zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 One year with Zeovit
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 37
Views: 5,824
0 Zevoit Neuling braucht Hilfe
Replies: 6
Views: 166
0 New Zeovit Tank Start~
Replies: 19
Views: 662
0 full KZ reef (new)
Last Post: Michal
Replies: 9
Views: 402
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 121
Views: 5,614
0 Trying to lower Phosphate
Replies: 27
Views: 666
0 Wechsel auf Zeovit - Werte zu hoch
Replies: 27
Views: 1,964
1 New to zeovit - Brazil
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 9
Views: 507
0 Which iodine supplement?
Replies: 2
Views: 231
0 Fauna Marin zeo-Matic reactor
Last Post: Craig the plumber
Replies: 8
Views: 443
More...

Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Ok will give it another try and thank you for the help. I will pull all of this information together tomorrow as best as I can. Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Also let me know what salt you using
Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Also let me know what salt you using
AquaForest Reef Salt - Page 12 of the attached Document has the breakdown

http://aquaforest.eu/wp-content/uplo...ide_EN_RGB.pdf

Last edited by scybulski; 01-18-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 AM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scybulski View Post
AquaForest Reef Salt - Page 12 of the attached Document has the breakdown

http://aquaforest.eu/wp-content/uplo...ide_EN_RGB.pdf

Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
been there my friend. here is what I will tell you, moving out of zeo will be as painful as fixing the issues you have now.
I have tried almost all systems (red sea system&Nopox, viniger, funa marine, triton(ish)) over the last 10 years of reefing and been trying zeovit for the last 2 years. I can tell you that once the system is dialed in zeovit is great system. one of the problems I have seen (myself included) is following every single advice or solution in a thread. not that people will give bad advices rather people describe their experience with their tanks, and every tank is different. even zeovit say so very openly. this can lead a zeo-user in distress to try too many things in short time and end up messing things up more
if you like I can help you along with the community here to dial in your system and fix the issues but you have to be ready for 2 things:
1- patience, one big enemy for zeovit is sudden changes. trust me on this
2- when you read something you have to look at it from your tank lens and try to ask yourself would this solution be suitable for your tank or not. basically be more informed before you commit to a change.

if you like to give it another try we will be with you alone the line.
to start here is what I think (with very limited information's) about your system is going on.
1- high alk, low cal and Mag is early treatable. your salt might be the problem, high alk is commonly associated with salt.
2- your hair algae might indicate your PO4 and NO3 are out of balance
3- as for the cyano, I personally believe that zeovit system is prone and weak against cyano, and personally think cyano clean will not fix cyano. no zeo product have fixed cyano for me (I battled it for a year). I think these products are more to prevent cyano than to treat it. but cyano can be treated outside zeo products, I did it and things went well.
4- we need to work on having your parameters in balance to do so I will need more information's. once this happen along with fixing 1,2 and 3 you will be surprised how well your system will be.

now, if you are up to it we need the following (I will avoid asking you too many questions and focus on the basics)

1- whats your actual total water volume(sump, tank)?
2- what are you dosing (zeostones, zeostart,zeobak, other zeo products you currently using, alk/cal/mag)?
3- what equipment you have in the system(skimmer, pumps, power head..etc)?
4- whats your parameters (PO4,NO3, Alk, Cal, Mag, K, salinity)
5- whats your light(type and photo period)?
6- what test kits you are using and how old are they (the most important thing is the accuracy of the tests to work from)
7- how old is the system and how long you been on zeovit?
8- did you use live rocks or dead? same for the sand?

your call.
been there my friend. here is what I will tell you, moving out of zeo will be as painful as fixing the issues you have now.
I have tried almost all systems (red sea system&Nopox, viniger, funa marine, triton(ish)) over the last 10 years of reefing and been trying zeovit for the last 2 years. I can tell you that once the system is dialed in zeovit is great system. one of the problems I have seen (myself included) is following every single advice or solution in a thread. not that people will give bad advices rather people describe their experience with their tanks, and every tank is different. even zeovit say so very openly. this can lead a zeo-user in distress to try too many things in short time and end up messing things up more
if you like I can help you along with the community here to dial in your system and fix the issues but you have to be ready for 2 things:
1- patience, one big enemy for zeovit is sudden changes. trust me on this
2- when you read something you have to look at it from your tank lens and try to ask yourself would this solution be suitable for your tank or not. basically be more informed before you commit to a change.

