zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
1 New to zeovit - Brazil
Last Post: Carrico
Posted On: Today
Replies: 8
Views: 452
0 Which iodine supplement?
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 2
Views: 178
0 Zevoit Neuling braucht Hilfe
Last Post: Max0801
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Wechsel auf Zeovit - Werte zu hoch
Replies: 26
Views: 1,833
0 New Zeovit Tank Start~
Replies: 15
Views: 539
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Last Post: JMac
Replies: 119
Views: 5,494
0 Fauna Marin zeo-Matic reactor
Last Post: Craig the plumber
Replies: 8
Views: 424
0 Trying to lower Phosphate
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 23
Views: 516
0 Finally ready to start :)
Last Post: jackass
Replies: 106
Views: 6,647
0 NEW GIVEAWAY Hanna Checker High Range Copper
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 39
More...
Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Jennyfishorini Jennyfishorini 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Question Ditch the chaeto?

Hello reefers~
I am planning to convert to ZEOvit and waiting for my products to arrive. Am I correct in thinking I will no longer need chaeto in my refugium once I am on the zeovit system? If so do I ditch it as soon as I set up the reactor or do I wait for some time of being established? Also, can I then stop lighting my fuge at night or will the beneficial bacteria in the reactor or on the rock in my fuge need light? And any other tips for converting my two year old tank (75 gallon with fish and softies and live rock with lots of algae and dinoflagellates) would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

Hi Jenny can you fill out this to start

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
12. What corals do you keep
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any present problems
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use

I would start over and follow the zeovit guide. Your algae wont just go away because you start using zeovit sorry

which products do you have coming
Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Bugger- Thanks so much for your response. I am taking over this tank from my husband who got too busy for it. Water changes got neglected over the past 3-6 months and nitrates went crazy high, killing most of the clean up crew and we were slowly losing coral and fish. I am taking over and I have done 7 water changes of 12 gallons each over the past 3 weeks. I scrub algae and dinos off the rock and suck them out as much as I can with each water change. We have had the tank for over two years but I am new to managing it so I am learning the hobby while trying to remediate this dirty tank. I have watched many of the BRS 160 videos trying to learn what I need to know.

After researching various methods for managing the tank I have decided to go with ZEOvit because I like that there is a clearly prescribed plan and I need some clear directions at this point. Also, the chaeto has never really thrived in our refugium in spite of a good Kessel light, so I like the idea of replacing that with the ZEO system.
My answers below might be pretty weak but I hope it will show you where the weaknesses are in my approach so you can point out the most important areas for me at address.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
100 gallon total volume
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
I have lots of rock but not sure how to calculate the number to subtract from the gross volume
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
no
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
no
5. Are you using Ozone
no
6. Are you using UV
no
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
AquaMaxx cone. 90-175gallon
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
NO3 is just over 10. PO4 I have not checked.
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
have not checked
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
refugium with chaeto, lots of live rock in the tank, sucked out the miracle mud a couple of months ago
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
Reef Breeder LED. about a year old. I don't know how to manipulate the settings yet.
12. What corals do you keep
most of them died in the last 6 months. currently 3 rose anenome, one small hammer, one kenya tree, a leather, an orange sun coral, pulsing xenia, duncan coral.
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
the leather is dark, the others are light to normal
14. How long has the tank been running
2 years
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
lost a lot of coral, some fish, all of the shrimp, all of the brittle stars, most of the crabs, and most of the snails. battling algae and dinos.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
Vibrant to try to control the algae
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
tank is pretty much full of rock, 2 years old and well established with lots of coraline
18. Any present problems
as above - livestock loss and algae and dinos overtaking rock.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
algae and dinos are pervasive, chaeto have never really thrived. tank got neglected a few months back and we lost most of the cleanup crew including pods and brittle stars. I added back some pods a couple months ago but I'm not sure they survived.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Seifert, not expired
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
haven't started ZEO yet
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
temp 78, 1.025,
23. Which salt brand do you use
Fritz

I ordered the four part starter pack, a vibe reactor and pump, charcoal and sack to put it in.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

Jenny how did you get nitrates so high? When you feed are you just dumping copious amounts of food into the tank or was the tank over stocked? what amount of cubes and seaweed do you feed?
What kinds of fish remain in the tank right now.
Nitrates can't really kill fish but ammonia can.

Have you tried blacking out the tank for three days to get the dinos under control?

DO you ever go threw the tank with a powerhead to stir up detritus?

start with 1000 ml stones on off on a timer 3 hours on /off
0.7 ml start 3 per day
One-time special start quantity
of 5 ml / 100 L after sand bed
and live rock are in the system. 2
days dosing break. Then common
and long-term usage according
to the product label of
1 drop / 100 L 1 – 2 times a
week.
For 1 week each
month: 6 drops / 100
L / day. Then (the
other 3 weeks of
each month) 2 drops
/ 100 L 3 times a
week.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:46 PM
ZEOhead in Training

The tank was being way over fed. It was getting one cube plus one cut up shrimp from the grocery store each day. I have reduced that to one or sometimes only one half cube. If I cut up a shrimp I make it last a few days. I have instructed everyone else in the house who might feed the tank about the new feeding regimen.

It’s not overstocked. One clown, one yellow tang, one blue Dory, a cardinal, and one convict goby. Lost a clown and a diamond back goby. The existing fish look healthy.

I expect that when the tank was over fed and not getting water changes the ammonia went up as well as the nitrates but I didn’t know how to test that one at the time so I don’t have any documentation of it.

I have not done the official black out but I turned the lights off for three days and that made a huge improvement on the Dino’s. The rocks are looking much better with my scrubbing and water changes but there are still some very funky corners full of detritus that I will have to move rocks to get to in order to vacuum those. I was planning to move about 25-30% of my rock to the sump after I get rid of the chaeto and reorganizing the remaining rock to minimize these inaccessible detritus traps. I had not considered just blasting those with a powerhead as I wanted to suck it out instead of spreading it around but now that you say it I see that spreading it around be better than leaving it in there until I could suck it out next week.
Thank you for your dosing recommendations. I will definitely use those.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:54 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Jenny, additional to Buggers advises some further information for the start of ZeoVit on your system:

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 0.8 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 80 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.3 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 3 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 3 drops. Dose 0.3 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Keep basic water parameters as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

If the chaeto algae do stop growing it is the best time to remove them, I would not do this with the start of ZeoVit.

If there is still a lot of detritus in the system it might be good to vacuum the sand and the affected areas while each water change for some time.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander