zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 233
Views: 8,934
0 Starting up a new system w/zeovit
Replies: 79
Views: 5,054
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Replies: 21
Views: 722
0 General help!
Replies: 9
Views: 329
9 Zeovit SPS Tissue Loss...Help Needed!
Replies: 7
Views: 171
0 New sps tank
Replies: 53
Views: 1,714
0 Aquarium restart
Replies: 2
Views: 33
0 Questions on cycling the tank with zeovit
Replies: 31
Views: 1,558
0 What Salt Are You Using?
Last Post: markalex
Replies: 2
Views: 44
0 Help cloudy water
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 25
Views: 313
More...

Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default converting 105 gallon to zeovit

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 140 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 125
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique NO
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) no
5. Are you using Ozone no
6. Are you using UVno
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) reef octopus nw 200 with upgraded bb 3000 pump . rated volume is 200 gallons for heavy stocked tanks.
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels p04 is .03 ppm nitrates at 25 ppm . have been struggling to get phosphate into the system and is imbalanced.
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels CA 420 alk 8.4 mag 1350
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)skimmer and carbon reactor. bare bottom system.
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) maxspect razor 300w
12. What corals do you keep acropora
13. Tissue color (light or dark)dark
14. How long has the tank been running 3 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system nutrient control
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) was using a redsea carbon dosing system but it drove the p04 too low and did nothing for nitrates
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) about 40 pounds , started with dry rock and cooked / cycled for 6 months for weekly water changes and cleanings with pure ammonia source.
18. Any present problems little bit of water clouding
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) brown mulm on rocks and starboard
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)hanna dkh and p04 ulr, salifert nitrate (new) salifert ca , red sea magnesium pro (new)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)4 drops bak, 4 drops start,2ml food
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)sg 1.0255 temp 78 run on controller and checked daily.
23. Which salt brand do you use red sea reef salt (blue bucket) not pro

currently running zucht magnetic reactor with 1l of media. pumped twice daily. morning additions of the 3 starter bottles. reactor running approximatly 60 gallons per hour on a 3 hour on 3 hour of cycle for the first 2 weeks.

i have developed a haze on the glass and diatoms on the rocks, im sure this is normal for it b eing the first 2 weeks of the system running .

can i run carbon in a reactor with very low flow through it ?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

For the first couple of month I would recommend you to run the carbon passively flown in the sum (0.4 liters) kneading it daily and replace it every 4 weeks. Later you can put it in a reactor with active flow but reduce the quantity to 0.2 liters in this case in replace it every 2 – 3 weeks.

Your dosing regimen does describe a dosage of 2 ml Food daily, is that ZeoFood and do you really dose 2 ml ?

Can you please also tell us when you have started to use ZeoVit exactly ?

G.Alexander
Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post

For the first couple of month I would recommend you to run the carbon passively flown in the sum (0.4 liters) kneading it daily and replace it every 4 weeks. Later you can put it in a reactor with active flow but reduce the quantity to 0.2 liters in this case in replace it every 2 3 weeks.

Your dosing regimen does describe a dosage of 2 ml Food daily, is that ZeoFood and do you really dose 2 ml ?

Can you please also tell us when you have started to use ZeoVit exactly ?

G.Alexander
correction: zeo start at 2 ml daily
zeo food at 4 drops daily
zeo bak at 4 drops daily

all as indicated in the start up guide for the first 2 weeks when starting a tank with high nutrient load and just starting zeovit.
i am at the end of week 3 and have reduced those dosages to every other day.

still have brown mulm on rocks and bare bottom but very light. im sure it is just a transitional stage. clean glass every 3 days with just a light film of dusting on it. so far so good.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

in reading the zeovit system guide . the brown film forming air bubbles during lighting period is an od symptom of zeostart3. will reduce this and correct condition.

thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:11 AM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend you to continue dosing as follows:

ZeoBac - 5 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart – 0.45 ml 2 x daily (morning / evening)
ZeoFood – stop dosing it for a while

The brown film should disappear soon usually.

