zeovit.com Premium Aquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Need assistance in how to use Zeovit Products
Last Post: CanReef
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 103
0 75gal Tank zeovit
Last Post: nt7561
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 40
Views: 686
0 200 gallon switch to Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 79
Views: 4,420
0 A restart
Replies: 89
Views: 6,836
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 140
Views: 10,886
0 Newbie 5 Months Tank ( Malaysia,Borneo )
Replies: 1
Views: 40
0 GIVEAWAY: Reefsmart Aquadomes Review
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 155
0 NEW GIVEAWAY: NYOS liquid Foods Review
Views: 203
0 NEW GIVEAWAY: Santa Monica Filtration HOG1 Algae Scrubber
Views: 276
0 Coral nutrition
Last Post: Ghiaccio1o
Replies: 6
Views: 162
More...

Old 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The tank is a year old. I switched to Zeo 3.5 weeks ago. Yes I followed the 2 week dosing daily and switched to 3x per week after the first two weeks. The flow through my zeo reactor was incorrect but hasn't seemed to affect the corals. That has been adjusted.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Can you answer my earlier questions?
How old is the system?
How long you been in zeovit?
Did you use zeovit from the start of the system?
Have you used any live rocks? Even when you start with dry rocks you better seed some live rocks something like 10% live rocks to help speed up the proccess
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 AM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Can you answer my earlier questions?
How old is the system? 1 year old
How long you been in zeovit? 3.5 weeks
Did you use zeovit from the start of the system? No
Have you used any live rocks? Even when you start with dry rocks you better seed some live rocks something like 10% live rocks to help speed up the proccess
No, I began the tank with dry rock and live sand one year ago.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Ok got it, when you started zeo did you follow the 14 daus cycle with reactor 3 hours on 3 hours off?
Your tank is still young from zeo stand point. You need to be patient and follow the program till you get ulns.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

No I ran it 24/7. I have since corrected that to 3 hours on and off. I was also running the zeo reactor with 220 ggh which has since been reduced to 100 gph.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:57 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

ok got it, I can tell you from now you are overdosing and propably that's why you have the spike, if you can help me with clarity on the following questions I will try to help you along with the rest of community here. answer the following please:

1- actual water volume (sump+tank-rocks)
2- whats your dosing exactly now(zeo and none zeo)? including how much rocks in your zeo reactor and reactor flow
4- how old is the current zeolite in your reactor? when did you change it last and how much did you change?
3- do you use any GFO? have you used to have GFO before the zeo start?
4- do you use carbon now? what kind you use now and in the past
5- your system load (fish), and your feeding schedule and habits
6- whats your salt?
7- whats your parameters now (po4,no3,CA,Alk,Mag,K, Salinity, Temp)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
ok got it, I can tell you from now you are overdosing and propably that's why you have the spike, if you can help me with clarity on the following questions I will try to help you along with the rest of community here. answer the following please:

1- actual water volume (sump+tank-rocks) 100 gallons
2- whats your dosing exactly now(zeo and none zeo)? including how much rocks in your zeo reactor and reactor flow 1 liter rocks in reactor. 100 gallon flow in reactor. 4 drops ZeoBac every 3 days and .8 ml of ZeoStart daily. Per Alex's post earlier I have stopped dosing ZeoFood.
4- how old is the current zeolite in your reactor? when did you change it last and how much did you change? Zeolite is 3.5 weeks old. Plan to change out 50% of it at the 4 week mark.
3- do you use any GFO? have you used to have GFO before the zeo start?No I am not using GFO. I used to use granular GFO off and on as needed.
4- do you use carbon now? what kind you use now and in the past Yes I am using Korallen-Zucht carbon .25 liters in a reactor. It has been in the reactor for 3.5 weeks. (I realize now it should have been changed at 3 weeks.) I used to use ROX 0.8 carbon off and on.
5- your system load (fish), and your feeding schedule and habits

2 clownfish
1 Mandarin
1 Royal Gramma
1 Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
1 Six line Wrasse
3 Chromis

1/8 teaspoon mixture of Seaweed extreme pellets, New Life Spectrum, Selcon and garlic.
1/4 cube Mysis Shrimp
1/4 cube Calanus
1/4 Spirulina Brine
1/4 cube Reef Frenzy

All that is fed once a day.

6- whats your salt? Red Sea blue bucket.
7- whats your parameters now (po4,no3,CA,Alk,Mag,K, Salinity, Temp)
po4: 0.006 ppm (Hanna ULR checker)
no3 10 ppm(Red Sea kit)
Mag 1320 ppm (Red Sea kit)
CA 425 ppm (Red Sea kit)
ALK 7.8
K (waiting on test kit to arrive)
Salinity 1.026 @ 77 F
Temp 78.3
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Hi Karo25 when you feed do you allow food to go all over the place because I just feed what the fish eats and no more I have no problems with excess no3
Old 03-07-2018, 02:15 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The pellets are target fed. I always make sure none of those hit the sand. But the rest is released into the water without flow for 5 minutes allowing the fish and shrimp to eat the majority of it. The zoas capture some when when the flow is turned back on.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo25 View Post
po4: 0.006 ppm (Hanna ULR checker)
no3 10 ppm(Red Sea kit)
Mag 1320 ppm (Red Sea kit)
CA 425 ppm (Red Sea kit)
ALK 7.8
K (waiting on test kit to arrive)
Salinity 1.026 @ 77 F
Temp 78.3
on your PO4 results if you have used Hanna ULR the reading should be in ppb..so when you say 0.006ppm is that you converting the Hannah results to ppm? please confirm the results to us