if you like to give it another try we will be with you alone the line.
to start here is what I think (with very limited information's) about your system is going on.
1- high alk, low cal and Mag is early treatable. your salt might be the problem, high alk is commonly associated with salt.
2- your hair algae might indicate your PO4 and NO3 are out of balance
3- as for the cyano, I personally believe that zeovit system is prone and weak against cyano, and personally think cyano clean will not fix cyano. no zeo product have fixed cyano for me (I battled it for a year). I think these products are more to prevent cyano than to treat it. but cyano can be treated outside zeo products, I did it and things went well.
4- we need to work on having your parameters in balance to do so I will need more information's. once this happen along with fixing 1,2 and 3 you will be surprised how well your system will be.

now, if you are up to it we need the following (I will avoid asking you too many questions and focus on the basics)

1- whats your actual total water volume(sump, tank)?
Tank = 90 Gallon RR Tank
Sump = think about 20 gallons = ESHOPPS REFUGIUM R 200
o http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/refugium/r200/

2- what are you dosing (zeostones, zeostart,zeobak, other zeo products you currently using, alk/cal/mag)?
Currently running 2 dosers = Full Pacific Sun systems with mixers, etc.
Zeostones = 1L (full bag with Avast Vibe Reactor 2L version)
o https://www.avastmarine.com/products/vibe
o Use the Apex to run the mixer 1 times a day for 1 minute.
o Getting ready to replace the stones.
ZEObak = 4 Drops (Manual)
ZEOFood = .4ml (Doser .4ml X 1 times a day)
ZEOstart 3 = .8ml (Doser .2ml X 4 times a day)
Pohls Xtra = 4ml (Doser .33ml X 12 times a day)
Coral Snow = 4 ml (Manual Daily)
Cyano Clean = 8 drops (Manual Daily)
Kent Tech CB A = 16ml (Doser 1.33ml X 12 times a day)
o This one was 12 ml however since this is the Calcium side raising it for the last 2 weeks
Kent Tech CB B = 12ml (Doser .83ml X 12 times a day)
o This one is currently off to try to reduce the Alk for Zeovit system
Kent Mag = 3ml (Doser .25ml X 12 times a day)
o This one is currently off to try to reduce the Mag for Zeovit system

3- what equipment you have in the system(skimmer, pumps, power head..etc)?
2 Jebao power heads running off an Apex controller for different powers and flows throughout the 24 hour cycle
NYOS Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer
o https://premiumaquatics.com/products...n-skimmer.html
Jabao DC return pump
Carbon AquaMaxx Reactor
Apex Classic Gold
Currently running 2 dosers = Full Pacific Sun systems with mixers, etc.
Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1/10 HP
ATI 8 Bulb dimmable fixture
ReefBrite XHO LED Blue X 2

4- whats your parameters (PO4,NO3, Alk, Cal, Mag, K, salinity)
Yesterdays test results (Salifert testers)
Alk = 8
Calc = 390
Mag = 1440
Salinity = 1.025/26
o The other ones will have to test tonight again for current readings. Will run the full panel.

5- whats your light(type and photo period)?
I am currently running an 8 bulb ATI Dimmable 2 Reefbrite LED Blue XHO.

ATI Dimmable Bulb Configuration/Schedule
8 Bulbs Fixture/bulb order
1 = ATI Blue Plus
2 = ATI Coral Plus
3 = ATI Blue Plus
4 = ATI Actinic
5 = ATI Purple Plus
6 = Giesemann Aquablue Azure
7 = ATI Blue Plus
8 = ATI Blue Plus

Schedule the bulbs are in 2 channels, however they are all following the one schedule
10:00 = 20%
11:00 = 60%
12:00 = 100%
15:00 = 100%
16:00 = 60%
17:00 = 20%
19:00 = off until 11:00 next day

2 Reefbrite LED Blue XHO
07:30 = 0%
08:00 = 20%
08:30 = 40%
09:00 = 60%
09:30 = 80%
10:00 = 100%
17:00 = 100%
18:00 = 80%
19:00 = 60%
20:00 = 40%
21:00 = 20%
22:00 = 0%

6- what test kits you are using and how old are they (the most important thing is the accuracy of the tests to work from)
Salifert testers for Alk, Calc and Mag and not expired
I have the Red Sea testers also for Reef tank, however like the Salifert better.
Hanna testers for Alk and Phosphates (however not a fan)

7- how old is the system and how long you been on zeovit?
System has been running for over a year and Zeovit 8 months?

