zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 35% OFF Salifert, 30% OFF Rossmont, 10% OFF Bashsea & more!
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 3
0 Phosphate Issue
Last Post: rchavez
Replies: 10
Views: 198
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 139
Views: 10,191
0 180 Convert to Zeo from Turf Scrubber
Last Post: gguertin145
Replies: 27
Views: 593
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 29
Views: 647
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 22
Views: 824
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Replies: 52
Views: 1,716
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Replies: 7
Views: 172
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 969
0 Mein Deltariff...
Last Post: chrima78
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 62
Views: 4,464
More...

Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default High Phosphates

I've had our tank up and running now for around 4-5 months which I started with Zeo Day One. Recently we added some new inhabitants (2 large triggers and a Powder Blue Tang) and I've noticed that we' I'm constantly having to scape the glass and siphon the sand bed to keep it clean (glass is covered with GHA and sand with brown diatoms). In addition, I noticed it peaked about a week ago on Saturday which is when I swapped out my Zeo Rocks. I've been testing the Nitrate and Phosphate the past few days - initially thinking I was overfeeding with the new additions - but even after a 10% water change last night, it's actually gone up ! Currently Nitrates sit at 4.0 ppm and Phosphate at .08 or .11 ppm depending on the test kit (Hanna Checker and Red Sea respectively).

So this is a long way of saying, is it common/normal for phosphates and/or nitrates to rise after swapping the Zeo Rocks until the bacteria population grows once more? Note: I did keep about 1/3 of the rocks in the reactor per guidance, so I only replaced 2/3 with fresh stones. I've also been doing ZeoBak daily and will continue for the 10 days.

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	20294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	20295  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Also if the dosing regime is relevant -

Monday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
Coral Vitalizer 12 drops
AcroPower 80ml
Pump Zeolite Media 5 times

Tuesday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
ZEObak 16 drops
Pohl’s Xtra 12ml

Wednesday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
Coral Vitalizer 12 drops

Thursday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
ZEObak 16 drops
AcroPower 80ml
Pohl’s Xtra 12ml

Friday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
Coral Vitalizer 12 drops

Saturday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
Pohl’s Xtra 12ml

Sunday
ZEOstart 3ml
Sponge Power 16 drops
Amino Acids 16 drops
Coral Vitalizer 12 drops
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Please tell us some more details about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Also how much ZeoVit material you use exactly and what the zeovit reactor flow is (measured).

G.Alexander
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Please tell us some more details about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Also how much ZeoVit material you use exactly and what the zeovit reactor flow is (measured).

G.Alexander

Using 3L of ZeoVit rocks and it's in one of the KZ 4L reactors. The feed pump is 1000 lph or around 265 gah.

As for your longer list

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - ~400 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - Not sure
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - 2 Part Dosing
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV - No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Reef Octopus 300INT rated for up to 450 gallons in a "well stocked tank"
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - Nitrates are at 4 ppm , Phosphate is either .08 or .11 ppm depending on which test kit you trust (see first post)
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Ca is 380ppm (low I know!), Alk 7.4dKh, Mag I haven't tested in a while honestly
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Fuge
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - 3x EcoTech Radion XR30 Gen 4
12. What corals do you keep - Mixed reef but mainly SPS with a large portion of that being Acros
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - Medium?
14. How long has the tank been running - 4-5 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - N/A
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - Full dosing regime included in Post 2
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - ~200 lbs, all live
18. Any present problems - High Phosphate
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - See Post 1
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - Mix of Red Sea or Hanna depending on test
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - See Post 2
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - Salinity - 1.025 SG, Temp - 78 - 79 F, pH - 7.8 - 8
23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea Blue Bucket
Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 PM
ZEOadmin

Thank you for the additional information. The reactor flow is a little bit low, would be better to increase it to 1200 liters per hour. I would additional recommend to skim wet for some time while cleaning the skimmer daily to export as much as possible. I would also be helpful to vacuum the sand for some time while each water change to remove the mulm from the deeper sand layers.

Lets do some smaller changes to your dosing regimen:

ZeoBac 12 drops every other day
ZeoStart 1.2 ml 2 x daily
SpngePower 12 drops daily

Lets stop do dose the other elements at the moment.

