zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Time to stop Zeovit?
Last Post: Daddio
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 35
0 New Tank, ready to rock and roll!
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 17
Views: 1,315
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Replies: 200
Views: 11,106
0 Easy Lift Magnetic Zeofilter
Last Post: berlin-riff
Replies: 3
Views: 138
0 建立微信群
Last Post: 淹死的鱼
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 144
0 Flatworm stop
Last Post: rigleautomotive
Views: 152
0 A Reef in the Sky
Last Post: Pandy
Replies: 919
Views: 314,885
0 Aktivkohle im Fliessbettfilter
Replies: 5
Views: 412
0 New zeovit in France
Replies: 40
Views: 3,727
0 My salty box
Last Post: blackizzz
Views: 98
More...
Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Dry rock cycle

So I started my system and I'm 2 days into the 14 day cycle, I'm using dry rock instead of live rock to avoid unwanted pests. I know that this makes the cycle last longer, so should I just test the water for ammonia and when that reaches 0 I'm good to start adding test coral and a few fish?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I expect you started the cycle using the following regimen:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.ph...60&postcount=7

If so difficult to say when it is time to add the first coral. It really depends to many factors so ammonium is just one of them. Algae Growth, nutrients and biological stability are others.

It might take a couple of month before the system really runs stabile and it might take even longer before you can keep more difficult corals successful.

G.Alexander
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Yes the link you posted is what I'm following. I'm not in any hurry to add corals, but might be introducing fish after a couple weeks because my LFS is holding them for me. I don't want them to be sold on accident or put them out in any sort of way.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 PM
ZEOadmin

Sounds good, because of the fish I recommend to add them slowly step by step, not all at once to prevent a uncontrolled spike of nutrients.

G.Alexander
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 AM
Michal Michal 目前線上
TeamZeoVit

I started a 600l tank with dry rock using 14-day zeo cycle.
Everything depends on the rock - dry rock may release tons of phosphates.
I had no problems with corals, but I had only few small fish, so fresh zeo was able to control nutrients.

Don't overstock with fish at the beginning, and expect that it might take 6+ months for dry rock to mature and cover with coralline algae etc (depends on the rock).

Also if you want to keep your system pest free you should dip all new corals and cut them off from their plugs.
I did not do it and despite using dry rock I brought pests on the plugs - acro eating flatworms, acro eating crabs, aiptasia...
I won't make this mistake again on my upcoming system

Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.
- Matsuo Munefusa
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I plan on adding fish slowly according to the recommendations in the 14 day cycle link. I soaked my dry rock in RO for over a week, hoping that took some po4 out. I'll be adding cheaper test sps after maybe a month if my tests are turning out good.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 PM
ZEOadmin

Check the water you use to soak the rocks for PO4. The level should be very low before you add the rocks to the system starting the cycle. One week is not really long but as Michal has already mention it does also depend to the kind of rocks.

G.Alexander
Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter Approximately 125 Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter Approximately 100 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique- I will be using calcium reactor once the cycle is over and theres a demand for cal and alk.
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) ASM Gen 3
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Po4 - 0.00ppm and No3 -
0.04ppm Red Sea pro tests

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - testing later today, will update post after.
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Zeo reactor, skimmer, marinepure blocks
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 4ft 8 bulbs t5 and 2ft 8 bulb t5 with all ATI blue plus bulbs. Adding reefbrites when I have the funds for them.
12. What corals do you keep - Going to be SPS and LPS torches and acans specifically
13. Tissue color (light or dark) n/a
14. How long has the tank been running 6 days
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Want to run for color and growth while also being close to natural sea water
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) 14 day cycle dosing
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) Dry Rock
18. Any present problems not that i know of
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) red sea for po4 and no3, hanna for alk. purhcasing a calcium soon before adding livestock.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea Blue bucket
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

So above are my tank specs. I just tested my no3 and po4, po4 is not even detectable, and no3 was 0.04ppm. Using the Red Sea pro test kits. I used to use hanna for my po4 but that test was not consistent from one test after another, so I have more of a trust level with red seas pro test kit at the moment. Anyways, are these numbers normal for day 6? I was expecting the see both po4 and no3 high, like really high. No algae has formed yet on sand or rock, but maybe looks like a film is creating on the glass. I soaked my dry rock and dry sand for over a week in RO water. Maybe I got a good batch of dry rock that isnt leaching or maybe that part didnt happen yet. Im going to continue my 14 day dosage which looks like this:

ZEObak 4 drops daily
ZEOstart3 0.4ml twice a day totaling 0.8ml
SpongePower 4 drops daily

Comments or concerns? I feel like I'm on the right track.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:22 AM
ZEOadmin

Sounds good, your rocks seem to be soaked well otherwise you should experience a higher PO4 level. Your dosing regimen is fine, lets continue as planned.

G.Alexander
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Sounds good, thanks for the help G. Alexander!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I added 4 fish and a purple stylophora. Everything looks good And I'm closing in on the end of the 14 day cycle. Are there Any products I should be thinking about ordering now so I have them on hand when needed? Or should I continue with the basic zeobak, sponge power and zeostart until my coral starts acting negatively? What potassium test kits does everyone use and or recommend? And a random side question, are there any products used specifically or can be used to enhance colors on softies like zoas and palys?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 AM
ZEOadmin

I recommend to stay with the basics now. Around the 4 week mark replace 50% of the zeovit material and dose ZeoBac daily for 10 days after the exchange. Around the same time you can start with the regular water changes.

I have personally used the K+ test from korallenzucht, but it is not easy to rad. Salifer, TropicMarin and RedSea does offer test kits also but I can not tell you how accurate they are, never used them. Basically it might make sense to do a professional water test from time to time just to see if the own kits are still accurate.

G.Alexander
Old 02-26-2018, 03:08 AM
Kschmez Kschmez 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Ok thanks! Would Xtra and coral booster help any with soft coral coloration? Or maybe AAs?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:02 AM
ZEOadmin

I do not think it makes much difference at this status but if you like to give it a try you can dose XTra @ 1 ml / 25 US gallons 2 x weekly to see what happens. If algae start to grow stop dosing it again, the system is still very young and the biology, which is important for coloration is still building up.

G.Alexander