zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 new to zeovit
Last Post: Kproescher
Posted On: Today
Replies: 141
Views: 12,710
0 Back on Reefing
Last Post: DG
Replies: 3
Views: 128
0 Dosing adjustment after 14 day cycle
Last Post: darius
Replies: 19
Views: 622
0 PH too low at 7.87?
Last Post: Michal
Replies: 2
Views: 80
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 233
Views: 22,560
0 moving from aF back to Zoevit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 77
Views: 5,140
0 macro element dosing
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 4
Views: 215
0 Bonus Buys
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 a new tank with Zeo system,Some questions
Replies: 12
Views: 323
0 HELP WITH DOSING PLEASE!
Replies: 55
Views: 1,851
More...

Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Dosing adjustment after 14 day cycle

Hi All,

I have been out of the hobby for several years now. I installed a new system a few weeks ago. I need some help with the dosing as 1 week after a 14 day cycle, the nitrate level is at around 0 but the phosphate levels are high. The Hanna Phosphorus colorimeter shows 125 ppb. I am getting signs of green diatoms on the glass and hair algae on the live rock. I am currently running 0.75L of Zeolit in the Zeovit reactor at around 350L/hour and I have 300g of carbon in the sump. I am thinking of reducing the flow rate of the Zeovit reactor to regain the Nitrates. Also, I bought a bottle of BioMate which I will start dosing 6 drops a day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darius

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 425L
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 400L approx.
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No dosing at the moment.
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - NO
5. Are you using Ozone - NO
6. Are you using UV - NO
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Nyos Quantum 160

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO: 120 ppb hanna phosphorus )NO3: 0 Red Sea
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Ca: 420 (salifert) Alk:9 (salifert) Mg:1440 (salifert)
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) NONE
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - 2x AI Hydra 52 HD
12. What corals do you keep? Few frags
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - Light
14. How long has the tank been running - 3 weeks
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - Colour of SPS
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) NO
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 30kg display mature.
18. Any present problems - Signs of green diatoms and hair algae
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - NO
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) -
Hanna, Red sea
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - 4 drops of zeobak 1x day, 4 drops of zeofood7 1x a week, 0'4ml of zeostart x2 daily.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - Salinity: 1.0259, Temp: 25-26c, pH: 7.85-8.20, Redox: 300
23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea blue bucket.

Last edited by darius; 11-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Coral snow plus or GFO. Any idea where those phosphates is coming from?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I think I know where they came from. I had extra live rock which I left in the sump after setting up the system. When I took it out, I noticed a large piece of sponge rotting away and smelling awful. I threw the rock out and measured the phosphate on the day, which were off the scale. It has come down quite a bit now but I am at a massive imbalance between the nitrates and phosphates.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Coral snow plus or GFO. Any idea where those phosphates is coming from?
I have ordered the coral snow. Any comment on decreasing the flow rate of the reactor?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Did you order the plus variety as there are two different kinds of snow. As for the reactor once its dialed in you pretty much forget it. Only newly used stones will decrease PO4 at least I think thats the case.
When was the last change of stones?
Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 PM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Did you order the plus variety as there are two different kinds of snow. As for the reactor once its dialed in you pretty much forget it. Only newly used stones will decrease PO4 at least I think thats the case.
When was the last change of stones?
I ordered the plus. It is a brand new system so the stones are just over 3 weeks old. I was testing for nitrites, nitrates and ammonia for the first 2 weeks. The nitrites and ammonia were completely gone after a week and nitrates were dropping rapidly. All of that was despite the decay of the sponge in the sump. So it looks like the carbon dosing was doing its job but the phosphate stockpiled. Now I have cyano and diatom issues with no nitrates. That was why I considered decreasing the flow rate. Anyway, I will probably end up using resin and the snow plus as you suggested. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

The cyano happens in all zeovit tanks. Just because the start3 is full of nitrate and fuels it like crazy
Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I would recommend to continue as follows:

Run 1 liter ZeoVit with a constant water flow of 400 liters per hour through the reactor
Dose 4 drops ZeoBac every other day
Dose 0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily
Dose 4 drops SpongePower every other day
Dose 8 drops BioMate every other day
Run 0.4 liters carbon passively flown in the sump

Stop dosing ZeoFood at the moment until the system runs nutrient poor stabile and corals start to get lighter tissue.