your parameters are not bad at all, we will just work on establishing the zeo system
thank you for the information's. am still not clear if you have used the 14 days cycle. also

my following suggestions is assuming you have used the 14 days cycle, if not let me know we will need to change:
since your system is 100G you will need to have the following dosing:
- Zeolite 1l, flow 100GPH
- Daily ZS 0.5ml twice a day. higher than this will increase your NO3, lower than this will increase your PO4. so monitor both NO3 and PO4 closely for the coming couple of weeks so we adjust accordingly
- SP daily 5 drops
- ZB 5 drops every other day for the coming or 3 times a week, how you choose which is by monitoring NO3, when NO3 increase slightly you can treat it by increasing ZB to ever other day as long as you do not have brown film on your water surface especially in the sump which is the sign of ZB overdose.
- carbon use as directed on the package if you will use passive, if active (inside reactor) use half. I like passive way because I can shake the carbon bag every other day to clean it but its up to you. do not use Rox its too aggressive and will strip the water from other useful elements
- Zeolites(rocks)
for the coming 3 months, if you feel your load is heavy, change the rocks every 4 weeks, this coming change do 50% only then you always change 90% and keep 10&. when you change the rocks, a good practice is to leave the water inside the reactor do not dump it out, then change 90% of the rocks and put the reactor back in the system. reason for that is: water inside the reactor is bacteria heavy and will help re establish and populate the bacteria when you put in new rocks. also good practice is to have the new rocks soaked in RODI water for 24 hours before you use it in the reactor.
- lets not dose any other additives (ZF,AA,Xtra,AB,BB..etc) until we see the system stable in term of po4/no3. you will not need these elements until your system consume the available nutrients any way.,
bring down your alk to be 7~7.5 no more, and check alk daily, and I mean daily for the coming couple of months to understand your system trend. you will be surprised, you will see some days your system do not consume alk and cal, so if you have a fixed alk dosing you will have swing in the alk every now and then and alk swing is the biggest enemy for coral health.

post some pics of your system and some clear pics of the coral in the system so we understand the health and look of your coral.
post your parameters (alk,cal,no3,po4,k) frequently so we audit with you and help adjust things if need be.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Correct, I converted the reading of the ULR to ppm so when I checked it yesterday the screen read 2 ppb.

I began Zeovit 3.5 weeks ago by placing 1 liter of zeovit in the reactor. It ran wide open 24 hrs a day for the first 3 weeks. So 220 gph through the reactor. I have since changed that flow to 100 gph but still running it 24 hrs a day.

I dosed 4 drops of Zeobac daily for 14 days then switched to 4 drops Monday, Wednesday and Friday which is what I'm still dosing.

I dosed 4 drops of ZeoFood the same as Zeobac. Then stopped dosing this 5 days ago.

I have dosed .8 ml of ZeoStart once a day every day and continue to do so.

I don't currently dose alk, cal and/or mag as my system doesn't use it much yet and I don't have any SP yet, it's on order. I'll get some pictures posted over the next few days and post my parameters periodically.

Thank you for all your help!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:50 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

did you follow the dosing of the 14 days cycle or not? the dosing described is for past the 14 days cycle, that's whyt I keep asking you if you have followed the 14 days dosing cycle
please take a look at this link and see alex guidance titled "Initial 14 day cycle by Korallenzucht" :
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10354
Old 03-07-2018, 06:05 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
did you follow the dosing of the 14 days cycle or not? the dosing described is for past the 14 days cycle, that's whyt I keep asking you if you have followed the 14 days dosing cycle
please take a look at this link and see alex guidance titled "Initial 14 day cycle by Korallenzucht" :
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10354
Yes I followed the 14 day cycle however I made the mistake of running my reactor all the time with more flow than was required.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:08 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

if the only mistake is water flow that's ok, my concern was the dosing.
you start with larger quantity on day 1, then break day 2/3 then you start normal dosing on day 4.
ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons
Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I did not use Sponge Power as it was not listed as one of the basic four.

Only Zeolite, ZeoBac, ZeoFood and ZeoStart are listed in that basic four.

I followed the PDF guide on the Bulk Reef Supply under the ZeoVit Magnetic Reactor put out by Korallen-Zucht.

I used the dosing for "B) Amount to be used in tanks with high nutrient load and in tanks using
ZEOvit for the first time (already stocked):" since my tank is already stocked with fish and coral.

I followed that method to the letter except for having too much flow. That method does not call for a larger initial dose as far as I can tell.

Last edited by karo25; 03-07-2018 at 06:26 PM.