BioMate might be a good addition to your dosing regimen also, 24 drops every other day.

Than lets see if the PO4 level slowly comes down over the next couple of weeks.

G.Alexander
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Thank you for the additional information. The reactor flow is a little bit low, would be better to increase it to 1200 liters per hour. I would additional recommend to skim wet for some time while cleaning the skimmer daily to export as much as possible. I would also be helpful to vacuum the sand for some time while each water change to remove the mulm from the deeper sand layers.

Lets do some smaller changes to your dosing regimen:

ZeoBac 12 drops every other day
ZeoStart 1.2 ml 2 x daily
SpngePower 12 drops daily

Lets stop do dose the other elements at the moment.

BioMate might be a good addition to your dosing regimen also, 24 drops every other day.

Than lets see if the PO4 level slowly comes down over the next couple of weeks.

G.Alexander
The reactor feed pump unfortunately isn’t adjustable (it’s the one that KZ bundled with the 4L reactor) and I did adjust to skim a bit wetter hoping that will help. I’ve been out of town the past few days so my wife has just continued the previous regime and it’s gotten worse - I still need to retest everything this evening. That said, I order some Biomate which will be here tommorrow and I’ll adjust the dosing to what you recommended tonight.

Out of curiosity though, would changing the Zeomedia alone cause this? i haven’t changed the dosing, lights, or pumps recently and have been keeping up with the water changes. it just seems a little odd this would onset so quickly but maybe I’m overlooking something...
Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

So I just tested and Phosphate went up, now sitting at 0.16 ppm via Ted Sea Phosphate Pro test Kit should I try putting something in temporarily - such as GFO or ChemiPure - to bring it back in range?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 AM
ZEOadmin

You can dose BioMate @ 24 drops every other day for some time.

Usually nutrients should not really increase after a stone exchange so I fear there is something different causing it.

Having ~ 1200 liters per hour as reactor flow might be helpful also, please also try to measure the flow by collecting the water from the outlet for 30 seconds and multiply its volume by 120 as the material does speed down the flow massive.

G.Alexander
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Got the biomate in today and will start dosing tonight with the reduced group of bottles to see what happens. I have another 10% water change planned for this weekend with a sand siphon, so hopefully that combo should start the trend back the other way.

On a side note, what’s the reasoning behind dosing the ZeoBak twice a day vs. at once? I’ve been dosing it once a day with the other stuff, so wonder if maybe that could be adding to the problem?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM
ZEOadmin

The idea of splitting to dosage is to provide food for bacterial more balanced but I do not think that is the real reason for you PO4 problem. You can also split the dosage more often, lets say 4 x daily.

G.Alexander
Old 11-05-2017, 06:54 PM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

So I'm a little over a week with the revised regime (and two additional 10% water changes) and Phosphate continues to rise (now at 0.36ppm vs 0.16ppm). I've also noticed the Nitrates have gone up from the last test and are now at 16ppm. I'm starting to lose some of healthiest SPS colonies I have, I'm at a loss for what to do. I've cut feeding by at least half and nothing seems to be reversing the course. Should I implement chemipure / GFO / or something similar until we get to the bottom of this?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Have you checked the tank for dead snails
I'd use GFO if it was me
Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 AM
ZEOadmin

The system is 4 or 5 moth old and you use ZeoVit on it since the start of the system ?

Have you had those nutrient issues before also or does that stated recently ?

G.Alexander
Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 AM
joro joro 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Have you checked the tank for dead snails
I'd use GFO if it was me
I can't find any dead snails visibly but think that between the hermits/emerald crabs/triggers they would have gotten eaten if they were upside down or such.

Quote:
The system is 4 or 5 moth old and you use ZeoVit on it since the start of the system ?

Have you had those nutrient issues before also or does that stated recently
Yes I started the tank with ZeoVit from day one and the issues just recently started about 3-4 weeks ago at this point. That's why it's perplexing to me why all of the sudden it would seem as if the systems isn't doing the core of reducing nitrates and/or phosphates.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Lets face it the problem started when you introduced the triggers and the tang. I think you might have to let them go and take them back to the petstore or upgrade the system.