zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 hope to start new tank with zeovit
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 100
0 The Island Reef
Last Post: PmRg
Replies: 159
Views: 28,756
0 200 gallon switch to Zeovit
Last Post: kosiarek84
Replies: 106
Views: 6,754
0 100g SPS Tank
Last Post: AG Reefer
Posted On: 10-16-2018
Replies: 20
Views: 1,194
0 Kh plus
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 10-16-2018
Replies: 15
Views: 353
0 Clarisea Gen2 Automatic Filter Roller Unboxing
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 10-15-2018
Replies: 0
Views: 61
0 moving from aF back to Zoevit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 10-15-2018
Replies: 21
Views: 1,339
0 Syds red sea 170
Posted On: 10-14-2018
Replies: 9
Views: 273
0 A restart
Replies: 118
Views: 10,876
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 187
Views: 15,754
More...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Need assistance in how to use Zeovit Products

Hello,

I have 2 tanks - 1 is an ULNS 300g mixed reef and the other is a high nutrient soft coral tank.

I have a multitude of zeovit products and have decided to start using them on my soft coral tank in an effort to reduce nutrients, since multiple 40% water changes have not reduced it effectively, and I'm worried about the effects on my fish and coral with such big water changes.

On hand, I have the following products:

zeozym
B-balance
sponge power
zeofood7
pohl's xtra
LPS amino acids
iodide complex concentrate
coral booster
iron concentrate
k-balance
bio-mate
strontium
zeostart3
zeolite media

I used this system a while back on another tank, but I forget the particulars.

Here's the info on my tank:
105g system
skimmer
no refugium
filter socks
soft corals only
light/med stocked with fish
tank is approx. 2 years old
high nitrates (40+)
UV sterilizer

I've actually never had any algae outbreaks, likely because I run the UV sterilizer. I only have to clean my glass once every 1-2 weeks.

The corals are growing well - they are all soft corals, so likely prefer the nutrient-rich environment. However, I do not like how high the nutrients are because it could have a negative effect on my fish. My #1 goal would be to reduce nitrates in this tank.

For my other tank (300g ULNS mixed reef), I currently use the aquaforest system. I dose Pro Bio F, Pro Bio S, NP Pro daily, and I dose Vitality, Amino Mix, and Build every 2nd day. I use phosphate minus, zeolites and carbon in my reactor, and I have a large refugium of approx. 20g. My system runs well and has about 0.2 nitrate and 0.05 phosphate. It has filter socks and small UV sterilizer (not inline). I dose seachem kalkwasser for alk/calc and I maintain trace elements only via 5g daily water changes (no dosing). It is medium stocked with fish, has large LPS and soft coral colonies, and I am in the process of growing out SPS frags (some small frags, a couple of small colonies and 1 large colony).

I have many large unopened bottles of the zeovit products, so are you able to tell me what would be the approx. equivalent zeovit products to the AF products I'm already using on that system? I would like to switch over, but I don't want to shock my system since it runs so well.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:36 PM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Here are my exact tank parameters:

1st System:

1. Total water volume of the entire system (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters 300g

2. Water purification (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters RODI system

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technology? Zeolite Reactor

4. You are using the PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Carbon/GFO reactor for 2 years

5. Are you using ozone? No

6. Are you using ultraviolet light? Yes

7. What skimmers do you use (model, rated water) Reef Octopus rated for up to 800g

8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 level? PO4 = 0.05 NO3 = 0.20

9. What is your actual Ca, Alk and Mg content? 420, 7.8, 1350

10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) 20g refugium, DSB and Miracle mud in the fuge

11. Type of light (watt, color temperature, how big, etc.) 8 x 54W ATI T5, 6 blue +, 1 purple +, 1 coral +

12. What coral do you keep? LPS, Soft Coral and SPS

13. Tissue color (light or dark) medium to dark tissue color (not brown)

14. How long has the tank been running? 2 years

15. Why use the ZEOvit system? I currently am using the aquaforest system, but I have many many bottles of zeovit on hand from my old tank, so I wanted to switch over

16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.) Kalkwasser, Aquaforest NP Pro, Pro Bio S, Pro Bio F, Vitality, Build, Amino mix, zeolite, carbon, phosphate minus

17. Live rock (how much, how big, etc.) 200 + pounds of live rock

18. Any existing issues No

19. Description of the problem (deletion of tissue, tissue loss basis, algae, algae, etc.) Tiny amounts of calerpa growing in the display, but that's about it beyond one SPS coral that has a bit of black sponge on it (though it's still growing well and the polyps are still extended through the sponge)

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) I use all aquaforest test kits and they are fairly new. My phosphate kit is a hanna checker.

