zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 35% OFF Salifert, 30% OFF Rossmont, 10% OFF Bashsea & more!
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 3
0 Phosphate Issue
Last Post: rchavez
Posted On: Today
Replies: 10
Views: 198
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Posted On: Today
Replies: 139
Views: 10,191
0 180 Convert to Zeo from Turf Scrubber
Last Post: gguertin145
Posted On: Today
Replies: 27
Views: 593
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Posted On: Today
Replies: 29
Views: 647
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 22
Views: 824
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 52
Views: 1,716
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 7
Views: 172
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 969
0 Mein Deltariff...
Last Post: chrima78
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 62
Views: 4,464
More...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Question Established tank, installed ZeoVit, Help Needed

I have a 70gal Cadlights thats about 14 months old with all mixed coral types and various fish. Ive been using kz products such as zeobak, coral vitalizer, b-balance, a-balance, amino acid, and sponge power. Coral snow plus and cyano clean occasionally as preventative.

The tank and sump has about a total water volume of 65-75gal. Ive always used 75gal as a measure point when dosing anything.

I just installed a vertex zeovit 1.5 reactor with 1L of zeolite media. The pump that comes with the reactor is a Eheim600 which has a output rating of 160gph and the reactor is fully open.

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Did I start with to much zeolite?
2. Is the flow to high? (My thought is even though the reactor is fully open the flow is below 100gph since the water has to be pushed through the reactor and out the exhaust)
3 Do I need to start zeobak as a system using zeovit for the first time?
4. Can I continue to use my other kz products Ive been using?

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate .10
Alk 8.3
Mag 1390
Ca 450

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,833
Default

Hi Scribe



Please post some more details about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hi Scribe



Please post some more details about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

G.Alexander
Here are the answers you requested

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
Not sure specs didnt say

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
~75gal

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
No

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
rarely, It was running for about 10 days but took offline lastnight

5. Are you using Ozone
No

6. Are you using UV
No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
royal-exclusiv bubble king 180

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
Hanna PO4=.10 Salifert NO3=.05

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
Ca430 Alk8.3 Mg1350

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
ceramic media, live rock and chemi-pure blue in middle chamber of sump

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
Kessil AP700 peaks at 80% with lens diffusers about 16" above surface of water

12. What corals do you keep
SPS, LPS, acans, nems, zoas, blastos, torchs, shrooms, flowerpot, dendros

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
Garf Bonzai is brown with tips only blue

14. How long has the tank been running
14 months

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
better growth and color

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
RedSea Ca and Alk on doser few mg daily for stable levels
Also use zeobak, amino acid concentrate, coral vitalizer, sponge power, potasium-iodide, B-balance, a-balance
coral snow plus and cyano clean weekly as preventative

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
~140lbs, 14months old

18. Any present problems
patches of algae on back glass, nem is looking terrible for many months, certain sps like acros die from tissue loss or turning brown. gonipora and alvapora are hit or miss with survival

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
see above #18

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Hanna for Po4 and PH, Salifert for all others. All new not expired. same test since beginning

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
just following the recommended dose per the bottles instructions. Have not started zeofit, zeofood, zeostart, or zeospur2 yet. Only the ones stated above are regularly used, however Zeolite and reactor is operational since 10 days ago.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
PH8.3, salinity 1.025, temp 79.8

23. Which salt brand do you use
Fritz
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 931
Default

How long is it before corals (SPS) start dying?
Is the tank fully stocked with fish.
Generally if you sps is turning brown its a water quality issue.
You might have to many fish and the system can't keep up with all the excess nutrients.
It might be as simple as your feeding habits that is if your letting food go all over the place during feeding.
Do you have any pictures so we can see what is going on there please or list out fish
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

