Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 43
More...
Old 08-05-2017, 06:36 AM
crazyryan crazyryan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Green SPS turn pale. Why?

My current tank seems couldn't keep green SPS, which never bothered me before in previous tanks and green was probably the easiest colour. So I am after some thoughts.

Tank is 3' x 2' x 2'.
Water: KH=8, Ca=400, Mg=1300, NO3 & PO4 undetectable all with Salifer kits.

Ok. Water paras have been stable and nothing really wrong. I probably know the possible causes, which are too strong light and too low nutrient.

I have two Hydra 26HD hanging 9' over water surface and these are the setting. 4 hours max with 4 hours ramping up and 4 hours ramping down.

UV 40
Violet 30
Royal Blue 90
Blue 85
Green 25
Deep Red 30
Cool White 65

Nothing wrong so far? Water being too clean with too low nutrient? Probably, I know. There are not much algae on my rocks except those I believe are biofilms. I have started dosing KZ Xtra Special (3ml every two days) and CV (3 drops every night) since May but these don't really help the green.

The problem that buggers me is that other colours are fine, red, blue, purple.......only green turn pale. Why is that?

I have a refugium but I don't think the marco algae inside use up all the iron as I do 10% water change bi weekly. Should I try dosing iron?

Lets see some photos.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 AM
crazyryan crazyryan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

This big one has been around a year. Nice grow but pale.

This one I put it in area with lower light too see if too strong lighting was causing the bleaching. OK, pale.

This was a dark green purple frag but as it grows it seems losing the green pigment.

And this one I just bought 3 weeks ago to see if the problem is still there, and it proves it is.

And this is what it should be (photo from LFS) Greem is losing just in 3 weeks.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Your corals basically look a little bit to light to me, have you already checked the K+ level of your system ?

Please also tell the net water volume of your system and your full dosing regimen.

Which kind of carbon do you use ?

It can also be a lighting spectrum issue.

G.Alexander
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 PM
crazyryan crazyryan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G,

Display tank is 90x50x50cm and the net volumn included sump is about 300L.

I am not running full Zeovit but Prodibio system, Biodigest and Bioptim every 14days.

75ml of Rowaphos, changed every month. Not using active carbon at the moment.

Xtra Special 2ml per day. CV 3 drops per day. Frozen food and Two Little Fish's powder coral food every few days.

No. Never tested K+ level. But I am not using Zeolite I guess the K+ wouldnt be too low?

I agree that my water is probably too clean. You could see the base rocks that I glued the new SPS on are still pretty clean after weeks. No green, brown, or calcareous algae. Live rocks are clean too, except those brown stuffs which we discussed previously and suspected they were biofilm.

There are only 4 fish in the system. I tried to feed them and the coral heavier but not much has improved. Xtra Special and CV seems helped a little bit, but not as significantly as what I read here (like corals go darker after 14 days of dosing Xtra Special) and I have been dosing for 3 months.

Should I try other products to further dirtier my water? How about AA?

I read that Xtra Special contains AA so I didnt further dose AA products. Could Xtra Special substitute AA? Or AA is still needed? I read that some Zeovit user dosing both, so I wonder.

I am also thinking of dosing NO3 to raise the level to maybe 2ppm. I couldnt find KNO3 locally. Maybe some sort of N fertilizer for plants? Basically I do not want to add more PO4 to the system as I am afraid it gets into the rocks and causing algae problem later. So I wonder if raising the N level alone could help the colours like some have experienced.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I don't agree that your tank is to clean. These corals come from places with vast quantities of pristine water. The issue your having is in the genetics of the coral.
Feeding the tank will make the coral turn even more brown.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:20 PM
ZEOadmin

You can never be sure with the K+ level, this element is removed by skimmers and also some salt mixes do have low concentrations. First thing I would try are some bigger water changes to refresh elements in a balanced way. 3 x 20% within 10 days would be a good start. It can also be related to a wrong lighting spectrum.

G.Alexander
Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 AM
crazyryan crazyryan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I agree that gene plays a big part but if a SPS was green then only turns pale after being introduced in the tank, it is not right.

Some updates. After a week of even heavier feeding, and adding 2ml of N fertilizer and 1x Reef Booster yesterday. I just check the NO3 is 5ppm today (with Salifer kit).

I will keep an eye on and check again to see how fast does the NO3 got used up.

I will also try changing more water as well.

G, it is always published that iron is responsible for green colour and when green turns pale you need to add iron. But actually, how often do you see iron is really got depleted when you see green SPS turns pale? Rather than other factors?

I have always kept some marco algae in the sump and I used to dose 1 drop iron per week for years. Honestly I didnt notice any difference so when that bottle of iron supplement was gone I never purchased again.

Personlly I feel the usage of iron is very small and it probably couldn't get depleted with regular WC like 10% biweekly. Could this actually happen? Anyone with Fe test kit that have found their iron got depleted?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM
ZEOadmin

Difficult to say but dosing iron can really improve green coral coloration if everything is fine. From my experience the necessary quantity is small and it can easy be overdosed. Result of overdosing are yellow SPS become green and hair algae start to grow. I have never kept algae in my sump but if algae are in the system they absorb iron so it can indeed be a limiting factor. As all your corals from the pictures look like they have light tissue something else can be the reason also. Starting with more water changes for some time is the first thing I would try.

G.Alexander
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Personally I have some colonies that are bleached and never fully recovered
A lot of stress goes into transport. lack of oxygen can kill outright
I have a lot a sps come and go over the years. Some are just not meant for this world or fish tank
I don't believe it will recover by dosing N to the tank it will just go more brown
All you can do is really stick to the guide and hope for the best