G.Alexander
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I would recommend you to continue dosing as follows:

ZeoBac - 5 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart 0.45 ml 2 x daily (morning / evening)
ZeoFood stop dosing it for a while

The brown film should disappear soon usually.

G.Alexander

sounds like a plan. thank you for the response.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Nitrates are at around 25ppm
phosphates at .04 ppm.

can phosphate be limiting the growth of bacteria in the system? i pump the canister 2 times a day and see a clear mulm come from the stones but this stringy brown stuff onthe rocks is doesnt seem to be going away. even with the removal of the zeo food from the system.

I can do a 30% water change and it doesnt seem to make a dent for more than a day or two . very strange.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 AM
ZEOadmin

Can you please post a picture of the stuff you have issues with ?

G.Alexander
Old 06-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

zeolite rocks are very clean. nothing growing on them that is visible. i get a sort of clear film in very small peices when i agitate them.

here is the phosphates check with ulr checker. that comes up to .04 ppm when converted.

here is an example of a frag that i have . kinda blah. no polyp extension almost no growth in the last month that i have had it . all corals are the same.

im assuming it the nitrates as i tested them yeterday and they were at 50ppm on a red sea kit and 50+ on brand new salifert.

my tank is bare bottom and has a very light fish load. 4 inches of fish total and small bt nem. fed very sparingly.

25% water change weekly.

im at a loss.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

i just did my water change yesterday and cleaned the hell out of everything so i dont have any photos of the brown slime that shows up with lights on. I checked everything. source water even after mixing shows up with no trace of nitrates. there is no detritus in the system at all except one slow flow spot in the sump that get vacuumed every week with water changes.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:16 AM
ZEOadmin

Does the stuff disappear while the next growing back quick if light are on again forming brown strands ?

G.Alexander
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

yes!

i am assuming and please correct me if i am wrong. that the zeolite rocks are doing their job and consuming ammonia before the live rock bacteria gets a chance to feed on it. thus, causing a die off of the bacteria in the rock creating nutrients to become available to whatever the brown slime is.
the zeo guide says this is a symptom of over dose of zeo start. should i hold back on that as well even though we reduced the dosage to .45 ml 2x daily morning and evening?

just looking for a reason my nitrates are sooo high.

Last edited by Wopadobop; 06-13-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:10 AM
ZEOadmin

Sounds like Dinoflagelate to me, the dosage does not have much of a impact on them. To be sure you need to check with a microscope, I have upload a video (klick on the picture in the first post) which does show how they look like:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20208

G.Alexander
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

confirmed not diatoms. thank god.

it is a form of cyano bacteria.

so a little update. i tested my reactor flow and it was only half of what it should be (around 212 lph) so adjusted it to 400l per hour for the 1l of media i have. A little note. for nearly 400 dollars the kz reactor could have come with a much better form of adjustment than a hose that doesnt fit and horrible valve that goes from nothing to full in a 10th of turn. tell that to who ever is putting them together.

anyway. going to continue to dose with the recommended and put reactor on 24/7 run time.
nitrates 50 ppm
phosphate .04 ppm
kh 7.2
sg 1.0255
ca 430
mag 1350

I will get a potassium test kit once i get to uln zone, until then i will continue with 20% water changes weekly.

thanks for the help. we will see if this system can address the nitrate problems with reactor set correctly.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Wopadobop Wopadobop 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

update.

nitrates down to just above 30 ppm. brown slime is nearly gone. polyps extension is better everyday. skimmer really starting to pull some sludge and needs cleaning daily.

let his be a lesson to everyone out there starting a zeo tank for the first time. The reactor flow is probably the most important part of the system. too much and you get shocked live stock , not enough and you get a nutrient explosion.

i measured mine with a 500ml water bottle. should fill in 4.5 seconds to get to 400l per hour for every 1l of media.