zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Zeovit - Werte permanent zu niedrig
Last Post: JC1300
Posted On: Today
Replies: 7
Views: 405
0 New ZeoVit tank
Last Post: Scribe
Posted On: Today
Replies: 8
Views: 121
0 help with us please
Last Post: sam1980
Posted On: Today
Replies: 9
Views: 313
0 Day 9 of 14 day Zeocycle
Last Post: Saluqui
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 97
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 224
Views: 20,244
0 40B Reef Journal
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 9
Views: 188
0 Trying to lower Phosphate
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 60
Views: 4,072
0 You Have Till Midnight- 12% OFF Veterans Day SALE
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 190g SPS tank in Taiwan
Last Post: blackizzz
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 76
Views: 16,433
0 new 75 gallon tank
Last Post: esco
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 44
Views: 4,780
More...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 PM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I used to have algae issues in my tank tried everything. I had one fox face and three damsels. I got rid of the foxface and switched over my tank to a new tank never had a problem since
I had algae problems until I started using Vibrant & got the Foxface, now I dont
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,127
Default

If there is no algae issue excess nitrate shouldent be much of a problem
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 PM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
If there is no algae issue excess nitrate shouldent be much of a problem
thats what Ive been trying to figure out for a long time now but cant seem to put my finger on it so here I am. something is causing STN in every SPS or LPS I add. like I said earlier the softies have no problem.
I am not a scientist or biologist so MP may or may not have issues with leaching AL but there are hundreds of posts around that say their tanks are flourishing with it, I dont know. but what I do know is this industry has no regulations so manufacturers can say whatever they want about the products they sell
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,127
Default

Where or who are you buying your corals from
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 PM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Where or who are you buying your corals from
I bought them from an independent store who aquacultured them, he was in business for 23 yrs until last weekend in London ON. I have also bought from fragbox.ca on occasion out of Toronto
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,127
Default

I bought from frag box about two months ago. Its not just you I lost all those corals.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I bought from frag box about two months ago. Its not just you I lost all those corals.
I will say they were healthy looking when they arrived & it did take a couple months before STN set in & they went downhill
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,127
Default

Its impossible to tell health from just polyp extenstion. I've had corals on the verge of death still expand
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 PM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Its impossible to tell health from just polyp extenstion. I've had corals on the verge of death still expand
u have a point
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 AM
blackizzz blackizzz ثeuW
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 353
Default

Im assuming you run RO/DI water?

When the SPS/LPS STN/RTN, do the tissue recede from the tips or the base?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 35,170
Default

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 1.2 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 130 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.5 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 5 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 5 drops. Dose 0.5 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

4. Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 – 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

Also stop dosing everything else except you Ca and KH supplement you already use at the moment. As I do not have my own experiences with the marine block material you use but hear from a couple of people that they can leach harmful substances it might also be better to remove it.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-26-2018, 07:56 AM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

[QUOTE=blackizzz;337418]Im assuming you run RO/DI water?

When the SPS/LPS STN/RTN, do the tissue recede from the tips or the base?[/
when I first put them in the DT they are fine for a month or so, then they start to retract/no extension for a few weeks, then the recession starts & the base turns white
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 AM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 1.2 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 130 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.5 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 5 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 3 x weekly dosage of 5 drops. Dose 0.5 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

4. Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 7.5
Ca 400 420 mg
Mg 1250 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

Also stop dosing everything else except you Ca and KH supplement you already use at the moment. As I do not have my own experiences with the marine block material you use but hear from a couple of people that they can leach harmful substances it might also be better to remove it.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
I removed the MP last night, there are reports of suspected leaching but there are thousands more that swear by it. I will get some pics of the system & post them for further assessment by the people that know here
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 AM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

[QUOTE=JMac;337425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackizzz View Post
Im assuming you run RO/DI water?

When the SPS/LPS STN/RTN, do the tissue recede from the tips or the base?[/
when I first put them in the DT they are fine for a month or so, then they start to retract/no extension for a few weeks, then the recession starts & the base turns white
yes I run RO/DI, checked it at the output yesterday & PO4 & NO3 were undetectable with Salifert & Hanna Checker kits
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:02 AM
JMac JMac ثeuW
Almost a ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 148
Default

here are some pics of the system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187(1).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	21093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188(1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	21094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	21095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	21096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194(1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	21097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	21098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196(1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	21099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	21100  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7, Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by ZeoVit.com