zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Bugger
Posted On: Today
Replies: 40
Views: 1,469
0 Nitrate
Last Post: Wouter5th
Replies: 8
Views: 247
0 Sand help question Bare bottom
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 2
Views: 34
0 Converting 120 gallon Reef tank to ZEO
Last Post: Ari
Replies: 49
Views: 1,867
0 Help with cyano
Last Post: BY34
Replies: 6
Views: 203
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Last Post: arringar
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 17
Views: 747
0 Is it possible to avoid the pastel colors?
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 9
Views: 247
0 reef tank steph_69
Last Post: OverCool
Replies: 197
Views: 16,188
0 Zeovit product for me
Posted On: 05-26-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 87
0 red sea max s-400
Posted On: 05-26-2017
Replies: 143
Views: 4,981
More...
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM
DukeOfSavoy DukeOfSavoy ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default Help with Zeovit Startup in an existing but lightly stocked system

I started the Zeovit system on my tank 4 weeks ago, and am still having issues with the startup. My tank had 2 acro, 1 zoa, 1 acan, and 1 monti along with various snails and hermits but no fish. It was up and running for 3 months, and all coral was alive and had healthy PE but a general brown color to the tissue. After starting dosing my two acro bleached, one started STN but the other had normal PE, and my monti turn darker brown but 0 PE(other Corals showed no reaction. I attributed the trouble with the negative effects to cycling with the new bacteria, so I moved all Corals into another tank. After 20 days of start up I replaced the monti in my tank. It's been ~ 10days back in the tank and it's starting to show STN. I'm rather frustrated at this point, I wanted to see if there's something I missed which is the cause of my troubles before I discontinue Zeovit and return to my old Berlin-type system.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system:
20g tank plus 20g sump
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) -
approx 35g
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique :
no
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor
No
5. Are you using Ozone
No
6. Are you using UV
No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
RLSS R5i rated up to 75
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
NO3 is 0.3, PO4 is 0.1
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
Ca is 420, Alk is 10, Mg is unknown
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
Zeovit Reactor, activated carbon, and skimmer
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
150w HQI metal halide, 20000k
12. What corals do you keep
See into
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
One dark, two bleached
14. How long has the tank been running
>3months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
Care and color up SPS
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
See 21
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
~20lbs
18. Any present problems
See into
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
See intro
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Salifert, 4 months old
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
Zeovit - .3L in Reactor
Zeobak - 1-2 drops daily
Zeostart - 3 drops daily
Pohl's Extra - 1 drop daily
Minor trace - every week
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Temp 77
Salinity 1.023
23. Which salt brand do you use
Reef Crystals
Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 AM
Mikereef Mikereef ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

By keeping your alk at 10 and having 0.1 phosphate isn't a good idea. To run a zeovit system alk needs to be between 6.5 to 7.5 any higher and corals show burnt tips ect. My zeovit tank was started with it and hasn't had any problems. But switching an established tank to zeovit tbh is a looong slow mission. My best friends tank took a year before it was fully on the zeovit alone.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 02:32 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

The KH is for sure a problem, also have you already checked the K+ level of your system ?

Please also measure the flow of your reactor and post the result. You can do this easy by collecting the water from the outlet for 30 seconds, than multiply the volume with 120 and you will get the exact output per hour.

Do you run the reactor with continuous flow since the start or do you use the 3 hour on/off interval ?

G.Alexander
Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 AM
ZEOhead in Training

I was aware that my KH was on the high side prior to starting Zeovit. Fixing was the problem that I really couldn't find a viable solution for. The only two options that were found were water changes, or adding extra CaCl2. My problem with the water change solution is that nothing I dose is supposed to raise my KH, which makes worry that my water from my RO unit is already high which would not fix anything. I replaced all the filters in my RO less than 4 months ago, so they should be good to go as my TDS reading is 15. I do water changes every two weeks and this had had no effect. The CaCl2 option, which is supposed to bring KH into equalibrium, hasn't worked either. So I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.
G: I had my reactor running on the 3hr cycle for the first two weeks but have since had it on 24hrs. The flow rate is right at 60gph which would be the recommended rate in the KZ manual. I stir the reactor 2-3 times per day, but no mulm has been produced as of yet. My existing tank, had almost no bioload with only 4 frags and 3 hermits and snails. That's why I pulled my frags and treated the Zeovit startup as you would for a new system.
I have a 55g mixed reef that isn't on Zeovit just a refugium with algae and a large skimmer. Since transferring the frags to that tank they have been doing well. I did move one monti frag back into the Zeo tank and it was looking okay but no PE for about 4 days then all of a sudden it went into RTN faster than any coral I've ever seen.

Thanks for your help folks
Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 AM
ZEOadmin

Do you use the same RO water for your other tank also ?

Might any kind of the rocks or sand leach KH ?

Which kind of materials have you used exactly and do coralline algae already grow on the rocks ?

G.Alexander
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Yes it's the same RO water for all three tanks.
I have sand/aragonite substrate and live rock from several localities both of which are used identically in all three tanks.
After process of elimination, I'm pretty sure I have found the culprit. I made my own Zeovit reactor and to attach my pump to the reactor inlet I used this epoxy putty call JB WaterWeld. I have used this stuff on other non-aquarium related projects but prior to using it on my reactor I did search the forums for anyone who has used it before and I found only positive reviews (i.e. No negative impact). The only thing that would make me question the epoxy being the culprit is that it's hard to imagine that the small amount I used could leach enough to raise my KH to 11-12 in a total volume of 35 gallons. I have removed the reactor from my sump for the time being, so that I can see if that will affect my KH.
If I want to run my tank without the reactor, will the zeobak bacteria still be able to survive if I just have the Zeovit in a filter bag in my sump? I know that's not ideal but a small benefit is better than none.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 AM
ZEOadmin

With the epoxy you can never be sure, as precaution I would recommend to remove it doing the sealing with a different material but this is not the reason for the high KH.

Your zeovit reactor flow rate is to high also, for a system volume of 35 US gallons use 0.33 liters zeovit with a flow of ~ 35 US gallons per hour.

Dose 0.13 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily, not sure if 3 drops has the same volume, maybe something you can check.

Have you used a different KH test kit already and which kind of rocks have you used for the system ?

G.Alexander