zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 A restart
Last Post: blackizzz
Posted On: Today
Replies: 176
Views: 16,299
5 green algae outbreak
Last Post: Gnarkill
Replies: 36
Views: 856
0 changing to full zeo,need some advice and help
Last Post: wangsz
Replies: 23
Views: 392
0 New tank Elos 160 XL
Last Post: Zuboov's
Replies: 20
Views: 1,371
0 Zeo Product Dosing
Last Post: scybulski
Replies: 2
Views: 116
0 100g SPS Tank
Last Post: AG Reefer
Replies: 94
Views: 6,851
0 New ZeoVit tank
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 40
Views: 2,002
0 GIVEAWAY: Reef Brite Live Rock Enhance & Reef Enhance
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 136
0 Farbgebung verbessern
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 219
0 GIVEAWAY: NEW! Kessil A360X and Spectral Controller X
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 12-09-2018
Replies: 0
Views: 68
More...
Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 AM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Default High Nutrients with Zeovit

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 378 US gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 378 US Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique CA Reactor
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) NO
5. Are you using Ozone NO
6. Are you using UV NO
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Bubble King Deluxe 250
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4 .26,
NO3: 50

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca: 415,
Alk: 8 dkh, MG: 1335

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Vibe Zeovit Reactor
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2 x 48"
ATI Hybrid PM

12. What corals do you keep SPS, LPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Somewhat dark but not too dark or brown
14. How long has the tank been running 7 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Keep nutrients in check and product colorful corals
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) zeobac: 15 drops 3 x weekly, biomate: 15 drops 3 x weekly,
start 3, 2ml daily, SP 3x weekly, Coral snow 3 x weekly

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) started with dry rock, about 200 pounds, maybe a little less.
18. Any present problems High nutrients, some slight brown algae that grows on sand daily, some GHA on rocks
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) see question 18
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Salifert, hanna, KHG for hourly alk monitoring
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) See questions 16
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) salinity 35 ppt, temp 77-78 degrees
23. Which salt brand do you use redsea blue bucket

I started zeovit about 3 weeks ago. I was originally running a Pax Bellum Arid C30 algae reactor which kept no3 at around 25 and po4 at .08. The algae never really grew much after months of use so I decided to switch to zeovit.

After switching to zeovit, I cannot keep nutriets down, they hover at no3: 50 and po4 .26. I have 3 liters of stones in the vibe and shake for 1 minute twice daily. There is about 160 GPH flowing through the vibe.

Should I increase the flow through the reactor? Increase the zeovit to 3.5 liters? When should I change the stones out? It's been almost three weeks so I was thinking of changing it on the 4th week.

What should I do to try and lower my nutrients? I only feed once a day with frozens and two sheets of nori. Fish eats all the frozens within two minutes.

I have the following zeovit products but currently do not dose the majority of it due to the high nutrients.

zeobak
zeofood
A- Balance
B- Blalance
Jod komplex
coral vitalizer
AAHC
Sponge power
Coral snow
zeozyme
AA for LPS
biomate
strontium
coral booster
flatworm stop
pohl's xtra

Any advice to reduce nutrients and dosing schedule to implement once nutrients drop would be much appreciated. Here is a pic of the current tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4028.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	20609  
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

"two sheets of nori" ha ha Those are packed full of carbs and its feeding the problem. Try only feeding one sheet and see if your numbers go down. How many tangs do you have?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:10 PM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
"two sheets of nori" ha ha Those are packed full of carbs and its feeding the problem. Try only feeding one sheet and see if your numbers go down. How many tangs do you have?

When I was feeding one sheet, nutrients were the same. Feeding two sheets didn't up the nutrients. I have 7-8 tangs, most of them med-large size. 3 Pygmy angels, lots of wrasse. There's probably 40-50 fish in the tank. The nori is gone in no time and none floats around the tank the way I fold the sheets. I'll get better pics of the tank and coral tonight.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Holy that is a lot of fish. Like you said you did not notice a change interesting have you also tried increasing biomate or bac.
I keep two damsels in a 90 I never have a problem with nutrients. I feed alot of coral food and when numbers start to elevate a little I use NO3POX4 from red sea.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Have you removed the algae filter you have used before to control nutrients already completely ?

The reactor flow is to low but to give you a recommendation I need to be sure with the total net water volume which is (tank volume + sump volume ./. ~ 20% for rocks / sand).

G.Alexander
Old 02-28-2018, 03:22 AM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Have you removed the algae filter you have used before to control nutrients already completely ?

The reactor flow is to low but to give you a recommendation I need to be sure with the total net water volume which is (tank volume + sump volume ./. ~ 20% for rocks / sand).

