zeovit.com

zeovit.com (http://www.zeovit.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion - English (http://www.zeovit.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brown Water and Nano (http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37143)

maLx 06-04-2018 01:01 PM

Brown Water and Nano

Hi, All.

So I have a nano with about 25 gallons of water volume. I dose the following.

80ml Carbon
200ml ZEOlite
1 Drop ZEOstart 2x daily
1 Drop ZEObax 2x weekly
1 Drop Sponge Power 2x weekly

I currently have two carpet anemones and two clownfish urchins, snails, and two crabs as a clean up crew. The tank was started with live rock in the sump that was moved over from my ZEOvit SPS tank. I used dry sand and carib sea life rock in the display. The tank inhabitants are doing well.

Alk runs 7, temp 80-82, and nitrates 2.5ppm.

It's lit with a 4 bulb T5, mostly blue and one white bulb.

THERE IS NO SKIMMER

It's been established for three months and I'm still fighting diatoms. They get so bad that the bloom in the water and turn it brown. The issue is probably related to the fact that this tank gets 3-4 hours of direct sun through a window per day. There is no way around it, as I am growing mangroves out the back of the sump behind it and they are starting to grow well (it's the look that I want).

My question is, given this circumstance, what would you guys do to try to fight the brown water? My SPS tank gets direct sun too, not as intense, but I don't have problem algae there. Is it just the fact that the tank is still new, or is there something I can do to slowly try to clean up the water and have it be less brown and there be less diatoms in the sand.

Will post pics of it shortly.

Note, I ran a similar setup with no skimmer with the same animals previously with great success.

Thanks,
Joey

G.Alexander 06-05-2018 04:55 AM

Using ozone temporary might be worth a try but difficult without a skimmer, UV might be another alternative.

G.Alexander

maLx 06-05-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Alexander (?? 338249)
Using ozone temporary might be worth a try but difficult without a skimmer, UV might be another alternative.

G.Alexander

UV sounds interesting and I may give that a try. Amazon has small ones they are in line I can feed off my manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G.Alexander 06-06-2018 03:53 AM

Just switch it off temporary for 2 hours while dosing.

G.Alexander

maLx 06-06-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Alexander (?? 338271)
Just switch it off temporary for 2 hours while dosing.

G.Alexander

Will do. I have an Apex I can configure a feed mode to keep it off for two hours

maLx 06-07-2018 01:45 AM

Alright itís hooked up! Letís see how the water looks over the next few days. Wish me luck!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...558f86ca31.jpg

maLx 06-12-2018 02:12 AM

Wow, it cleared right up. Still having diatoms but at least they arenít in the water!

maLx 06-16-2018 12:21 AM

G.Alexander,

Any tips for getting biology built up enough in the tank to fight diatoms in he sand? They are still going strong in the nano. The rocks are pretty clean but that might be because the urchins take care of them.

G.Alexander 06-16-2018 01:09 AM

Have you already tried CoralSnow Joey ?

Do you use a purest water filter resin for the last stage of your RO unit ?

Are you feeding any kind of food containing iron or iodine ? Algae based foods do often contain them.

G.Alexander

maLx 06-17-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Alexander (?? 338427)
Have you already tried CoralSnow Joey ?

Do you use a purest water filter resin for the last stage of your RO unit ?

Are you feeding any kind of food containing iron or iodine ? Algae based foods do often contain them.

G.Alexander

I haven't tried Coral Snow because I am not running a skimmer. Safe to use with out skimmer? I have a 200 micron filter sock.

RODI has 0 TDS and running double DI stages.

No, feeding frozen.

Nitrates are almost 0.

G.Alexander 06-18-2018 03:35 AM

I have never run a system without a skimmer but I do not see a problem using it. Remove the filter sock temporary while dosing for one hour and than add it back again. If the water is clear wash out the filter sock to clean it up again.

G.Alexander

maLx 06-19-2018 02:10 AM

Ok. Can I use Coral Snow Plus? I donít have regular Coral Snow.

Will start with 0.5ml daily dose.

maLx 06-19-2018 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Alexander (?? 338469)
I have never run a system without a skimmer but I do not see a problem using it. Remove the filter sock temporary while dosing for one hour and than add it back again. If the water is clear wash out the filter sock to clean it up again.

G.Alexander

Also I have ZEOzym too. Is that better?

G.Alexander 06-19-2018 02:56 AM

You can use Zym additional 2 x weekly.

G.Alexander