zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Dosing adjustment after 14 day cycle
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 17
Views: 473
0 new to zeovit
Replies: 136
Views: 12,419
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 230
Views: 22,151
0 a new tank with Zeo system,Some questions
Replies: 12
Views: 280
0 HELP WITH DOSING PLEASE!
Replies: 55
Views: 1,701
0 macro element dosing
Last Post: Meir
Replies: 3
Views: 147
0 moving from aF back to Zoevit
Last Post: chercm
Replies: 74
Views: 4,881
0 Day 9 of 14 day Zeocycle
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 16
Views: 440
0 Back on Reefing
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 2
Views: 99
0 Featured Tank . Richard Wagemaker (xixau) - Central Coast - Australia
Last Post: ComFi
Replies: 39
Views: 28,048
More...
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Chris Jensen Chris Jensen ثeu
Stick_Killer

Default need suggestions for zeovit 220gal reef

I've been using zeovit to get to try to get rid of a massive hair algae problem. ATM my nitrate is 2ppm and phosphate is .04 ppm on my 220 gallon reeftank. I'm wanting to start adding in the other zeovit items to maximize coral growth, color and vitality. Kinda unsure which are the most important to use for a full sps tank with few zoanthids and other lps.
It's so confusing since there are soo many additives to buy.. I'm unsure if some are better than others or if some are repetitive?

This is my information.
Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
240-250g

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
240-250g

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
yes georeef calc reactor 618 double chamber

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
just the zeolith reactor 2.5 L of zeolith stones

5. Are you using Ozone
No

6. Are you using UV
No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)

Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer /w wiper

Dimmensions:
Super Cone Body: 8.27 to 5.12in
Footprint: 12.8in x 10in
Neck Size: 4.75in
Total Height: 23.6in
Output Size: 50mm / 1.5in

Pump Information:
Reef Octopus VarioS-4S Pinwheel Pump
Power Consumption: 25-40watts
Air Draw: 800-1500 lph / 28-52 SCFH*
Water Draw: 422gph
*Air and water results will vary depend

Filtration Ratings:
400 Gallon Light Filtration Demand
300 Gallon Medium Filtration Demand
200 Gallon Heavy Filtration Demand

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
.02 ppm

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
430cal, 8.0, 1550mag

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
DSB, a skimmer and zeolith reactor
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
Giessmann infinity 3-250 watt hqi phoenix 14k & 4 80 watt t5 bulbs
4-ati blue plus
1 72" reefbrite XHO blue led strip

12. What corals do you keep
I want an Sps dominant tank with some Lps

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
light

14. How long has the tank been running
since February 2017

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
Low nutrient system, coral growth and health.

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
so far just dosing (first 3 im dosing the minimum dosages 3 times weekly)zeobak, Zeo food7, zeostart3, and 10ml coral snow twice a week

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
Using macro rocks dry rock 150-170lbs and 40lbs of pukani liverock

18. Any present problems
light tissue color in sps

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) hair algae that wont go away

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
red sea, and salifert all brand new less then 2 months old

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood7, ZEOstart, cyano clean)
so far just dosing (first 3 im dosing the minimum dosages 3 times weekly)zeobak, Zeo food7, zeostart3 cyano clean, and 10ml coral snow twice a week

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
1.026 salinity, 77.5f

23. Which salt brand do you use
Been using fritz rpm salt since the beginning
4" deep sand bed of Fiji pink and bahama oolitic
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Hello, what kind of hair algae are there pictures? Thank you.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Stick_Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
Hello, what kind of hair algae are there pictures? Thank you.
I havent had my metal halides on in months trying to kill off thise nasty gha. Ive heard that the red spectrum fuels it so ive just been using my reefbrite xho blue leds for 6-7 hrs a day. I just started back up my zeolith reactor 2 weeks ago. So probably will take a while to get rid of this plague
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F745E1F0-1556-42D1-AF6C-82C876C422B3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	21718  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Thank you for your picture, the picture is very blue is not very clear, Ok first let us check if the Ro water device is good, I don't know your dose and add, if you use Zeo AA, Xtra, FID, IRON,Food7, temporarily stop adding or reduce 1 /2 dose. It is recommended that you currently only use the KZ base product.

The amount and flow rate of Zeo zeolite, the amount and usage of Zeo activated carbon, and the dose and frequency of Zeo base 4.

Every week WC, Skimmer is damp, if you are willing to use Zeo Coral Snow 1ml = 100L = 25 US gallons. 2 times a week. You can start with 0.5ml=100L=25 US gallons

Can you give a clearer white picture of the entire tank, and a picture of sump.

Last edited by jacky; 11-09-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Hello Chris, as long as you have issues with hair algae it does not make sense to improve coral coloration with additional elements. Many of them will improve the growth of the algae. My recommendation is to first get rid of the algae and than start to work on coral coloration. Because of the light tissue color of your corals I would first recommend to check the K+ level (potassium).

The Mg level is high, have you supplemented this element to get rid of the algae ?

I do not have experience with the kind of rock you use but might there be any problem with it ? Does the algae also grow on other parts except the dry rocks in your system ?

