View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 PM
shredded shredded ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default New ZEOvit tank, Algae issues

My tank is 4 months old. I have tried to follow the ZEOvit guide to the best of my ability and I think i may need some guidance of more experienced individuals. Initially I had high nitrate issues but I carried on with the dozing regimen and they dropped. Lots of green algae at the time. A cleanup crew and a tang made short work of it. Had nice pretty purple, red and green rock. however, once the nitrate dropped, I have had an out break of short brown algae.The tang doesn't care for it and the snails don't seem overly aggressive. I have a 100 more snails coming to tomorrow. I would really like to start stocking the tank but I want to make sure it is ready. The brown algae concerns me. Below are my specs. Can one of you pros push me in right direction? Thanks in advance.
Jeff
1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 375 US Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 300 US Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - Not yet. Install next week.
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV - No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Royal Exclusiv Bubble King 200 Deluxe. Internal 180 to 400 US Gallons
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 - 0, NO3 - 0
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Ca - 460, Alk - 8.6, Mg - 1680
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) None. Sump, 3 rows of filter socks, 10 socks total, 800, 400 and 200 micron. Skimmer, 1 Liter carbon in reactor
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 3 x 250 watt metal halide Pheonix Hexarc 14K, 8, 80 watt T5 super actinics. Age 2 months.
12. What corals do you keep - just a few frags, encrusting corals at this point.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) good polyp extension, brown with orange dots, Orange, green with blue dots. Colors are bright.
14. How long has the tank been running - 4 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - To maintain, bright, healthy, fast growing SPS corals.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - Only dosing with ALK and Mg to maintain. Ca is ready but not dosing
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 230 lbs, Fresh live rock flown in from Fiji.
18. Any present problems - Algae bloom.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
Brown Algae bloom, short length, not Diatoms. Makes everything look fuzzy. Some snails are eating it. Have one hundred more snails coming tomorrow. Tang won't touch it.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Mine - all Red Sea Pro (new) repeated by my LFS (Salifert) (new)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) -
1. ZEOvit -3 liters in VERTEX RX-Z 3.0L ZEOLITE REACTOR 90% changed every 6 weeks.
2. ZEObak - 12 drops twice per week, unless folloiwng a ZEOvit change then 12 drops every day for 5 days. Resume twice per week
3. ZEOfood7 - 12 drops twice per week, unless folloiwng a ZEOvit change then 12 drops every day for 5 days. Resume twice per week
4. ZEOstart - 1 ml daily.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Temp 76
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ca 460
Alk 8.6
Mg 1680

23. Which salt brand do you use - Currently ESV 4 part. Considering changing to Fritz RPM. Have heard good things and the parameters are very close to mine. Water changes are done using the Genesis Renew working with the Genesis Storm. 12 gallons changed weekly, 1 gallon at a time.

Attached are some pics of the full system. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	20307   Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	20308   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	173