zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 The Dreaded Dino and Zeovit Paradox
Last Post: iamchadster
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 385
0 Cloudy Water
Last Post: jpukla
Replies: 14
Views: 756
0 Starting Zeovit on a new tank and need some help.
Last Post: Lisavet2000
Replies: 43
Views: 2,351
0 New to the forum hybrid zeovit
Last Post: Da8
Replies: 6
Views: 191
0 NEW Video & Contest: Aqamai KPS Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 NEW VID & GIVEAWAY: Finnex LED Nano Reef Tank Lighting
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 55
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Keith Behrle
Replies: 56
Views: 3,280
0 Selbstreinigender Zeolithfilter
Last Post: Spooner
Replies: 14
Views: 1,445
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: Mallard
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 My 5 years tank - Help starting ZEOvit
Last Post: Strazz
Replies: 35
Views: 1,215
More...
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM
elgringodiablo elgringodiablo 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default *HELP* High Nutrients still after almost 2 months

Hi Guys-

I switched two of my systems over to Zeovit, one is going very well, the other isn't handling the switch very well at all. Below are the details of the tank that Zeovit isn't really working on.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 65 US Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 50 US gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - 3 part balling, Aquaforest
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor - Prior to switching to Zeo, I used a GFO reactor, single BRS about half full with BRS High Capacity GFO. After installing my Zeo reactor, I put the GFO in a media bag in the sump.
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV - No
7. What skimmer are you using - Somatic 60S, rated for 50-80 gallons
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 currently 0.22 (Hanna), NO3 currently 32 (Red Sea)
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - CA 485, Alk 8.6, MG 1460 - I know all three are too high and I've turned off my dosers until they work back down to the 420/7.5/1400 range
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Aside from Zeo, I've got a couple of Marinepure plates, about a liter of marinepure balls, about 2 liters of siporax, 4" sandbed, mangroves, about 50lbs of manmade real reef rock
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - 1x Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 1. Run it mostly around 18k for about 8 hours peak.
12. What corals do you keep - Softies and LPS, anemones
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - LPS tends to die, nems aren't very happy, any SPS I've tried in that tank has died pretty quickly.
14. How long has the tank been running - almost a year
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - Seen good results, seems to work well on my nano SPS tank.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - aside from the 3 part, I have used Pohl's Xtra, but holding off for now since my nutrients are too high
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - About 50lbs of real reef manmade rock been in my system for almost a year.
18. Any present problems - High nutrients. Coral deaths.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - I've had a few LPS pieces and anemones wither and die
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.):
Kh - Hanna - New Reagents
CA - Red Sea Pro - 3-4 month old reagents
MG - Red Sea Pro - 5-6 month old reagents
NO - Red Sea Pro - 5-6 month old reagents
PO - Hanna Low Range - New Reagents
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.):
ZEOvit - 500ml every 6 weeks, 100gph flow through Avast Vibe reactor
ZEObak - 2-3 drops every other day
ZEOfood - 2-3 drops every other day
ZEOstart - 0.5ml per day
Pohl's Xtra - 1.0ml twice a week
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - Other parameters good and stable. SG 1.025, Temp 78, Ph 8.2-8.3
23. Which salt brand do you use - Fritz RPM, weekly 10% water changes

My bioload is on the higher side for a tank that size, I have about 9 small to medium sized fish that I feed 2 times per day. I feed about 2 small pinches of pellets that they eat within a minute. Prior to switching to Zeo, I was able to manage my nutrient levels pretty well with Red Sea NoPoX and a GFO reactor. I am a little surprised that two months into this my nutrients are still so high. My RODI water is 0 TDS and my nano tank that also runs Zeo is rocking NO3 - 1-2 and PO4 - 0-0.07, so I am pretty sure it's not my source water.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I do see some problems because of the coral looses:

ZeoVit reactor flow is to high – should be ~ 50 US gallons per hour.
Basic water parameters are to high

Dosing is usually OK but as long as nutrients are high I would recommend to stop dosing ZeoFood and XTra.

The increase of nutrients is another problem which can have many reasons. Can you please post a full tank shot and a picture of your sump ?

G.Alexander
Old 12-05-2017, 02:03 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G.Alexander-

Thanks for getting back to me. I double checked the flow through my reactor and it's probably closer to 64gph (filled a two cup measuring cup in 8 seconds, two times), so I will dial it back a hair. I will also cease dosing the ZEOfood and Pohl's until my nutrients are in a better place.

As far as the setup goes:
It's an Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 all in one that I have drilled out in the back to drain to a Vertex Somatic 60 sump. I've got a secondary pump feeding a manifold that goes to my chiller and Avast Vibe Zeo reactor. It used to feed my GAC and GFO reactors, but I removed those when I added the Zeo reactor. Kind of tight and dark under there, so the pictures aren't the best.
https://imgur.com/a/1LGDz

I appreciate any additional feedback you have to provide.

Best Regards-
Eric
Old 12-06-2017, 05:32 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Thank you for the pictures, in the full tank shot it looks like the sand is very deep. Do you see a chance to change it. Usually with ZeoVit a shallow sand bed about 3 – 5 cm deep is working very well.

You can also try to adjust your skimmer to skim more wet, cleaning it daily to export as much as possible.

1 drop BioMate daily for some time might be helpful also.

G.Alexander
Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the feedback! I can't replace the sand bed, as I have a long tentacle anemone in that system and plan to add more LTAs. Never had luck with them in shallow sand beds.

I will try skimming wet, changing my filter sock multiple times a week and BioMate.