zeovit.com Prolineaquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 The Dreaded Dino and Zeovit Paradox
Last Post: iamchadster
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 384
0 Cloudy Water
Last Post: jpukla
Replies: 14
Views: 755
0 Starting Zeovit on a new tank and need some help.
Last Post: Lisavet2000
Replies: 43
Views: 2,350
0 New to the forum hybrid zeovit
Last Post: Da8
Replies: 6
Views: 191
0 NEW Video & Contest: Aqamai KPS Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 NEW VID & GIVEAWAY: Finnex LED Nano Reef Tank Lighting
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 55
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Keith Behrle
Replies: 56
Views: 3,280
0 Selbstreinigender Zeolithfilter
Last Post: Spooner
Replies: 14
Views: 1,445
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: Mallard
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: Strazz
Replies: 35
Views: 1,215
More...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 PM
gguertin145 gguertin145 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default 180 Convert to Zeo from Turf Scrubber

I have a 180 gallon tank that has been running and neglected for about 5 years. I have pulled all of my rock out of the tank and bleached it and it is currently in another tank with a turf scrubber as well removing any remaining phosphates but is about ready to go in the tank. I have been siphoning the sand weekly for 2 months about 30 gallons a week. This weekend I am pulling out remaining soft corals and will go 100% SPS. I have 15 frags on a frag rack right now with the sand and a turf scrubber that is it in the tank but I have purchased everything and want to convert to Zeo so I am looking for advice on the conversion. I am hoping that since both Zeo and the Turf Scrubber I have been told do not require live rock I can continue running the Turf Scrubber until Zeo is acclimated and avoid any cycling issue but looking for advice.

My tank description:
1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
220 galoons

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liters
~180g

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
No

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
No

5. Are you using Ozone
No

6. Are you using UV
No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
Reef Octopus 3000int
Water Draw: 425 GPH / 1,600 LPH
Air Draw: 1,100 LPH / 39 SCFH

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
PO4 - 0
NO3 - 1, 10 on low range salifert I think that reads as 1 though.

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
CA 460
Mg 1470
Alk 9.4

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
4 cube a day turf scrubber, Skimmer, 30 gallon water change per week, Carbon in a reactor with maxi jet turned low.

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
250w Radium and 4 140w VHO

12. What corals do you keep
15 SPS frags

14. How long has the tank been running
5 years

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
Coral Growth and Color

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
None yet however I would like to use other Zeo additives when I have the base down.

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
Currently nothing but in 3-4 weeks I will add 120lbs of rock that has been bleached, cooked, and I am going to drill and peg the aquascape

18. Any present problems
Hair algae on 1 remaining rock and side glass, had a brown slime but after getting the skimmer tuned in it seems to have gone away.

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
alk - Hanna
Phosphorus ULR - Hanna
Calcium - API
Mag - Salifert
Nitrate - Salifert

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
Didn't start yet

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Salinty is 1.025
Temp 78.5
23. Which salt brand do you use
Instant Ocean

I can get any other info you need but from what I read in the directions I would think I could use plan B? I want to be careful with all the new frags too so curious if I should start slower.

Last edited by gguertin145; 11-01-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 1.7 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 175 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.6 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 7 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 7 drops. Dose 0.66 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

I do not have personal experience with the combination of ZeoVit and AlgaeScrubber Systems but basically it should work.

This is the recommendation if you have animals in the system already. IMO a better decision is to remove the animals for some time and cycle the system from the scratch:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=7

This would be my recommendation as you have not added your dry rocks already. Once the system runs stabile which will take some month as you have not used LiveRock you can try to add corals step by step.

G.Alexander
Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Is there a recommended return pump speed or tank turnover time through sump?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
Is there a recommended return pump speed or tank turnover time through sump?

1 return pump speed

2 Which potassium supplement would you get? It looks like zeo has a few options.

3 I see a lot of people using sponge power should that be added to the list or wait until I am acclimated to zeo all the way.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:21 AM
ZEOadmin

The dimension of the return pump is the same as for every other system also. I usually have used a pump which has moved the tank volume 4 – 6 x per hour.

Just dose potassium if the level is lower than 380 mg. I just have experience with K-Balance Strong which has worked well for me.

SpongePower does have a positive side effect to the biology so if you like to use it you can dose 7 drops every other day additional.

G.Alexander
Old 11-03-2017, 06:14 PM
ZEOhead in Training

So I dont have any baffles in my sump . I read I could run half the amount in a reactor is that ok? What flow through the reactor should I have? I have a flow meter so I can set it to whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
So I dont have any baffles in my sump . I read I could run half the amount in a reactor is that ok? What flow through the reactor should I have? I have a flow meter so I can set it to whatever.

Carbon at .3 I wasnt clear.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:47 PM
ZEOadmin

If you flow the carbon passive use 0.6 liters replace it every 4 weeks. If you flow the carbon active like in a reactor just use 50% so 0.3 liters replaced every 3 weeks – flow ~ 300 liters per hour.

G.Alexander
Old 11-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Minichou Minichou 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

What made you go from your ATS to Zeovit?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 AM
ZEOhead in Training

More control for if something happens (cyano or other).

A better community of people to ask questions.

Switching to SPS dominate tank and feel the best are on Zeo. The colors are for sure better then a ATS tank.

I liked the turf scrubber for simplicity but in the end I feel I was still always on edge or fighting algae.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:01 PM
ZEOhead in Training

I sent my Instant Ocean salt home with my Dad tonight and bought 2 buckets of Red Sea blue bucket I couldn't find anyone in the US that had the Reefers Best in stock hopefully that will help lower my Alk.

Not great pictures and its really messy been a complete overhaul to what it was 2 months ago but pictures of my now 180g sps frag tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5055.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	20338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	20339  
Old 11-05-2017, 04:35 PM
ZEOhead in Training

So I have been trying to read as much as I can and saw that its recommended not to use a needle wheel skimmer. I am using a bubble blaster 3000 pump on my skimmer which is a needle wheel pump is there a modification that people running zeo are doing for a pump like that?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 AM
ZEOadmin

If a heavy overrated needle wheel skimmer is used the potassium level, a very important element, does usually drop constant and need to be supplemented. Constant light tissue and TN are another possibility from my experience but that has nothing to do with zeovit system itself, it is more the nutrient poor environment. I would recommend you to see how things are going with your skimmer, if necessary you can later do adjustments.

G.Alexander
Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 AM
ZEOhead in Training

I noticed this morning when the lights were out that I had some stuff floating around in the tank. With the lights on it does not look as bad but there are what looks like a hair with algae on it floating around the tank... maybe not the best description but all I can think of. Should I stop dosing or is this normal?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:24 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Just adding to this but by mid day I do not see it anymore... I am wondering if its not algae from the scrubber or sand getting weak and getting blown around?