21. Current dose, quantity and interval (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) I am dosing aquaforest products currently, but would like to dose the equivalent zeovit products

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.) 1.025, 25.5 celcius

23. Which salt brand do you use? Aquaforest reef salt

2nd System:

1. Total water volume of the entire system (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters 105g

2. Water purification (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters RODI

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technology? No

4. You are using the PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Yes, Zeovit, Carbon and GFO reactor - 2 years

5. Are you using ozone? No

Are you using ultraviolet light? Yes

7. What skimmers do you use (model, rated water) Ice Cap rated 120g

8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 level? I don't test phosphate in this tank, NO3 is above 40

9. What is your actual Ca, Alk and Mg content? I don't test - I do weekly water changes in this system instead

10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Skimmer, reactors and filter socks only

11. Type of light (watt, color temperature, how big, etc.) Current USA LED lighting

12. What coral do you keep? Soft coral only

13. Tissue color (light or dark) light-ish (??)

14. How long has the tank been running? 2 years

15. Why use the ZEOvit system? I want to lower nitrate levels

16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.) Aquaforest NP Pro, Pro Bio S and Pro Bio F

17. Live rock (how much, how big, etc.) around 50 - 60 pounds worth, + marinepure media

18. Any existing issues High Nitrates despite large water changes

19. Description of the problem (deletion of tissue, tissue loss basis, algae, algae, etc.) Other than high nitrates, no problems at all - corals grow well, I haven't had any algae issues, but I cannot grow sensitive corals in this type of tank

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Aquaforest - fairly new

21. Current dose, quantity and interval (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) Nothing - I dose Aquaforest currently NP Pro, Pro Bio S and Pro Bio F, along with carbon, zeolite and phosphate minus

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.) 1.026, 25.5 celcius

23. Which salt brand do you use? Aquaforest reef salt
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi CanReef

Do you plan to use ZeoVit on both systems or just at the smaller Soft Coral tank ?

G.Alexander
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hi CanReef

Do you plan to use ZeoVit on both systems or just at the smaller Soft Coral tank ?

G.Alexander
I was thinking to use it for both. On the soft coral tank, my main goal would be to reduce nitrates and phosphates. I checked the phosphate level last night and it is a whopping 1.1!!

My goal on my ULNS would simply be to continue the good work my aquaforest products were doing, so find products/dosing that would closely match what I'm currently using. I don't want to shock the system.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 PM
ZEOadmin

Thank you, a PO4 level o 1.1 mg is massive and I am sure it will take a long time to get it down. Looks like there is PO4 bound in the system, my recommendation for is to bring down the PO4 level with a different method first (absorbers) in conjunction with cleaning the sand for example by regular vacuum it, improve the skimming process etc. Once the PO4 level is stabile in the lower regions it might make sense to replace the absorbers with the ZeoVit components.

For your other system you I would not see a problem to use ZeoVit and replace the other system you already use. Do you plan to completely move to ZeoVit or do you like to use it additional to the other products you already use ?

G.Alexander
Old 09-26-2018, 12:29 AM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Thank you, a PO4 level o 1.1 mg is massive and I am sure it will take a long time to get it down. Looks like there is PO4 bound in the system, my recommendation for is to bring down the PO4 level with a different method first (absorbers) in conjunction with cleaning the sand for example by regular vacuum it, improve the skimming process etc. Once the PO4 level is stabile in the lower regions it might make sense to replace the absorbers with the ZeoVit components.

For your other system you I would not see a problem to use ZeoVit and replace the other system you already use. Do you plan to completely move to ZeoVit or do you like to use it additional to the other products you already use ?

G.Alexander
I knew it was high, hut I was surprized by how high, especially considering several weeks of large water changes coupled with carbon, phosphate minus and zeolites.

I think it is my pukani rock, truth be told....

Interestingly, I've not once ever had nuisance algae in this tank, and the corals look good and grow steadily. It's a bizarre tank.

Okay, I'll continue my effort to reduce nutrients before starting zeovit in that system...

As for my ULNS tank, I plan on switxhing completely, so I would need to know what zeovit products would replace the aquaforest ones I'm currently using and what would I dose for 300g / how often?

Old 09-26-2018, 02:20 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

@I know it's very high, but I was surprised by how high it was, especially considering the large water changes of a few weeks plus carbon, phosphate and zeolite.

What carbon brand do you use? Usually use Kz carbon without po4 (I measured po4 0.00ppm perfect), pay attention to the carbon you use.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:08 AM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
@I know it's very high, but I was surprised by how high it was, especially considering the large water changes of a few weeks plus carbon, phosphate and zeolite.

What carbon brand do you use? Usually use Kz carbon without po4 (I measured po4 0.00ppm perfect), pay attention to the carbon you use.
I currently use aquaforest products on both my tanks, including their zeolite, carbon and phosphate minus

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanReef View Post
I currently use aquaforest products on both my tanks, including their zeolite, carbon and phosphate minus

Products with a big brand of word of mouth are believed to have no problem, just to make a guess. Some carbons do have problems with PO4 release, which eliminates the possibility of activated carbon.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 AM
ZEOadmin

Sounds like a good plan.

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

Lets start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 2.3 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 240 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.9 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 9 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 9 drops. Dose 0.9 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 – 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

When you start ZeoVit stop dosing the other products you use at the moment. I would also recommend to stop using kalkwasser:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.ph...34&postcount=5

Using a CaCO2 reactor or a different Ca / KH dosing system.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 AM
CanReef CanReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan.

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

Lets start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 2.3 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 240 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.9 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 9 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 3 x weekly dosage of 9 drops. Dose 0.9 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 7.5
Ca 400 420 mg
Mg 1250 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

When you start ZeoVit stop dosing the other products you use at the moment. I would also recommend to stop using kalkwasser:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.ph...34&postcount=5

Using a CaCO2 reactor or a different Ca / KH dosing system.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Thanks! Seems straight forward enough. I didn't realize potassium should be tested with ULNS... I'll grab a kit and see where I'm at.

Cheers!