zeovit.com Prolineaquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Flatworm stop bottoming out PO4?
Last Post: c3hutson
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 72
0 Brown/Rust Colored Algae After Dosing ZeoBac and ZeoFood
Last Post: Seth008
Replies: 5
Views: 145
0 The journey starts 12.09.17
Last Post: FraysReef
Replies: 10
Views: 270
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Last Post: johntekin
Replies: 2
Views: 62
0 The Island Reef
Last Post: mefisto
Replies: 109
Views: 14,879
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: Lowefx
Replies: 202
Views: 7,903
0 my new thank....
Last Post: blueyedson
Replies: 100
Views: 5,851
0 stocking a new tank day10 onwards
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 adding Zeovit in stablish tank
Replies: 5
Views: 122
0 New sps tank
Replies: 20
Views: 434
More...
Old 12-05-2016, 03:13 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Default Reefer 450 going ZEOvit

Hey guys,

I'm about to convert my aquarium to the ZEOvit method. Currently I'm running a biopellet reactor. Should I remove it from the system before I install a zeolite reactor and start dosing Zeostart and Zeobac?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:30 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Matwes

Please post some more details about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

G.Alexander
Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Details about my system. Admin can edit this information into my first post, thank you.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system: 440L - 350L display, 90L sump
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - Ca 380-400L
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique: Balling Classic with dosing pump. Biopellets in reactor.
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor: No
5. Are you using Ozone: No
6. Are you using UV: No
7. What skimmer are you using: Reef Octopus 152-S rated up to 350L heavily stocked. I have a higher than normal bio load so I'm planning on upgrading to larger Bubble King skimmer.
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: PO4 0,09 Hanna, NO3 ~8-10 Salifert.
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: Ca 420, KH, 8, Mg 1350 - Salifert
10. What filtration method do you use: None
11. Type of light: LED Maxspect Razor 180W 1500K x 2. Running 100% blue channel, 62% white channel for 9 hrs. 1 hour sunrise, 1 hour sundown. 3 hrs fading blue in the evening.
12. What corals do you keep: Mainly SPS, Acropora, Montipora, Seriatopora, Pocilophora, Stylophora. LPS, Euphyllia, Duncanopsammia. Anemonies, Stichodactyla, Entachmaea and some mushrooms.
13. Tissue color: Normal
14. How long has the tank been running: 11 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system. I want to run a stable ULNS system to improve my SPS corals.
16. Any supplemental dosing: Balling Classic with 4-channel dosing pump. KZ Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid, Potassium/Idodine/Fluoride. Brightwell KoralColor. Decided to try KZ on recommendation from a friend some weeks ago. Corals have responded very well.
17. Live rock: About 40kg from an old tank.
18. Any present problems: Just some green algae on the glass, have to remove every day.
19. Problem description:
20. What test kit do you use: Salifert: Ca-KH-Mg-Ph-NO3-Potassium. Hanna Checker PO4
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) None yet.
22. Other water parameters and water stability: Salinity 3.5% refractometer. Temp 26C.
23. Which salt brand do you use: Red Sea Coral Pro

Last edited by Matwes; 12-05-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 AM
ZEOadmin

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 1 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 400 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.4 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 4 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 4 drops. Dose 0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on. You can additional dose 4 drops SpongePower every other day, stop the dosage of the other products you already use except your KH and Ca supplement.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

When starting with ZeoVit remove 50% of the pellets, than reduce the rest slowly step by step to zero over the next 4 – 6 weeks.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 12-06-2016, 06:16 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thank you very much for the nice welcome, and for the information.

I have been reading the ZEOvit dosing guide back and forth for the last two weeks and I'm starting to get quite familiar with how the method is working.

My K+ level is ~360 at the moment, measured with Salifert. Can I use Pohl's K-Balance to raise the Potassium to the correct level? How much does 1ml K-Balance raise K+ in 100L?

Should I stop dosing Mg and NaCl free salt from the Balling containers?

Is it a good idea to start dosing ZEOstart and ZEObac before I get my reactor and ZEOVit delivered, or should I wait?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 AM
ZEOadmin

Would recommend you to get a bottle of K-Balance Strong to slowly rise the K+ level to ~ 380 mg while 360 mg is not a real issue. You can dose 1 ml / 25 US gallons 2 – 3 x daily. I do not know the concentration of the product so I can not really tell you how much you will need.

Also stop to use the NaCl free salt, it does contain many additional trace elements which darken the tissue. Dosing Mg is also usually not necessary.

Lets wait to start with the dosage when you have running the reactor.

G.Alexander
Old 12-07-2016, 04:33 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thank you very much, that was all for now.

Skickat fr幩 min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
2. Place 0.4 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.
Started up ZEO yesterday evening. Added 0,4L active carbon heated up in R/O water and cooled down over 24 hours. Got white tips on some corals - Poscillopora Damicornis/Montipora Digitata/Acropora Hyacinthus - within 12 hours.
My guess according to the symptoms is overdose of Activated Carbon so I pulled out the sock immediately. I'm using Grotech active carbon, I've been told it's the same manufacturer as KZ's active carbon.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 PM
ZEOadmin

Please also check / measure the flow through your ZeoVit reactor by collecting the water from the reactor outlet for 30 seconds, multiply the volume by 120 and you will get the output per hour.

I have never had issues like this with korallenzucht carbon so I expect the grotech carbon is a different kind but it might indeed be the carbon. If you like to use it furthermore just use 25% of the recommended quantity and add it again in about one week.

G.Alexander
Old 12-10-2016, 12:26 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thanks.
Flow through reactor is ok, collecting ~6.5L per minute.

I will reduce the volume of carbon and slowly raise it a week from now. I'm have not had issues with it before but I have used much smaller volumes.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

One more thing.. the ZEOvit plastic bag says it contains 1000ml zeolites. I poured zeolites in a 1L measure and that was about 60-70% of a 1000ml bag. When you talk about using 1L zeolites, are you referring to a full ZEOvit 1000ml bag?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:23 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

As a reference, here's a FTS of my tank today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FTS-161210.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	19617  
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 PM
ZEOadmin

The bag should contain 1000 ml / 1 Liter of material. Rector flow is OK, you might temporary bring it down to 250 liters / hour if the TN does not stop. Please also make sure to run the reactor with the 3 hour on / off interval.

G.Alexander
Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thanks. Then I'll add the rest of the zeolites.
TN stopped when I removed the carbon. Reactor is running on clock timer. All is looking well.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Matwes Matwes 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Would recommend you to get a bottle of K-Balance Strong to slowly rise the K+ level to ~ 380 mg while 360 mg is not a real issue. You can dose 1 ml / 25 US gallons 2 3 x daily. I do not know the concentration of the product so I can not really tell you how much you will need.
I couldn't get my hands on a bottle of K-Balance Strong from my KZ dealer so I got a bottle of regular K-Balance. Good, or not?