8- did you use live rocks or dead? same for the sand?
Live rock and Live sand
Salt is the Aquaforest Reef Salt

Thank you for all your help!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

First off, very nice tank and rocks arrangement. Good job
If you can get a close up pic of the sand and rocks that shows the cyano it will be good.
We need PO4/NO3 test results. This is important

If your actual total water volume is 110G continue reading, if 110G is not counting for rocks and equipment then you need to adjust the dosing based on your real water volume in your tank.
Lets do the following changes(I will explain why I think the change is needed)
1-Change your vibe to shake 2 times a day, morning and night for 1min (you need to clear the stones more especially with the Avast, in my experience when using Avast, stones get more mulm accumulated I used avast for 7 months).
2-Keep stones at 1L but remember if your water volume is less than 110G we will need to change this
3-You are dosing zeofood WAY too much, this can be your high nutrient problem(high NO3). stop dosing zeofood at moment you do not need it
4-For now keep zeostart dosing the same you can do it 2 times a day of 0.4ml that should also be ok
5-Your Xtra dose is high especially since you are not ULNS yet so change Xtra to 2 times a week. you can do it as one dose of 4ml 2 times a week
6-Coral snow and CC dosing is fine, that being said I have seen coral snow add calcium which in your case should be on just FYI.
7-For Alk,CAL and Mag I high advice you to change from kent, kent always gave me issues with buffering these elements. I would change to either redsea ABC or to B-IONIC 2 parts additive but thats your call
8-Your ALK,Cal and Mag are not that bad BTW, do not worry too much and lets bring them down slowly you are not that far. I run Alk at 7.5 (I have seen multiple Zeo users run their Alk at 8 without a problem)
9-Your light have spectrum that cyano likes, so I advice during treating the cyano remove the purple and the coral plus, if you can supplement with blue or even leave off, at least till we remove the cyano.
10-I also think you have bit too much light, I would either turn off the LED or reduce its time while dealing with cyano. We can experiment with that later
11-Given you used life sand, hard core zeo folks will say this is the root of your problem, and will advice to start changing the sand to dry sand after soaking it in RODI for some time. but honestly I have seen many good tanks with live sand. I would say though, using live sand with zeo require you to have more diligence on the nutrient to avoid cyano and diatom

conclusion:
from what I see my gut feeling is that:
your high NO3 and PO4 are due to your zeofood, maybe nutrient level (feeding, skimmingetc). Your parameters are not that out of range we will correct it soon. Your cyano is due to the fact that your PO4/NO3 are high and the fact that zeo is so weak with cyano, its just the way it is in my opinion.
Lets do the following:

1-Confirm your water volume is 110G not less
2-Test NO3 and PO4, I had very good luck with redsea test kits they were accurate and easy to read.
3-If possible send a triton sample test (~$50) but in my opinion is worth it at least to baseline and make sure you understand your parameters
4-Shake stones 2 times a day, monitor the vibe if you feel it need more than 1 min of shaking to create mulm increase duration to 2min no more than 2 min even if there is no mulm
5-Depend on how old your stones are now, change stones every 4 weeks.
a.When you change stones, dose ZB for 10 days consecutively then switch to 3 times a week depend on your NO3 (low NO3 ZB 2 times a week, high NO3 ZB 3 times a week)
6-Change your dosing to the following:
a.ZB(4 drops)+coral snow(4ml) 3 times a week. Do it in the morning. also make sure your ZB is in the fridge, if it ever been in room temp for more than 8 hours you need a new one
b.ZS 0.4ml 2 times a day
c.cyano clean daily 8 drops
d.zeozyme+biomate 3 times a week. 1tspn zz mix it in l water from your tank in a container that have a lid. Leave it ferment for 4 hours. Then mix again, add biomate 8 drops to the mix, close lid gain and leave it for another 2 to 4 hours. Then dump the whole thing in the water. Do this in a way that you dose to the tank at night after lights off(turn off your skimmer for 2 hours when you dose this).
i. Rational from this is: zz break down mulm and organic, coral snow bind organics. So you break down organics during night where algae cannot take it due to lack of light, then during morning coral snow bind these organics during your morning dose. Keep an eye on your skimmer when you dose ZZ it might need adjustment
ii.We will change this once we have low NO3/PO4 to 2 times a week
e.Instead of zeofood dose sponge power every other day 4 drops
f.Stop other zeo dosing for now until we get more test results
7-Adjust your ALK/CAL and Mag dosing to reach the goal of reducing your alk to 7.5 range, CAL 400~450 range and Mag to 1300~1350 range. Do not stress too much about the values unless they are above the mentioned values, they are not that bad.
a.Once your system is dialed in they will be in check as your coral will be happier and calcification process will be faster
b.Test alk dailyand I mean daily. Alk swing is bad and in zeovit I have seen alk swings. Thats why I actually have auto alk tester. U do not need auto tester just test daily. Cal/mag test weekly
c.If you can change your additives to B-IONIC or red sea this is just because thats what I used in the past and know its performance thats all
8-IF you have Cyano am still not clear from the pic that you do:
a.reduce your photo period to 6 hours a day
b.remove purple and any red spectrum
c.reduce light intensity a bit
9-finally be very mindful of what nutrient you put in the system:
a. Feeding avoid dry food, use only frozen after you rinse it well
b.Make sure your skimmer is producing good junk and keep it on the wet side