G.Alexander
Algae reactor has been removed. Total system volume plus sump minus rocks is exactly 378 us gallons.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 AM
MohReef MohReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

hi...just wanted to give an opinion...you said u started zeovit 3 weeks ago, this is a bacteria based system that has to populate your tank then consume the nutrients. before you were using an algae based system to export nutrients.hence i think it will take a little longer for the zeovit system to establish itself and nutrients to decrease, and the reason you see the increase in no3 and po4 is because you completely removed your algae filter and is now depending on zeovit which is probably not establish itself as yet....off topic...when i read a comment about you feeding 2 sheets of norie i had to laugh...with the amount of tangs that you have, fish have to be fed...i have a 150 and feed 2 sheets per day plus 6 times pellets and one time frozen... no im not crazy i have a moorish idol that eats all day and my nutrients are fine... no3 4ppm po4 0.06 the last time i checked 2 days ago po4 a bit high but no problems.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 PM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohReef View Post
hi...just wanted to give an opinion...you said u started zeovit 3 weeks ago, this is a bacteria based system that has to populate your tank then consume the nutrients. before you were using an algae based system to export nutrients.hence i think it will take a little longer for the zeovit system to establish itself and nutrients to decrease, and the reason you see the increase in no3 and po4 is because you completely removed your algae filter and is now depending on zeovit which is probably not establish itself as yet....off topic...when i read a comment about you feeding 2 sheets of norie i had to laugh...with the amount of tangs that you have, fish have to be fed...i have a 150 and feed 2 sheets per day plus 6 times pellets and one time frozen... no im not crazy i have a moorish idol that eats all day and my nutrients are fine... no3 4ppm po4 0.06 the last time i checked 2 days ago po4 a bit high but no problems.
Thanks for your insight. I figure it would take time for the bacteria to populate, I was just wondering what would be the best dosing schedule and how to safely go about lowering nutrients slowly. This is my second go around with zeovit on a different tank. The first time, nutrients were lowered too fast and I experienced STN/RTN, this time I am going very slowly with less than recommended zeo stones and flow thru reactor.

Yeah, the fish are pigs and 2 sheets of nori is nothing for them. I also have an auto feeder to feed pellets when I am at work. They get a variety of frozens when I am home. A well fed fish "should" leave your corals alone.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:03 AM
ZEOadmin

I see it like MohReef, three weeks is just to short to expect a nutrient reduction plus the remove of the algae filter which has controlled your nutrients before all at once while starting with ZeoVit.

Basically for your system size I would continue as follows:

ZeoVit – 3.5 liters, water flow ~ 380 US gallons per hour – 3 hour on / off interval for the first 4 – 6 weeks.

ZeoBac – 14 drops 2 – 3 x weekly
ZeoStart – 1.4 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower – 14 drops every other day
BioMate – 14 drops every other day for 2 weeks, than 2 x weekly

Make sure to monitor nutrients while doing the changes and if they do decrease to quick reduce the water flow through the ZeoVit reactor. Alternatively you can also start with a lower flow and increase it slowly step by step.

Please also keep the K+ level ~ 380 mg.

G.Alexander
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 AM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I see it like MohReef, three weeks is just to short to expect a nutrient reduction plus the remove of the algae filter which has controlled your nutrients before all at once while starting with ZeoVit.

Basically for your system size I would continue as follows:

ZeoVit 3.5 liters, water flow ~ 380 US gallons per hour 3 hour on / off interval for the first 4 6 weeks.

ZeoBac 14 drops 2 3 x weekly
ZeoStart 1.4 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower 14 drops every other day
BioMate 14 drops every other day for 2 weeks, than 2 x weekly

Make sure to monitor nutrients while doing the changes and if they do decrease to quick reduce the water flow through the ZeoVit reactor. Alternatively you can also start with a lower flow and increase it slowly step by step.

Please also keep the K+ level ~ 380 mg.

G.Alexander
I like to start slow and work my way up. The first time I tried zeovit 4-5 years ago, I experienced stn/rtn from too fast nutrient reduction. I have increased start dosage to 1.4 ml 2x daily and will following your dosing advice.

Is it really necessary to soak the zeovit for 1 day in RODI after rinsing? When I set up the reactor, I only rinsed the zeovit and put in the reactor.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:30 AM
ZEOadmin

If you some kind of a brown dust on your sand or rocks after adding the fresh material and if you like to prevent it soaking can help., otherwise just rinse the material to remove the fine dust from the transport.

G.Alexander
Old 03-03-2018, 05:25 AM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

I know believe that brown dust on my sand is dinos. What a nightmare, this will be my third bout with dinos in the 7 months this tank has been up. I'm going to assume that my dry rock is to blame as I've never had such an issue in my previous tanks using live rock. I started this tank with dry pukani rocks and have had nothing but algae, cyano and dinos problems.

Is there anything I can do to combat dinos with zeovit or do I just pray to the reef gods that this problem will go away?!?!?!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:52 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Best cure i have seen for dino was Dnio x, the only problem is that its nit available in usa. I had to order it from Europe.
Before you start treatment are you sure its dino? Did you check under microscope?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

The pain of using dry rocks with zeosystem is the leaching of po4. Zeovit is weak against cyano in my openion. So you need to be patient, trust me on that.
Make sure you know what you treating before treatment. Cyano treatment will be diffrent than dino diffrent than diatom.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:15 PM
65GMe 65GMe 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Best cure i have seen for dino was Dnio x, the only problem is that its nit available in usa. I had to order it from Europe.
Before you start treatment are you sure its dino? Did you check under microscope?
I used dino-x before. It is available in the USA, I believe brs sells it along with a couple other vendors. It worked well but now I have clams and a starfish which they state is not safe for them. It also came back after a couple months. I haven't checked but it's starting to get a bit stringy, not snotty like yet and no bubbles so I'm hoping it's just diatoms from me stirring the sand bed.