G.Alexander
Old 11-06-2018, 02:36 PM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I would recommend to continue as follows:

Run 1 liter ZeoVit with a constant water flow of 400 liters per hour through the reactor
Dose 4 drops ZeoBac every other day
Dose 0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily
Dose 4 drops SpongePower every other day
Dose 8 drops BioMate every other day
Run 0.4 liters carbon passively flown in the sump

Stop dosing ZeoFood at the moment until the system runs nutrient poor stabile and corals start to get lighter tissue.

G.Alexander

Thanks for the info. Do you think I should add the coral snow plus as per Bugger's suggestion? I have quite a bit of cyano on the rocks and sand. The few sps frags I have seem very happy with vibrant colours. Cheers.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:17 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, tank time is about 3 weeks. This is normal. As long as you follow the recommendations of G., you can usually reduce the nutrition of the water. You should not reduce the flow of the zeolite reactor, usually 400 liters per hour, and it should be continuous flow. G. The dose given is to help you lower the PO4. Of course if you prefer Normal Coral Snow 1ml=100L 2 times a week is very good, and adjust the skimmer wet if you have used the sand siphon to vacuum. It is also good if you are willing to add some functional animals.

When the water quality of PO4 reaches the standard, the coral tissue will start to become lighter. Please also note that the reduction rate of PO4 should not be too fast or use other methods, which may put pressure on the coral. Also note the appropriate level of K+ levels of 380 mg and Kh mg ca.

When the water quality is low in malnutrition, the coral tissue becomes lighter, and good PE and polyps grow. This is the second stage of "feeding".
Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

After the 30th day, the replacement of the first zeolite replacement 90% retained the old 10%, followed by Zeo Bac 4 drops per day for a total of 10 days. Usually after 2 weeks, if the corals are healthy, switch the continuous flow of zeolite.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you think I should add the coral snow plus as per Bugger's suggestion? I have quite a bit of cyano on the rocks and sand. The few sps frags I have seem very happy with vibrant colours. Cheers.
I do not see a problem to use it additional however my advise would be to start slow, increasing the quantity if necessary. 1/3 of the recommended dosage would be a good start, observe your corals after the dosage.

G.Alexander
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Hi All,
It has been 9 days and the Phosphate has not budged from 0.1 ppm. I have set up my skimmer to skim wet and I am cleaning it regularly. I am keeping fish feeding to the minimum. I have used coral snow plus every 3 days but it did not make a difference. I double checked the RO water and it has no phosphate. The live rock is completely clean with no algae or diatoms so I don't think it is leaking anything out. I am used KZ sand so it is unlikely to be due to that. I am puzzled as to the cause of this. Maybe the nitrates are too low so the system is not able to process Phosphate. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

The change from November 5 to the present is "I see signs of green algae on the glass and hair algae on live rock." By the present state, algae have subsided. This is a great thing, as time goes by. Tank is still young PO4=0.1, I think it is normal and takes time.

Make sure the skimmer outlet is damp, what is your current potion dose, have you replaced the first Zeo zeolite?

400L water volume, 400 liters of constant water flow through the reactor
Drop 4 drops of ZeoBac every other day
Daily dose of 0.4 ml ZeoStart3, a total of 0.8 ml a day
Drop 4 drops of SpongePower every other day
Take 8 drops of BioMate every other day
Passively operate 0.4 liters of carbon

Continue to do this dose program, I believe that in the following months, it will definitely help.

Give tank more time
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
darius darius 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
The change from November 5 to the present is "I see signs of green algae on the glass and hair algae on live rock." By the present state, algae have subsided. This is a great thing, as time goes by. Tank is still young PO4=0.1, I think it is normal and takes time.

Make sure the skimmer outlet is damp, what is your current potion dose, have you replaced the first Zeo zeolite?

400L water volume, 400 liters of constant water flow through the reactor
Drop 4 drops of ZeoBac every other day
Daily dose of 0.4 ml ZeoStart3, a total of 0.8 ml a day
Drop 4 drops of SpongePower every other day
Take 8 drops of BioMate every other day
Passively operate 0.4 liters of carbon

Continue to do this dose program, I believe that in the following months, it will definitely help.

Give tank more time
Thanks for your input. I am dosing exactly as you described with the exception of ZeoBac, which I am dosing everyday after changing the Zeolite a few days ago. Additionally, I am dosing Coral Snow Plus 4 ml every 3 days. I am still getting green and brown algae on the glass. The live rock is clean as I have two Tangs which I introduced a two weeks ago. I have been dosing this way for almost two weeks but it has not affected Phosphate levels. I am not sure how the phosphate reduction works with the ZeoVit system, so I don't know how those levels will start to drop months from now. I am no expert but I feel that I should have seen a slight movement in Phosphate levels given my dosing and feeding routine.