Lets do these steps. It will not be always like this BTW so do not be scared. This is to address the issues you have, once system is dialed in the daily routine will be simpler. Just be patient and diligent.
Get back to us with whats missing (above) and update us whenever you can.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2018, 03:04 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Oh one more thing. Lets do weekly water change of 20% for couple of weeks and minitor parameters. The salt am using is tropic marine pro reef. But ur salt looks good juat seems bit lpw on k.
Also test k weekly. We nees yo know ur potassium is nit dipping below 400
Old 01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Also when u change stone, rinse the stone well yhen soak them in rodi water for a day then use them. Cyano can thrive if stones are not rinsed and soaked in rodi.
Finally let me know whats ur rodi source and make aure ita zero tds, this is crucial
Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Default Salt question

Wow and I can not thank you enough for this. I will get on it and report back. Will take me a few. I have tons of Kent product. Should I switch or use this up and switch?

Also the tank is 90 gallon so rock and sand would take away from the volume. Think over 60 pounds of stone along with frag racks on the back top. Used for the sps and wifes zoas...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

No worriea my plesure. Am really just a reefer like you not promoting other than informatioms sharing. I got so much help from this commumity ita only fair to give back.
We reakly nees ti try and guesstimate ur water volume if you rhink ita arouns 90g inwoild say keep the same dosing i describe. But if ita more like 75g we will meed to reduce zb to 3 drops, zeostart to 0.3x2 biomate to 6 drops sponge power to 3 drops amd zeolite to 0.75l....leta keep gping now if yoi are jot sure we cam adjust as we move along. Now the biggest gab i have with you is ur po4 amd no3 readings and your k readinga. We need these 3 as soon as possible and we need to monitor all parameters weekly except alk daily i cannot stress this enough. During tinkering and issues solving coral need stable alk, salinity and k
Am tore regarding kent. On one end i do not like kent cause i heard bad things ahout them having un wanted elemnts in their cal solution. Not sure if you know but kent cal is one of the methods to kill briosis which means they have bad elements in the cal solution. On the other hand i have not used it personally so i cannot give you an openion backed with personal data. So this decision have to come from you...
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Oh also do tell me how old is the zeo stone in ur reactor and send some close up pics ogof the tank and sump
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Sump area. Little bit of a mess. Sorry. Going to clean up this weekend.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Zeo stone needs replaced. Scheduled for this weekend....

Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Ha ha ha i can see you did not do your homework and learn about the zeovit system before you converted lol. Thats ok thu.
. This red light on your chatos is not good and will feed cyano. Either switch to white one or do not use it for a while. Actually chaetos do jot go well with zeovit. I ised a chato reactor for some time but was not woryh keeping it with zeo.
Have the chatos light lit only for 4 hours.
Make sure these chaetos are cleaned frequently.
Your skimmer looks good
I do not see carbon please tell me u using carbon per zeovut recommendation. If not start using it.
If you can give me a list of your coral. Look like your system is lps dominant is that correct?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 PM
scybulski scybulski 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Hanna checker phosphorus URL = 20 ppm
Red Sea NO3 = 5
Red Sea potassium pro K = ran it twice and still looks purple and not blue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk