zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > Picture Forums > Tank Gallery (All Languages)

Tank Gallery (All Languages) Please share your tank in general/building process etc.

Active Threads
5 green algae outbreak
Last Post: Gnarkill
Posted On: Today
Replies: 42
Views: 1,207
0 Was ist das ?
Last Post: nano68
Replies: 4
Views: 35
0 100g SPS Tank
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 97
Views: 7,270
0 changing to full zeo,need some advice and help
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 30
Views: 763
0 Brand new 60 gallon tank for ZeoVit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 8
Views: 103
0 Best Zeovit additives for sps???
Replies: 3
Views: 76
0 New tank Elos 160 XL
Replies: 29
Views: 1,765
0 Zeo-Testbecken
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 13
Views: 369
0 First time KZ
Last Post: djbrandriff150
Replies: 10
Views: 562
0 Probl鋗e sur le KH plus liquid
Last Post: patrickscho
Replies: 0
Views: 30
More...
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
V1...rotate V1...rotate 目前離線
A Reef in the Sky

Default A Reef in the Sky

Hello all,

I'd just like to start by saying that I'm not entirely sure where this thread should be placed as it is not a build of such (just yet), rather my ideas and plans of what is to come. So moderators... if you feel it should be moved please do so.

Hobby Experience

I have only been in the hobby just over 1 year. My current tank is a Red Sea Max (RSM) 34 Gallon which some of you may have heard of or seen. It is a great tank for a beginner but as predicted, I have become hooked to this hobby and plan on upgrading.

Unfortunately, I speak very little Cantonese (Chinese) and as a result find it very difficult to learn and ask questions at the local aquarium shops here in Hong Kong. Therefore I have spent many hours reading and gathering information over the last 6 or so months and I am now ready to put my ideas and thoughts forward. Hopefully some of you can help me out with my ideas and questions.

My Goals

I came across Zeovit and the concept around 9 months ago and would like to try it. My goal is to mainly have a dominated SPS reef with some marine fish. Besides the contents inside the aquarium I am trying to design a stylish & modern setup which compliments my apartment.

I will be posting questions covering many topics from Zeovit use to basic plumbing. Although I will not be building the tank and installing it myself due to the language barrier, I'd like to understand as much as possible so I know what is going on. I'm looking forward to any advice, explanations or ideas that will help bring my future tank to reality. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Current Tank

This is my current tank and the space that I have to work with

My Vision

Some plans of the overall setup

With cabinet doors

This is the overall design so far. I will provide more information and plans for the tank, stand and cabinet tomorrow. Questions will follow... especially regarding the plumbing.

Regards

Andrew
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
A Reef in the Sky

The Tank

Dimensions:
168cm L x 66cm W x 56cm H OR (66" L x 26" W x 22" H)
Gross Tank Volume 618L OR (163G)
Net Tank Volume 480 L OR (121G)
Rimless, Low-Iron Glass (sides and front)
19mm (0.75")

These were some of my initial plans having the internal overflow. A power head was going to be placed between the overflow and the right hand side, hence the space.

But after some discussion it maybe be better to have it up against one end plus it will be easier to hide with rock work and service for maintenance if required.
Is this better??

Overall look

I'm limited for space and as a result the tank/cabinet can not be wider than 66cm, 26". For this reason I've elected for an internal overflow and not an external overflow. I would like the tank to be viewable when I walk through the front door so an overflow at one end isn't really an option.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Ed Reef Ed Reef 目前離線
ART of Aquascaping

Let me be the first to post - CONGRATULATIONS and look like you're off to a good start!!

I think maybe to ask Alexander to move this into the Gallery forum will be better as there is much more traffic there and you can get a lot of useful advice

Just my 2 cent
Old 05-22-2009, 12:37 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Quote:
Let me be the first to post - CONGRATULATIONS and look like you're off to a good start!!

I think maybe to ask Alexander to move this into the Gallery forum will be better as there is much more traffic there and you can get a lot of useful advice
Thanks Ed, looks like it worked. Now moved.

Next plans are my sump and overflow. All advice & ideas welcome.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Ed Reef Ed Reef 目前離線
ART of Aquascaping

What type of overflow pipe do you intend to used??

For space saver, I would go with a 'Hofer Gurgle Buster' style or a 'Stockman Standpipe' style??

Some links for your reading....

Hofer Gurgle Buster
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Stockman Standpipe
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=239116

As for sump, best to share your total water circulation plan and also your sump drawing as I'm sure many experts here can contribute
Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Thanks Ed, you beat me to it. I'll have a look at the links too

Overflow

Since this will mainly be a SPS coral tank my understanding is that I will require a lot of flow. I plan on some being from two return pumps and the rest made up from power heads with the aquarium. After reading many articles and especially those from the reef keeping magazine I have come up with this.

Looking for 7-8 times through the sump which is 968G, rounded up to 1000G (3700l/h) for simplicity. Using the calculator on RC it recommends;
minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.31 inches
minimum linear overflow size = 15 inches (38cm)

Therefore I have designed the following...

Linear overflow size is 18" (47cm)
x2 Drain pipes at 1.25" (3.2cm)

Will all of this work?? I am a little puzzled with this area.

