zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 233
Views: 8,936
0 Starting up a new system w/zeovit
Replies: 79
Views: 5,055
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Replies: 21
Views: 722
0 General help!
Replies: 9
Views: 330
9 Zeovit SPS Tissue Loss...Help Needed!
Replies: 7
Views: 172
0 New sps tank
Replies: 53
Views: 1,714
0 Aquarium restart
Replies: 2
Views: 34
0 Questions on cycling the tank with zeovit
Replies: 31
Views: 1,559
0 What Salt Are You Using?
Last Post: markalex
Replies: 2
Views: 46
0 Help cloudy water
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 25
Views: 314
More...

Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Questions on cycling the tank with zeovit

Tank info

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
1100l
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
~800-840l of water
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
Balling
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
no
5. Are you using Ozone
no
6. Are you using UV
no
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
Nyos quantum 220 (rated for 500-2000l)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
have not tested yet
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
Ca 430, Alk 7.6, Mg 1350, K 410
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
None Just skimmer and ~30-40kg of quality liverock in the tank with 8 bags of KZ Coral sand Aragonite 3-5 mm (36,8kg)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
2x Giesemann Vervve 160/180W for main display
2x Maxspect razor 120w 16000k for fragtank
12. What corals do you keep
Mostly SPS with few LPS and hopefully with no softies
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
-
14. How long has the tank been running
7 days
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
Found it extreamly efficent and easy to manage.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
none for now
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
~30-40kg of premium liverock (new)
18. Any present problems
brown algae film on sandbed and few rocks, should be going away soon.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
none
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
royal nature/Salifert relatively new.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
14 day cycle going on day 8
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
salinity 1.026 (35,5PPT), tank temp around 25,5 with +-0,5 swing during the day/night schedule
23. Which salt brand do you use
Royal Nature Ion balanced Pro salt
Thinking of switching back to Reefers best.

Upgraded my tank (Actually have both running now seperately) to system size of 1100l where there is around 800l of water and started the 14day cycle with protein skimmer, zeovit reactor (with 2000ml of zeovit)
day 1 80ml of zeostart3, 40ml zeobak, and 24ml of Sponge power.
days 2 and 3 had a break
day 4-7 now done with 8 drops of bak and spongepower, and total of 1,6ml zeostart3 divided in two doses of 0,8ml daily.

I am getting abit of detritius from the high quality liverock i used to start the tank, is it ok for me to do a waterchange and syphon some of the sand and rocks or should i not touch the tank untill the full 14day cycle is done?

Allso i got quite a few corals in the tank that came with the rocks, seem to be doing fine at the moment (mostly softies with few montipora etc. nothing really delicate) and the rock has different types of algae allready attached to them tought not to scrape them from the rock to give a hiding place for pods etc. Should i start dosing Ca and Alk if the parameters dip before 14day mark?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

You can remove the mulm but do not change to much water at this stage. You can dose a Ca and KH supplement if necessary while the cycle to keep the levels within the recommended ranges.

Run the reactor with continuous flow from the beginning.

G.Alexander
Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

All of the mulm was vacumed without changing water to filtersock and tried not to disturb the sandbed too much. Last night i added Activated carbon and alot more corals (mostly hardy ones with few acro frags to see how they manage) allso few cleaners added (3 snails ~5crabs, 2 sandshifting seastars) and overnight most of the algae has gone away from the sandbed and rocks. Adding few small herbivores today and within the next 5 weeks will be adding 1 or two fish every other day, just so the biological filtration can keep up. will be doing tests daily over the course of adding fish.

Water parameters
Alk 7,1
Ca 420
Mg 1350
K 400

Nearing the 14 day mark (friday) now and any input on dosing schedule? i was thinking something along these lines.

Zeostart 0,6ml twice a day
Sponge power 8 drops every other day (mornings)
Zeobak twice weekly 8 drops
Biomate 8 drops twice weekly
Coral snow plus, 8ml twice a week
Coral vitalizer 16 drops twice a week
Xtra 4ml once a week.

Would you change anything in the dosing regimen?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 AM
ZEOadmin

From day 14 my recommendation for the dosage is:

Zeostart 0,8ml twice a day
Sponge power 8 drops every other day (mornings)
Zeobak 3 x weekly 8 drops
Biomate 16 drops twice weekly
Coral snow plus, 8ml twice a week
Coral vitalizer 16 drops twice a week
Xtra – can be used later if necessary

G.Alexander
Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Hello!
Everything went fine for a while and the past week the Phosphates and Nitrates have risen from 0 No3 to 5 No3 and phosphates are allso higher 0,25. Corals are looking otherwise good but darkening / browning out a little. Adding a little more light to the tank only made algae to grow on the glass.

Dosing is done as you mentioned above.

Allso decided to order abit more sand (50% more so 4 bags and total of 18kg) to add some substrate for bacteria to populate, cause i dont want to add more rockwork, rather keep the scape as it is. should i try to get the fishpoop and other detritius that is settling on the sand to move before adding more sand or just pour it on top?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 AM
ZEOadmin

Would be better to add the fresh sand step by step over some time. Just put it on the top of the old sand but make sure to soak the fresh material well before using it.

