zeovit.com Premium Aquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 The Dreaded Dino and Zeovit Paradox
Last Post: iamchadster
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 385
0 Cloudy Water
Last Post: jpukla
Replies: 14
Views: 756
0 Starting Zeovit on a new tank and need some help.
Last Post: Lisavet2000
Replies: 43
Views: 2,351
0 New to the forum hybrid zeovit
Last Post: Da8
Replies: 6
Views: 191
0 NEW Video & Contest: Aqamai KPS Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 NEW VID & GIVEAWAY: Finnex LED Nano Reef Tank Lighting
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 55
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Keith Behrle
Replies: 56
Views: 3,280
0 Selbstreinigender Zeolithfilter
Last Post: Spooner
Replies: 14
Views: 1,445
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: Mallard
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: Strazz
Replies: 35
Views: 1,215
More...
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 AM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Talking My new "Texas 210 Gallon"

Good morning.

I have had my tank up and running exactly 7 days. Here is the info on such:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter --- 245 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter --- +/-220 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique --- 2-part (not in use yet)
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) --- No
5. Are you using Ozone --- No
6. Are you using UV --- No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) --- KZ Revolution S
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels --- Test kit arrives tomorrow
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels --- Have not tested yet (new tank)
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) --- None
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) --- 2 Kessil AP700's (running at 80%, 12 hours a day)
12. What corals do you keep --- None yet, but planning on SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) --- N/A
14. How long has the tank been running --- 7 days
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system --- Had great results 10 years ago (but then the kids came and the tank had to go )
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) --- None
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) --- 100 pounds live rock from local fish store
18. Any present problems --- I am just starting to have a brown algae bloom on rocks and sand, also a little green hair algae...
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) --- I am thinking it is a diatom bloom
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) --- Test kit arriving tomorrow, will post results.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) --- 2 bags ZEOvit in 3 liter Vertex reactor, 8 drops ZEObak (1 time per day), 8 drops Sponge Power (1 time per day) and 1ml ZEOstart (two times per day)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) --- Temp is between 80 and 81 degrees Fahrenheit. I have ordered a couple fans to get this down to 79. They come tomorrow.
23. Which salt brand do you use --- Red Sean Salt (blue bucket)

I wanted to check if there was anything I should change, and if the current diatom/brown algae bloom was 'normal' for this point in the process. Do I need to brush it off the rocks?

Thanks for your time!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:12 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Welcome back John !

All is looking good, I would just recommend to reduce ZeoStart to 2 x 0.8 ml daily.

Good luck for your new project, maybe it is already a good time to add some snails to prevent the hair algae you have mention.

G.Alexander
Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 AM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thank you for the guidance GA. I will reduce ZEOStart to 0.8ml twice a day.

I am going to test my water parameters this evening to see how the tank cycling is going. I am hopeful that I can add some fish and snails this weekend.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 PM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

This weekend I added 4 fish to the tank. It has been set up for two weeks now, and I know have a yellow tang, two clown fish and a blond naso tang.

I have a couple questions:

1 - My ph stays between 7.85 and 8.05. Is this a problem? If so, is there anything I can do? I already have a CO2 scrubber on the protein skimmer that helped some.

2 - Assuming the water chemistry stays good for the next couple of days, is it alright to add a few more finish in about a week?

Thank you.

Last edited by johntekin; 09-24-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 AM
ZEOadmin

The PH level is fine, no worry and no reason to change anything. In the beginning it is better to add fish slowly step by step so not to much in a shorter period at once as the systems biology is still not really stabile and still building up. Lets try to add the first test corals next week instead.

G.Alexander
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thanks for the advice, Alexander.

Should I start with a couple montipora or do you recommend a different SPS variety?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 AM
ZEOadmin

Montipora is a good idea

G.Alexander
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 PM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

I plan to add 10 small montipora frags in the next couple days. All my amonia, nitrite and nitrate are at 0. I am not having any algae problems. The tank is exactly 15 days old. Only thing I need to do is raise my alkalinity from 5.5 to 7.0.

I am currently dosing 0.8ml ZEOstart twice daily, 8 drops spounge power once daily and 8 drop zeobak once daily. Any dosing changes or recommendations before I add the frags?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 AM
ZEOadmin

At the moment no changes are necessary, lets continue dosing the basics as planned.

G.Alexander
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 PM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Issue #1:
So I am getting ready to order my first coral frags, and all water parameters appear to be in check except my phosphate... I tested it this evening with my Hannah Phosphate Checker at it was at 0.11. Is that going to be problematic? Is that normal for a 2 week old tank?

Issue #2:
About 5 days ago, I added my first 4 fish: 1 naso tang, 1 yellow tang and 2 clown fish. The clown fish are eating normal. I have seen the naso tang and the yellow tang both frequently picking at the live rock (I only have 100 pounds in my 210 gallon tank), but I can't get them to eat any offered food. I have tried flake, brine shrimp and sheets of seaweed on a clip. Is this a concern that they are not eating? Any ideas on what I could try feeding them?

As always, thanks for your time and feedback!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 AM
ZEOadmin

The elevated PO4 level might be a result of the fish and their food. The tank is still very sensitive if it comes to biology so if you feed the fish to much and if the food is floating into the rockworks nutrients will increase quick so basically that is not optimal. You might try to place a algae leave directly into the rockwork, use a smaller piece of rock and wrap around of a rubber band which you remove later to attach the algae leave.

G.Alexander
Old 09-28-2017, 09:02 AM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thanks for the advise. I will give that a try with the food.

Should I hold off on adding any SPS corals with the current phosphate reading of 0.11? Also, is there any measure I can take to help get this phosphate down (aside from reducing any uneaten food being left in the tank)?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:24 AM
ZEOadmin

At the moment you can not do much because of the nutrients the situation. Please check the reactor flow if the flow is adequate and adjust your skimmer to skim more wet cleaning it daily. Optional dosing 16 drops BioMate every other day can be helpful also.

I would recommend to wait before adding corals if possible until the PO4 level starts do drop. The level of 0.11 mg will not cause issues for the corals but you do not know how it change in the next couple of days.

G.Alexander
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 AM
johntekin johntekin 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thanks for the response. You were right about the phosphate level, it is up to 0.17 as of tonight. I will look into purchasing BioMate. Do you feel the source of the phosphate is the new tank and unstable biology or is it the very small amount of food the fish are not eating?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 AM
ZEOadmin

I think it is a combination of both but I would expect the level starts to drop again if the biological processes become more stabile.

G.Alexander