zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
7 D幦arrage protocole
Last Post: Orel Recif
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 60
0 Want to change over to zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 14
Views: 844
0 New Public Grade Aquarium-
Last Post: Coigula
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 365
0 Alkalinity
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 39
Views: 1,500
0 New KZ reactor with base unglued on new arrival
Last Post: ohashimz
Replies: 7
Views: 95
0 Vibe questions
Last Post: ohashimz
Replies: 27
Views: 1,806
0 T5 Supplement Radion - Bulb choice
Last Post: Coigula
Replies: 3
Views: 660
0 What size reactor?
Last Post: Chad_P
Replies: 2
Views: 77
0 How to reduce Nitrates
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 08-17-2018
Replies: 11
Views: 439
More...
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Aheidt Aheidt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Exclamation High Nitrate and Phosphate

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litres. 110 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litre. 80 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
5. Are you using Ozone. No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume). Vertex Omega 180
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Phos 0.52 Nitrate 35
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Cal 380 , Alk 11.2 ,Mag 1200
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Trigger Triton 35 sump, skimmer, Monzter Zeovit Reacter, Carbon passive
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2 T5 (Coral Plus, Blue Plus, Kessil AP700 on 8 hours
12. What corals do you keep. LPS (hammer and torce) several montipora, a couple acropora, zoas (I also have large BTA, shrimp, starfish, crabs, snails, fish)
13. Tissue color (light or dark) dark
14. How long has the tank been running 2 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system control and colour health and growth of corals
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) sponge excel ,iodine ,potassium I have dosed 1 Iodine in past week, and 2 times with LPS amino acid and Pohl's xtra) One of the coral stung two others and I was trying to heal them. iodine for the shrimp
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 100 lbs of live Florida rock. for 2 months. rock has multiple clams, corals, tunicates, and sponges. All still alive.
18. Any present problems I started dosing the zeobak (4 drops) zeofood 7 (1 ml), and zeostart (1 ml) daily. Within a week the zeobak started to smell foul ( i did refrigerate) so I stopped until I could buy a new bottle. The tank started getting diatoms on the gravel and red slime on the walls. After stopping the diatoms and slime went away quickly. When the new bottle came I started again (approximately 2 weeks ago, I have 3 more days to finish first cycle). The diatoms and slime reappeared quickly so I stopped using the Zeofood, reduced the Zeobak to 3 drops and Zeostart to .5ml. Diatoms have gone and red slime is minimal. I started using 1 ml of Coral Snow for past 3 days.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.). sight red slime, corals look great except I'm worried about the PO4 and NO3
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna KH and PO4, Red Sea all others (all new)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.). see above
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity 1.025. Temp 78.2
23. Which salt brand do you use. Red Sea Pro Black Bucket

Fish - I have 2 sm tangs, 1 sm angel, 1 md butterfly, 5 sm chromis, 2 sm clowns, 1 sm wrasse. I only feed 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp a day, and a 1/4 sheet of Nori for the tangs/angel every other day. My water is 6 stag RO/DI with 0 ppm (new). I've done water changes every week between 15 gallons and 50 gallons. Last was a 50 gallon change 5 days ago. I use a ATO with kalkwasser. I use a Iwaki pump with 1100 gph running main and tapped to run the reactor. reactor has about 65-75 gph running through it. should I use a GFO reactor to reduce the PO4? A biopellet reactor or refugium to reduce the NO3? I don't know where the PO4 and NO3 are coming from with the limited amount I'm feeding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	21426  
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Probably can do this,

the water quality is recommended in kh6.5~7.5, ca 400~420, mg1250~1300,

confirm the ro/ri quality and replace the lower salt of kh. First,

start with reducing nutrients, kz base 4 bak, start3, sponge power, zeolite. 400L of water 1 liter of zeolite (1 pack) is placed in the reactor at no more than 400 liters/h per hour. The kz activated carbon is placed in a passive water stream using 0.4 liters and replaced once every 30 days.

The first 2 weeks zeo bak 4 drops 2~3 times a week. Zeo start3 0.4ml daily/night.
Adjust the skimmer to be damp.
Add water with salt. WC5~10% per week.
Observe the change of np, it should be slowly reduced, pay attention to the zeolite flow rate does not exceed 400 liters per hour, observe algae situation should slowly recede. Then prepare a potassium test kit. Let's just listen to what Alexander said.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Aheidt Aheidt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I can dose magnesium and calcium to increase them. The zeolites (1 liter) have been in the reactor 4 weeks, but I've only been dosing zeobak etc. for about 10 days. Should I replace them now anyway? Also I haven't done the 3 hours on 3 hours off because the reactor is connected to my main pump. Do I need to start over and do the 3/3 on/off? Also I forgot to mention I have 2 Marine Pure Bricks in the sump. You can see some of the corals and algae in these pictures https://www.instagram.com/p/BmI1PzBA...-by=alex.heidt
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hi I looked at the picture and felt that the problem was not serious.
Yes, after 4 weeks, the first time the zeolite was changed 90%, the nutrient salt status was changed to 7 or 8 weeks, and 4 times of zeo bak was given daily for 10 days, added after skimmer. The zeobak added to the day is not added. The zeolite can be rinsed slightly with ro/ri before use.

Zeolite 3 open 3 is used for system conversion, I don't think it is necessary to open 3 and 3 off. The current time of 4 weeks should also switch to continuous flow. Special attention needs to be paid to the reactor flow. This period is quite important and should not be too fast. In addition, activated carbon should be placed when there is a living being.

If you use live rock, the sponge power is added in the same way as zeo bak. Summary: kz base 4 balance zeolite amount & flow bak sponge power start3 morning / night skimmer adjustment more wet nutrients will be reduced, sump inside 2 xx I have no experience can not give you advice.

Remember that the current biology of tank is not very stable. Any dramatic change is a great pressure on corals. Let us build it all over time. In addition, you can add some functional algae bio-assisted and benefit from tank.

This is just my advice, I hope you still follow the advice of G.Alexander.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:20 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Alex, something is going wrong, the high PO4 level is unusual and is the first thing you need to work on. Can you tell if you had high nutrients on this system since the beginning ?

As you setup the system have you cycled it with the 14 day method described over here:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.ph...60&postcount=7

The bad smell of ZeoBac is normal and changes over the time so as long as there are no slimy patches in the bottle or any sediment the product should still be fine .

Please also post a good picture of your sump.

G.Alexander
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 AM
Aheidt Aheidt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G. Alexander,

Thank you for your reply. I just recently found this website (wish I had found it a couple months ago) and the starting methods here are slightly different than others Ive read and there seem to make more sense. I started the tank cycle (no Zeovit) with Dr. Tims bacteria, no rock, only gravel and 2 marine pure bricks in the sump. Added an ammonia source and waited for the natural cycle (about 30 days). When the live rock came in I started the Zeovit system that day. Although I followed an old method I guess using zeobak, Zeofood, and zeostart. I followed the directions from the literature I got with the reactor. I did not add as much zeobak etc. as you have in step 8, and Ive never heard of or used sponge power before. Most of the other steps I did just like you have described. I stopped using the Zeofood for a couple weeks now and the diatoms and cyano are gone. As I explained before i wound up doing a start and stop because of the zeobak smell and not wanting to foul the tank. It was cloudy and there were grey things in it so I threw it away and started again. This took about a week to get in.

Im at the two week restart and 4 week mark if the zeolites. I will change out 90% of the zeolites today, do a water change, reduce my %of kalwasser in my ATO. And Ill follow the directions you provided. Ill post what the PO4 is a few hours after the change. I will get some sponge power (it will take a few days to come it)

Feeding is only 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp daily and some nori algae every other day.

I am at a loss of what else to do. I have a GFO reactor I can put on to reduce the PO4 if you recommend it, even for short time.ive attached my sump.

The protein skimmer is in the first section of the sump followed by the Zeovit reactor. The carbon is on a shelf for passive flow threw it before the main pump.
Second picture shows the main pump, plumbing and electronics mounted outside of the tank stand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80520124-47E3-4D98-B901-1C392FDCBE98.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	21437   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD21DAB6-DCE3-4C9D-9BB9-DF8F1E9C362A.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	21438  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Poor quality carbon has phosphorus problems and what kind of carbon you use. The kz system is usually in the sump. It only needs one skimmer. The rest can't be added. It even causes unnecessary conditional conflicts. For example: uv germicidal lamp Live sand. [ Feeding only 1 cubic meter of frozen prawn per day. Feeding some seaweed a day] This may also lead to high nutrient levels. In addition to the remaining uncertainties recommended by kz, try to remove them to reduce the uncertainty.

Zeolite bacteria Carbon source ->skimmer, I believe there will be good results, good things, tank time

Last edited by jacky; 08-07-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Aheidt Aheidt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I did a 30 gallon water change. Changed the 90% of the zeolite rocks. Added 3 drops of zeobak. .4 ml zeostart. I do not have sponge power but I have ordered it. I’ve increased skimmer to run wet. I’m using the recommended carbon and dose. It’s is a bag on a shelf before the main pump.

PO4 is at .36
NO3 is still around 30
KH is still high around 12. I’m changing the kalkwasser ATO to just RODI till it drops.

As shown in the sump pic I only have the skimmer and Zeovit reactor in the sump.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Thank you for the additional information and the pictures. The Alk level is much to high, I would recommend to let it slowly drop to 7.5 keeping it there as stabile as possible. The level should be in the range of 6.5 – 7.5. This will not cause any issues and is close to the natural level in the ocean.

As you ordered SpongePower it would additional be good t BioMate. It does have a positive effect to the PO4 level also. You can dose it @ 6 drops daily for 10 days, than the same quantity every other day if the Po4 level starts to decrease. BioMate is just a recommendation which will support the process, might speed up things a little bit.

ZeoFood does contain also nourishing elements for the corals. As long as nutrients are that high it is not necessary to feed to coral additional and you will experience what you already did, algae or cyanos or any kind of other film. It can be used late once if the system runs nutrient poor stabile.

I would not use PO4 absorbers at this stage, lets see what does happen with nutrients in the next couple of weeks.

NO3 is high also but basically this is not really a problem. The level will come down over the time.

If you still have the marine pure blocks running I would recommend to remove them step by step.

After the ZeoVit exchange continue dosing as follows:

ZeoBac – 3 drops daily for 10 days, than 3 drops 3 x weekly
ZeoStart – 0.3 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower – 3 drops daily for 2 weeks, than 3 drops every other day
BioMate – 6 drops daily for 10 days, than 6 drops every other day for some time

Run 0.75 liters ZeoVit with a flow of 80 US gallons per hour through the reactor continuous flow. Additional use 0.3 liters korallenzucht carbon passive flown in the sump.

It will take some time until nutrients are low stabile so you will need some patience. At the moment I would not add more fish.

Using kalkwasser is not optimal also:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.ph...34&postcount=5

My recommendation is using a supplement for Alk and Ca which does not contain additional trace elements or a CaCO2 reactor.

G.Alexander
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Aheidt Aheidt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you for all the information. I have ordered the spong power and biomate. I will follow your dosing recommendation. I will switch over to 2 part once the dkh drops. I’ll continue weekly water changes until the parameters level out.

Thanks again,

Alex