G.Alexander
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Bit of a bacterial bloom problem?

Im having a problem with bacterial bloom i assume, when i added the sand few months ago everything turned cloudy for a while and tought its because i rinsed the sand poorly, and still think the start was because of that.
Took about few days to clear out properly but, few weeks later it clouded up again with more like small haze of milkyness in the water, that can only be noticed when lights are on full power (of the day). It allways is milky but it is more noticable when lights on higher power. Tried to stop dosing for 2 days but didnt really help, iv been trying to use fine filtersocks to see if it is sand particles but not that. Even tried to take few litres of water in a clear container and waited for few days to see if it is calcium percipitation or any debri that falls on bottom, nope, water stayed the same, barely visible tho on so small container.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Dosing has not changed from the suggested dosing you gave me for day 14-> apart from dosing kalium suppliment. I change 90% of stones every 5-7 weeks and do the 10 day zeobak dosing following that. Carbon i change every 3-4 weeks few weeks apart from zeovit stone change.

Ca 440,
Mg 1340,
Alk 7,1
Po4 0.1
K 390
No3 5

Salinity 1.027
temp 26.5 Celsius
Old 07-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

you need a small uv sterlizer or you can wait it out
Old 07-19-2017, 05:13 AM
ZEOadmin

I have read in the last couple of years about tanks having the same problem but the quantity is minimal. Many have used UV temporary and the problem was fixed if it was bacterial based, just switch it off for about 2 hours while dosing. Otherwise I do not have a idea what it is, maybe time will also fix it.

G.Alexander
Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

If i decide to wait it out, should i cut down on feeding and maby reduce zeostart 3 quantity for a while so i won't be feeding the bacterial bloom even more?

Or maby ill go with some cheap and small UV like eheim ~9w sterilizer just to be safe. ( i dont want to suffocate my fish )
Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 AM
ZEOadmin

Usually you can try to reduce the carbon source but I would not dose less than 50% of the recommend quantity. Keep a close eye on the PO4 level while doing this.

I am not really confident that this will help as you have stopped dosing all products for a while already which has not cleared up the water.

G.Alexander
Old 08-31-2017, 02:03 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Everything has bounced back and the cloudyness was gone in a week: My solution was as follows. I did two 20% waterchanges 3 days apart by syphoning the sand each time and the cloudyness was gone after the second time.

Now im facing a huge growth burst on corals and strugling to keep my Potassium at 400 or even close. Around a month ago I did my biweekly Potassium test and found out my K was at 350, so started dosing K-Balance strong 4ml twice a day and waited for another week. Did the test and it read 320ppm, now iv spent 2 bottles(2x500ml) of K-Balance strong and still cant get potassium to rise at all. I do skim quite wet (tea-like) substance but can that be the reason? Suggestions needed.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 AM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend to check fresh mixed saltwater to see if the level is low already. Overrated needle wheel skimmers are often a reason for low potassium also from my experience.

It might be also a good idea to cross check the test result with a different kit.

G.Alexander
Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I'v tried two kits and both show the same results (+- 10ppm both salifert tests) And the salt im using is Reefers best, tested that out and it shows 390ppm) So Maby ill try to dial down the skimmer and skim abit thicker
Old 09-08-2017, 03:34 AM
Ramihu Ramihu 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

No change so far, maxing out the dosing for K-balance strong spread out the day (3ml+3ml+3ml) and the K value is rising slowly. Allso the pigment of my corals is darkening, currently im dosing as follows:

For the past month iv dosed as follows:

Zeostart 0,7ml twice a day
Sponge power 8 drops Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun (3-4x weekly)
Zeobak 8 drops Tue,Thur,Sat (3x weekly)
Coral snow plus, 8ml twice a week Mon,Thur (3x weekly)
Coral vitalizer 16 drops Tue,Fri (2x weekly)
Lugols iodine 2 drops Wed,Sat (2x weekly)
K-Balance Strong 3ml 3x daily

Parameters are steady over a month as follows
(first value on 5th of Aug last value 7th of sept)

Salinity 1.026-1.026 (Refractometer)
Calcium 420-450 (Salifert + royal nature)
Alkalinity 7.2-7.6 (Salifert+Royal nature)
Potassium 340-355 (Salifert)
Po4 0-0 (Salifert)
No3 0-0 (Salifert)

Iodine 0.03-0.06 ppm (red sea) Iv noticed that dosing 2 drops twice a week keeps the iodine close to 0.06 but the testkit is quite hard to read

I have added Quite alot of corals to the tank recently (week ago) and they have now started to show darkening in the coral tissue aswell.

I do a 75l waterchange weekly and i vacume 50% of the sand i can reach every water change to take out most of the detritius buildup.

Sidenote: Allso iv recently added more flow trough the sump from ~2000l/h to 8000l/h and increased the flow in the aquarium by ~50% from 50% power (2x Gyre FX150) to 75% power. The watermovement has been greatly increased and added some alternated movement trough the tank. Lighting has been changed from Vervve to AI hydra 26 HD:s to get more even spread in the tank(4 of them).

Any suggestions on what to do with the coral darkening?