I have sps that are doing good and other not so good. Fish wise there are 3 helfrichi, 1 leopard wrasse, 2 small clowns, 1 midas blenny, Dracula goby and red pistol shrimp, and a pipe fish. I don't feed a lot, pellets and do my best that they don't go all over. spot feeding about 1x weekly. Attached are some pics of the tank. My main questions though was about starting the zeovit system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	20349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	20350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	20351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	20352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	20353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	20354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	20355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	20356  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 931
Default

Your using to much stones! Reduce to 3/4 a litre
Also reduce flow threw the reactor by 2/3rds you only need 75 gph
Every time you change stones add 3 drops of bak for ten days in a row then twice a week
You can continue to use the other products.
You got a nice tank there bud
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Your using to much stones! Reduce to 3/4 a litre
Also reduce flow threw the reactor by 2/3rds you only need 75 gph
Every time you change stones add 3 drops of bak for ten days in a row then twice a week
You can continue to use the other products.
You got a nice tank there bud
when you say stones you mean zeolite in the reactor? take 1/4 of the stones out and turn flow down, got it.
I havnt started using zeofood or zeostart, should I begin this and also start the bak for 10 days in a row as if this is using zeovit for the first time?
Thanks for the info and compliment
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 931
Default

I would defiently use some start 3 your ratio should be like 100:1 nitrate to phosphate and start is mostly nitrate and will help convert phosphate.
The zeofood is mostly vitamins and AA's it will feed the algae more then help the corals.
Yes if you have bac on hand use it for the next ten days
Yes the stones are the zeolite or zeovit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I would defiently use some start 3 your ratio should be like 100:1 nitrate to phosphate and start is mostly nitrate and will help convert phosphate.
The zeofood is mostly vitamins and AA's it will feed the algae more then help the corals.
Yes if you have bac on hand use it for the next ten days
Yes the stones are the zeolite or zeovit
What do you mean by my ratio should be 100:1?
zeofood is going to feed the nuisance algae?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2017, 03:44 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,833
Default

Thank you for the additional information, can you please tell us if the TN issues have started before you have added the zeovit reactor ?

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Thank you for the additional information, can you please tell us if the TN issues have started before you have added the zeovit reactor ?

G.Alexander
The TN issues started before the zeovit reactor
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,833
Default

Difficult situation as there was something different caused the TN which looks like it is not fixed already. Would be best to first solve the problem and than start with ZeoVit.

To support your corals I would try three water changes each 20% within the next 10 days to refresh elements in a balanced way. Additional adjust your skimmer to skim more dry.

Anyways as you already have running the reactor for the last 10 days this is what I would recommend to continue:

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Use 0.7 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 75 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.25 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 3 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 3 drops. Dose 0.25 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Do regular weekly water change after the initial water exchanges I have recommended above of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Difficult situation as there was something different caused the TN which looks like it is not fixed already. Would be best to first solve the problem and than start with ZeoVit.

To support your corals I would try three water changes each 20% within the next 10 days to refresh elements in a balanced way. Additional adjust your skimmer to skim more dry.

Anyways as you already have running the reactor for the last 10 days this is what I would recommend to continue:

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Use 0.7 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 75 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.25 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 3 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 3 x weekly dosage of 3 drops. Dose 0.25 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Do regular weekly water change after the initial water exchanges I have recommended above of 5 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 7.5
Ca 400 420 mg
Mg 1250 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
I will follow this guide. You mentioned using zeobak and zeostart but no mention of zeofood. Should I not use this?
I have ROX 0.8 carbon would this be ok to use?
How long should I run the 3hr interval for?
By clean the material you mean pumping the reactor?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Scribe Scribe ثeu
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Default Started zeobak and zeostart

I reduced the zeovit rocks, reduced the flow and added kz carbon to a nylon bag and placed in sump near where the water enters. salifert Potassium test kit reads 390. Still not clear about my precious questions and if its ok to continue using the rest of my zeo products?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 931
Default

Everything but Aminos and zeo food because of the algae you currently have.
The 3/0n/off for a full month
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7, Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by ZeoVit.com