The DSB is something I would personally not use in conjunction with Zeovit, just something to keep in mind, you might remove it later.

G.Alexander
Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 AM
Stick_Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hello Chris, as long as you have issues with hair algae it does not make sense to improve coral coloration with additional elements. Many of them will improve the growth of the algae. My recommendation is to first get rid of the algae and than start to work on coral coloration. Because of the light tissue color of your corals I would first recommend to check the K+ level (potassium).

The Mg level is high, have you supplemented this element to get rid of the algae ?

I do not have experience with the kind of rock you use but might there be any problem with it ? Does the algae also grow on other parts except the dry rocks in your system ?

The DSB is something I would personally not use in conjunction with Zeovit, just something to keep in mind, you might remove it later.

G.Alexander
yes that is my main goal at the moment to remove the GHA. Its plagued me for the past 6-7 months now and I'm just sick of looking at it. Never have had this problem before in 15+ years of keeping saltwater tanks. Which leads me to believe it has to be coming from inside the Dryrock I added (never have used dry rock before) The GHA also grows on the back wall of my tank as well. The age of the system is around 18 months. The lps has excellent color. Guess they are liking the extra nutrients, lol But currently I only have one SPS currently testing my waters that is a orange digitata. it's very pale with hardly any polyp extension. I'm sure even though my tank is reading .04 ppm phosphate its probably much higher but the hair algae has it all contained as a food source. Does Korralen zucht make anything that can out compete this crud? Tommrow im going to take all 250lbs of my live rock out of the tank and soak each piece in a bin of pure 3% hydrogen peroxide for 10 mins each piece as this destroys the GHA cells and it will wither and die within 48 hrs. The only bad problem is it will come back. I have already been down this road before 2 months ago I did this and it came back within 3 weeks. I didn't have the zeolith reactor going at the time though. I'm hoping my zeolith reactor can out compete the GHA for nutrients. Please help me figure out how to get these nutrients out of my tank. I feel bad because I have been starving my fish just to try to get rid of the stuff. The high magnesium is from having ZEOmag in my calcium reactor along with using a salt that has 1500 mag already. I bought 3 buckets of Tropic marin pro reef which is what I was using before and had stellar results with zeovit. I has low alk 6-7, low calc of 380, and low mag maybe 1200? which works perfect for people who have calc reactors and wish to run zeovit system. should be here in another 3-4 days then I can start the massive waterchanges again to get the balance right in my system.
thanks..
Old 11-10-2018, 08:02 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

GHA = most of the reason is due to the relationship of organic matter

DSB=has a very strong nutrient salt treatment after it matures, and it is also a place to accumulate organic matter.

Any system needs maintenance. Most people don't worry about NP, but they are more concerned about organic matter handling.

The reasons for GHA can be many - the number of fish, tank filtration cycle efficiency, feeding, accumulation, light, poor Ro water, ....

The high data of Mg - I believe this is not the main reason to control and slow down their core, you should solve the problem from the source. Don't forget that high Mg can also cause the top of the coral to burn.

As your narrative - also indicates that the DSB has not fully utilized its performance, perhaps which side is set wrong, or...

You can choose some functional creatures to slow them down, but you still need to deal with them from the source. Confirm that Ro water is good, Zeo Coral Snow, Skimmer wet, reduce feeding, reduce nutrient supplements, increase light,The use of KZ Foundation 4 , The means of output are strengthened.

I don't know if the DSB and the KZ system conflict with each other. But the cause of GHA generation is not the relationship of the system (maybe)

---

@Tommrow I will take all 250 pounds of live rock out of the can and soak each piece in a bucket of pure 3% hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes each, as this will destroy the GHA cells and it will die in 48 hours. . The only bad question is that it will come back. I have already passed this road 2 months ago, I did it, it came back in 3 weeks.

It is not recommended, this does not inevitably cause some organisms to die. If you put them back in the tank, this affects the whole biology, the death of plankton animals, and may even lead to the outbreak of Cyanobacteria. I hope that you think again

GHA is not a real danger to tanks, it is solved from the source, not always turbulent to the system. This will be better.Functional organisms, reducing nutrients, purification of water, good bacteria, take time

Last edited by jacky; 11-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Main Problem seems to be that the PO4 is bound inside the rocks and algae does pick it up directly from the surface of the rocks. A really difficult situation as any kind of PO4 reduction in the water column will not have much of a impact to the algae. Removing all the rocks dipping them will be a heavy impact to the biology which is also not ideal.

I would personally try to clean the rocks in the tank manually regular (once or twice per week). I know this is a lot of work with this system size. If the algae are shorter urchins (Mespilia globulus, Tripneustes gratilla) will eat them. In addition dosing Coral Snow or Coral Snow Plus daily or every other day for some time will support this process.

Last alternative is removing all rocks and the DSB, get good quality live rock and start a fresh system.

I am sure that the problem can not be fixed by just changing the dosing regimen. At the moment I would recommend to stop dosing ZeoFood, just ZeoBac, ZeoStart and SpongePower if you already have it.

G.Alexander