I would run down stairs to double check so I can sleep easy... so I just put the cup on 2 hours later...

Esp after you got my tank straightened out....

Old 04-04-2018, 03:36 AM
zebra zebra 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Well the truth is that I do not turn off the skimmer when I dose ZZ. If it was for CS, BM, ZB and CV. Although after reading the new guide I will stop turning it off.

For my 300 liters net I stir 1/3 of tablespoon race in approximately 1/2 liter of water in a bucket with lid before going to sleep. Lately I take advantage of it and I also add 6 drops of biomate. When I get up I'm done in the aquarium and I go to work, about 2 or 3 hours before the lights come on. I never saw my skimmer start frothing like crazy. Nor do I have a controller to program a stop cycle.

By the way, the truth that the spoon that brings the boat of ZZ does not stop me the most adequate to take half measures or to leave it race.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Default Doubts guide on zeovit.

Quote:
Well the truth is that I do not turn off the skimmer when I dose ZZ. If it was for CS, BM, ZB and CV. Although after reading the new guide I will stop turning it off.

For my 300 liters net I stir 1/3 of tablespoon race in approximately 1/2 liter of water in a bucket with lid before going to sleep. Lately I take advantage of it and I also add 6 drops of biomate. When I get up I'm done in the aquarium and I go to work, about 2 or 3 hours before the lights come on. I never saw my skimmer start frothing like crazy. Nor do I have a controller to program a stop cycle.

By the way, the truth that the spoon that brings the boat of ZZ does not stop me the most adequate to take half measures or to leave it race.

Ohashimz has me doing it twice a week. I mix at 2:00 pm ZZ in a quart container with a lid of tank water. 4 hours later I add 8 drops of BM and mix it all up. 4 hours later my lights are off. 8 hours total. I mix again and dump into the tank. Skimmer collection cup removed and cleaned. 2 hours later put the skimmer cup on and done.

We have 90 gallon tank with sump. 100 gallons of water is what we base it on.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Ohashimz has me doing it twice a week. I mix at 2:00 pm ZZ in a quart container with a lid of tank water. 4 hours later I add 8 drops of BM and mix it all up. 4 hours later my lights are off. 8 hours total. I mix again and dump into the tank. Skimmer collection cup removed and cleaned. 2 hours later put the skimmer cup on and done.

We have 90 gallon tank with sump. 100 gallons of water is what we base it on.

This is a proven way of maximize the effectiveness of zz. Zz breakdown nutrients and mulm, along with bm ot help reduce po4.
Reason why you want skimmer off after zz does is that once zz break down nutrients ot might overflow the skimmer and end up taking out zz and BM contents. So turning off skimmer help keep the zz and bm in the water column long enough to do maximum impact from zz sjd have the BM bacteria establish on the substrate..
Hope this help

Old 04-05-2018, 10:00 AM
zebra zebra 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

okay. I understand the process, but I can not guarantee being at home 8 hours before the lights go out and less than 4 hours before adding the bimate.

What I can do is prepare at night the ZZ along with the BM, and the next morning, 8 hours later and 3 hours before the lights are turned on, dose it in the aquarium turning off the skimmer with a timer 2 hours between before I go to work.

I hope it works......
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
okay. I understand the process, but I can not guarantee being at home 8 hours before the lights go out and less than 4 hours before adding the bimate.

What I can do is prepare at night the ZZ along with the BM, and the next morning, 8 hours later and 3 hours before the lights are turned on, dose it in the aquarium turning off the skimmer with a timer 2 hours between before I go to work.

I hope it works......
Zebra by all means these methods are nothing but practices and experinces. You do not have to follow it to the letter. I actually use the described method above when I am fighting algae like diatom or cyano. Rational is: since zs break down nutrients I rather release these nutrients when lights are off so algae cannot take these nutrients and grow more with the help of the lights. Then the next day morning I dose cs since cs bind elements and nutrients so I hold these nutrients bound and nutrient cannot take them when lights are on.
But when I do not have algae and system is stable po4 no3 I does whenever I have time and not necessarily as decribed.
I gave this method to some readers who were struggling with algae ot cyano why.
Moral of the story, as long as you does zz you will get its general benifits same with bm. I do not always dose BM with zz. Some times I dose it alone some times with cs..
I believe Alex is a big believer of dosing individual elements without mixing them at all and I believe it's because his system is stable unls.
So find your groove and what's suits you and your time. Do not index too much on what you read here and there.
I always advice reefers not to blindly try whatever they read in forms. One because every system is diffrent, two There are many miss-informations and myths out there. You will folks struggling with all type of problems in their system yet they will give strong advice that looks like expert advices. That's why in my end of I have not see the system reefer have to judge their expert level I di not simply follow their advices or experience rather learn from it and correlate it to someone else results.

Make sense?

Last edited by ohashimz; 04-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM
zebra zebra 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hello ohashimz, yes, totally agree with what you think. It is true that there are too many myths in the method and that is why I resort to this chat, where many people can take advantage of the experience of people like Alex or you.

Thank you for your comments