zeovit.com Premium Aquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Starting Zeovit on a new tank and need some help.
Last Post: Lisavet2000
Posted On: Today
Replies: 45
Views: 2,394
0 Selbstreinigender Zeolithfilter
Last Post: chrima78
Replies: 15
Views: 1,497
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 57
Views: 3,305
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 1
Views: 54
0 The Dreaded Dino and Zeovit Paradox
Last Post: iamchadster
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 398
0 Cloudy Water
Last Post: jpukla
Replies: 14
Views: 769
0 New to the forum hybrid zeovit
Last Post: Da8
Replies: 6
Views: 202
0 NEW Video & Contest: Aqamai KPS Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 NEW VID & GIVEAWAY: Finnex LED Nano Reef Tank Lighting
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 61
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: Strazz
Replies: 35
Views: 1,228
More...

Old 10-10-2017, 04:11 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I am not sure which kind of role those elements play if it comes to LPS corals but SPS corals are much more sensitive to such things that is why I do not think that it is the reason for the problem.

Can you tell me how much zeovit material you use exactly and what exactly the flow through the reactor is (measured) ?

Also are basically all kind of LPS corals affected or just a couple ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Lowefx Lowefx 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

I use 1L of Zeovit in a zeovit reactor. I figured it's been a while since I've exchanged (2+ months) so I just exchanged .5L and I'm dosing .5ml zeostart 2x daily, and on my 3rd day of 10 drops Zeobak (120g)for 10 days. As far as flow through reactor, I will have to check after work, but I do believe valve is half open.

STN started with my Wilsoni corals, then it took out my Acans. Then moved to my Chalices. It has already taken out a Miami Hurricane, red with yellow rim, and half of my bubble gum chalice (pic attached) that was the size of a canelope. Also my Galaxia is 90% dead. My frog spawn and neon trumpet have lost 2 heads each. I check for preditors daily in the middle of night and I see nothing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by G.Alexander; 10-11-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 AM
ZEOadmin

Looking forward to the measured reactor flow. You have also mention that you use UV which is not compatible to the system. For a net water volume of 110 US gallons your dosage is to high, recommend to continue as follows:

4 drops ZeoBac daily for 10 days, than 4 drops 2 x weekly
0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily

You have also mention that you had issues with Dinos, have you treated them in any way ?

Have you already tried to adjust your skimmer to skim more dry for some time ?

Might the LPS corals do get to much light ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Lowefx Lowefx 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Looking forward to the measured reactor flow. You have also mention that you use UV which is not compatible to the system. For a net water volume of 110 US gallons your dosage is to high, recommend to continue as follows:

4 drops ZeoBac daily for 10 days, than 4 drops 2 x weekly
0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily

You have also mention that you had issues with Dinos, have you treated them in any way ?

Have you already tried to adjust your skimmer to skim more dry for some time ?

Might the LPS corals do get to much light ?

G.Alexander
For the dinos, I have tried many options. There is a very detailed thread on reef 2 reef over 200 pages that is making progress on defeating them. One of which is using a UV. This has only been installed for 2 weeks. My problems have existed for 8 months. And I actually have it only turned on at night when the dinos are in the water column. When I dose Zeobak, the light are off. I am showing progress against the dinos since installing. I've also tried H202, Cheato, and lights out for many days, none of which truly worked. Dinos thrive off of ULNS.

I will adjust dosing. Total volume is closer to 120g if you include sump.

Yes, skimmer is skimming dry. Very dark green skimmate after a few days. I've also been dosing phyto directly to corals and I see little progress with feeders coming out.

Lighting is not a factor. I've replaced bulbs and moved many locations in the past.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Lowefx Lowefx 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
response

G.Alexander
@Alexander Can I add a marine pure stone to remove my consistently high nitrates (+/-10ppm over 6 months)
I still have an imbalance of nutrients with no3 being 10-16ppm and PO4-.00 or .02 All tested with Red Sea.
I previously had diatoms issues which have slowed way down. It is still a battle. I need to add PO4 (medical grade) to raise po4 which will help my battle. Do you see any down side to this? Looking forward to hearing back from you on these questions.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 PM
ZEOadmin

Difficult to say, what is your guess for the reason of NO3 and have you already cross check it with a different test kit (different manufacturer) already ? Do you run any kind of mechanical filtration materials ?

G.Alexander
Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Lowefx Lowefx 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Difficult to say, what is your guess for the reason of NO3 and have you already cross check it with a different test kit (different manufacturer) already ? Do you run any kind of mechanical filtration materials ?

G.Alexander
My only mechanical filtration is a Vertex omega 150 and the zeovit vertex reactor, and filter sock (exchange once a week and wash with bleach).
I don't know why it is high, but if the zeolites remove the ammonia, then can't convert into nitrite then nitrate. Being that I started my system with dry rock and dry sand, maybe the rock didn't have the microorganisms available to remove nitrate. Even adding the zeobak doesn't seem to help.
I've used salifert and red sea test, both are not expired.

My goal is to reach po4 to .02 and no3 to 4ppm.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:37 PM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend to clean the filter sock every other day for some time and vacuum the sand while each water change to remove the mulm from the deeper layers.

This should usually decrease the NO3 over the next couple of weeks.

G.Alexander
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Lowefx Lowefx 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
I would recommend to clean the filter sock every other day for some time and vacuum the sand while each water change to remove the mulm from the deeper layers.

This should usually decrease the NO3 over the next couple of weeks.

G.Alexander
My goal is to do LESS water changes.
Do you see any negative effects with adding a Marine Pure block or bio-pellets to remove no3?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:05 AM
ZEOadmin

Water changes are IMO the best you can do especially if your system is stocked heavy with SPS to refresh elements in a balanced way.

G.Alexander