This is where I need your advice. I was intending to use two Durso stand pipes but as suggested the Hofer Gurgle Buster might be the way to go. I would like it to be as quiet as possible.

Sump

There will be no fish room for storage so all the components need to be underneath the tank in the cabinet except for the chiller. Since this will be a zeovit system I haven't designed a Refugium. Below are some pics

Dimensions (not including the RODI section)
111cm L x 52cm W x 41cm H OR (42" L x 20.5" W x 16" H)
Net Tank Volume 227L OR (60G)
The return section will have Tunze nano-stream 6055 to help circulation.

Top View

Note** The end section will be an area for RODI water and an ATO which will feed directly into the return chamber. It can hold approx 7-9G meaning I can hopefully leave it for a few days with out the need of topping up. The rest is self explanatory.

Internal View with baffle dimensions

Finished Product

Water Circulation

Considering either the following for a return pump. I would have the 2 pumps reduced to 50-75% to reduce potential noise, heat and prolong life.

x2 Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence 1073.040 (3000l/h)
x2 Eheim 5000 (2500-5000l/h)
x2 Eheim 1262 (3400l/h)
x2 Red Dragon 4.5 (4500l/h)

In the aquarium itself I was looking at the Vortech for flow (since I have one already) but am leaning towards the Tunze models for compatibility with the Profilux controllers and it's own multi-controller 7095.

x3 Tunze 6105 (3000 -13000l/h)

So to sum up then....

Tank & Sump Net Volume 707L Total (say 700L)
700L x 30 times = 21,000L/h

x2 return pumps (Eheim 5000 at 2500L/h setting) will provide 3700L/h (considering head pressure)
x3 Tunze 6105 providing the rest (more than enough)

Does all this make sense??... let me know your thoughts and of course if I have missed anything major. As I mentioned... this is the hardest part for me.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Dave's Reef Dave's Reef 目前離線
ZEOhead

Looks like you're well on your way there....

I look forward to seeing your progress V1!~
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Ed Reef Ed Reef 目前離線
ART of Aquascaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1...rotate
Thanks Ed, you beat me to it. I'll have a look at the links too

Overflow

Since this will mainly be a SPS coral tank my understanding is that I will require a lot of flow. I plan on some being from two return pumps and the rest made up from power heads with the aquarium. After reading many articles and especially those from the reef keeping magazine I have come up with this.

Looking for 7-8 times through the sump which is 968G, rounded up to 1000G (3700l/h) for simplicity. Using the calculator on RC it recommends;
minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.31 inches
minimum linear overflow size = 15 inches (38cm)

Therefore I have designed the following...

Linear overflow size is 18" (47cm)
x2 Drain pipes at 1.25" (3.2cm)

Will all of this work?? I am a little puzzled with this area.

This is where I need your advice. I was intending to use two Durso stand pipes but as suggested the Hofer Gurgle Buster might be the way to go. I would like it to be as quiet as possible.

Sump

There will be no fish room for storage so all the components need to be underneath the tank in the cabinet except for the chiller. Since this will be a zeovit system I haven't designed a Refugium. Below are some pics

Dimensions (not including the RODI section)
111cm L x 52cm W x 41cm H OR (42" L x 20.5" W x 16" H)
Net Tank Volume 227L OR (60G)
The return section will have Tunze nano-stream 6055 to help circulation.

Top View

Note** The end section will be an area for RODI water and an ATO which will feed directly into the return chamber. It can hold approx 7-9G meaning I can hopefully leave it for a few days with out the need of topping up. The rest is self explanatory.

Internal View with baffle dimensions

Finished Product

Water Circulation

Considering either the following for a return pump. I would have the 2 pumps reduced to 50-75% to reduce potential noise, heat and prolong life.

x2 Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence 1073.040 (3000l/h)
x2 Eheim 5000 (2500-5000l/h)
x2 Eheim 1262 (3400l/h)
x2 Red Dragon 4.5 (4500l/h)

In the aquarium itself I was looking at the Vortech for flow (since I have one already) but am leaning towards the Tunze models for compatibility with the Profilux controllers and it's own multi-controller 7095.

x3 Tunze 6105 (3000 -13000l/h)

So to sum up then....

Tank & Sump Net Volume 707L Total (say 700L)
700L x 30 times = 21,000L/h

x2 return pumps (Eheim 5000 at 2500L/h setting) will provide 3700L/h (considering head pressure)
x3 Tunze 6105 providing the rest (more than enough)

Does all this make sense??... let me know your thoughts and of course if I have missed anything major. As I mentioned... this is the hardest part for me.
Hi Andrew...

Any decisions on type of skimmer, Zeo reactor to used as before I comment on the sump design, I think best we know what water level you intend to run.

Also how high is your cabinet stand so that we know what's the max height your skimmer/ sump tank can go!!

Your 2 x 1.25" drainage pipe will be more than sufficient for your tank.

Give me a day or two to look through the rest of your plans before commenting further but first a couple of Q??

1. Are you planing on a BB, SSB or DSB?
  2. Are you planning on 'less is more' aquascaping look? This will determine the amount of LR
  3. What other equipments are you planning to have in your sump tank, apart from the Zeo reactor, skimmer, return, ATO??
  4. Is your skimmer in-sump or external feed? - reason I ask is cause if it's in-sump, you might not want too much flow through in your sump as it will make your skimmer less effective

As for type of return pumps, all those listed by you are excellence pumps. I've experience in all of them (apart from RD) and I can say they all work as advertise. So the big question is what's more important to you...brand? noise? heat? reliability? money?

However, if you go with Tunze, just make sure it's a 220v model you're ordering and not the 110v model.

Last edited by Ed Reef; 05-22-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Reef
Looks like you're well on your way there....

I look forward to seeing your progress V1!~
Thanks Dave, yeah... it's a start but this is now when all my ideas are put to the test. Will it all work? Let the fun the begin.

More to come!!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Another very nice build thread Rotate Cant wait to see the system up.

G.Alexander
Old 05-22-2009, 04:44 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Equipment (some)

Quote:
Any decisions on type of skimmer, Zeo reactor to used as before I comment on the sump design, I think best we know what water level you intend to run.
Well, this would be one of the most challenging decisions to make regarding the setup and nothing is finalized just yet.

Skimmer: KZ Revolution (small) or BK SM 200/250

Zeo Reactor: 2L Zeovit Filter Easy Lift Magnetic Small (may modify the pump to an Ehiem)

Return Pumps: as mentioned in last post

Quote:
Also how high is your cabinet stand so that we know what's the max height your skimmer/ sump tank can go!!
Yes this is a concern and after seeing the trouble you had, I've also considered this. Below is a basic diagram of the stand (yet to be finalized).

The thickness of metal stand is 5cm, wood underneath the sump is 2cm and since the sump height is 42cm this leaves me with approx 26cm clearance to maneuver the skimmer in and out at the end.
I believe that there is plenty of room for a skimmer to sit and the collection cup to be removed. My concern is the removal of the skimmer itself.

Quote:
So the big question is what's more important to you...brand? noise? heat? reliability? money?
All are important but to be specific noise and heat are my major concerns. Having 2 return pumps should also improve the reliability.

Quote:
However, if you go with Tunze, just make sure it's a 220v model you're ordering and not the 110v model.
Will do... If I do order items via the internet, it will only be from specific countries. I've read that the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz can cause many problems too.

Quote:
1. Are you planing on a BB, SSB or DSB?
2. Are you planning on 'less is more' aquascaping look? This will determine the amount of LR
3. What other equipments are you planning to have in your sump tank, apart from the Zeo reactor, skimmer, return, ATO??
4. Is your skimmer in-sump or external feed? - reason I ask is cause if it's in-sump, you might not want too much flow through in your sump as it will make your skimmer less effective
Ed, I believe I've answered question 4 above and will answer the other 3 shortly. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander
Another very nice build thread Rotate Cant wait to see the system up.

G.Alexander
Thank you Mr Alexander. Looking forward to the journey and especially the zeovit adventure.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Ed Reef Ed Reef 目前離線
ART of Aquascaping

My god - your skills in Google Sketch it is absolutely amazing...!!

More questions:
Any reason why you can't have a higher stand...let's say 100cm?? Due to height of ceiling?? As you're planning on using T5, you won't need that much space above??

If I remember correctly, apartments in HK is about 1.7 to 1.8m ceiling height??

Also is there any way to incorporate a sliding rail to place your sump tank?? This way you can simply slide out your sump for easy cleaning and removal of your skimmer (when necessary)

Just an idea that came up to me when I was having problems trying to fit my skimmer into the sump tank... god bless those wonderful wines
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM
A Reef in the Sky

Quote:
My god - your skills in Google Sketch it is absolutely amazing...!!
Thanks Ed, I've spent a number of months learning the program. It's great! Plus once you use a rendering program it brings everything to life.

Quote:
More questions:
Any reason why you can't have a higher stand...let's say 100cm?? Due to height of ceiling?? As you're planning on using T5, you won't need that much space above??

If I remember correctly, apartments in HK is about 1.7 to 1.8m ceiling height??
The ceiling in the apartment is 2.6m. I've thought long and hard about this. My current tank's stand is 80cm high and our dining table is 76cm. The highest I'd like to go is probably 90cm to keep it level with the other furniture.
Also, eye level from the couch suits these proposed heights. If the tank's too high then the T5 lights might be distracting in the evening. I'll create some new drawings and see what it looks like proportion wise.

Quote:
Also is there any way to incorporate a sliding rail to place your sump tank?? This way you can simply slide out your sump for easy cleaning and removal of your skimmer (when necessary)
It's funny that you mention this because I had actually thought about it after reading your posts. Doing so would allow me to keep the current stand height and the skimmer movement would not be a problem.

I was looking into a roller system like this. It would be secured in-between the stand and slide out towards the front door. I'll try to come up with some plans as it will help in other areas.... although it will be $$$$$!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Aged Salt Aged Salt 目前離線
ZEOhead

The rollers looks like a great way, Andrew, to Ed's good suggestionBob